Is it true there was no hell until Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-10-2011, 07:28 PM
RE: Is it true there was no hell until Jesus?
(07-10-2011 03:52 PM)Ghost Wrote:  It was always my understanding that the Abrahamic religions derived their concepts of monotheism, heaven, hell and angels from Zoroaster.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Thanks Matt I just learned something new today. Never heard of the guy before.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2011, 12:45 AM (This post was last modified: 08-10-2011 01:00 AM by Mr Woof.)
(07-10-2011 07:28 PM)lucradis Wrote:  
(07-10-2011 03:52 PM)Ghost Wrote:  It was always my understanding that the Abrahamic religions derived their concepts of monotheism, heaven, hell and angels from Zoroaster.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Thanks Matt I just learned something new today. Never heard of the guy before.

Hi ghost.
There was a Hell in Persian Zoroastrianism and more or less two "gods" of equal power, Mazda the righteous one and Ahriman the bad guy.

This Hell was not, not as bad as the Christian one; it was more like a purgatory whereby souls did their time and were eventually released.
The souls were weighed on a bridge, and those not reaching the required criterion were carried away by a naked old hag to Hell.

Judaism is a bit unclear; there were and are Hindu and Buddhist Hells--at least for some of their believers, despite many Buddhists claiming to be atheists.

On a more cheerfull note, last check, S.D."Adventurers" look to annihilation (soul sleep) for the unworthy. I think the Witnesses also hold this position.
Any takers?Angel
Find all posts by this user
08-10-2011, 04:46 PM
(08-10-2011 12:45 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  There was a Hell in Persian Zoroastrianism and more or less two "gods" of equal power, Mazda the righteous one and Ahriman the bad guy.

So kinda like a good cop, bad cop situation.

(08-10-2011 12:45 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  On a more cheerfull note, last check, S.D."Adventurers" look to annihilation (soul sleep) for the unworthy. I think the Witnesses also hold this position. Any takers?Angel

How come my big old fat GirlyMan gut is signaling just the opposite. Soul sleep is reserved for the worthy. You get to sleep when you're done, repeat until done. ... Which of course reminds me of a song ...

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Notice how Satan is portrayed in the OT verses the NT. In the book of Job he's part of the divine council. He wasn't the snake in the Garden of Eden. In the NT he's a fallen angel who was the snake that tempted Eve, and he's the ruler of Hell.

BTW, I do think the concept of Hell came from the Greeks' Tartarus. Unworthy Egyptians were eaten by some monstrous creature and were no more.
09-10-2011, 05:34 PM
(08-10-2011 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-10-2011 12:45 AM)Mr Woof Wrote:  On a more cheerfull note, last check, S.D."Adventurers" look to annihilation (soul sleep) for the unworthy. I think the Witnesses also hold this position. Any takers?Angel

How come my big old fat GirlyMan gut is signaling just the opposite. Soul sleep is reserved for the worthy. You get to sleep when you're done, repeat until done. ... Which of course reminds me of a song ...

Turned out to just be gas. Everyone gets the soul sleep and everyone is worthy just by virtue of being.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
10-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Best answer is, "there was no Jesus".

Constantine (Roman Tyrant and dictator in 300 ad) wrote the bible. His guys gathered all of the myths of the region and gave everyone something.

Mythros for example was the god of war for the Roman solders. He became Michael the Arc Angle, gods general.

If you want to find hell, add up all the mythologies of the region and there you go.

The stuff is all made up to keep the surfs in line. It's not bad enough to kill you once "painfully" but you are threatened with punishment after you are dead.