Poll: Is it weird
Yes
No
Only if you think it is
[Show Results]

Is it weird if my crush has a name similar to my mother's name?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2014, 12:07 AM
RE: Is it weird if my crush has a name similar to my mother's name?
I've always dreamed of marrying a girl named Adrianne/Adrienne/Adrien/Adrienn/Adriann. I think it would be awesome.

As for your "issue"...you are purely overthinking things. It doesn't matter at all.

And honestly, being attracted to somebody similar to your mother is not unusual (even if that isn't the case here, what you are looking at is likely coincidence). But your mother is your first example of the opposite sex, and assuming you are a heterosexual, can be used as a template to measure other females up against (for some people, especially while you are younger).

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2014, 12:15 AM
My father married three times: Laura, Loraine, Lorie. Now that says a lot.

Once you get to know this girl, she will become, for you, an individual then her name will individualize and distinguish her to you and apart from your mother..

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
25-09-2014, 06:01 AM
(24-09-2014 12:50 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  Here's the gist of my current situation within high school.

I like a girl, like any other person would within high school, and I have decided that I am going to ask her to go to homecoming with me.

I told my sister of this, and she laughed when she heard both the hair color and the name of my "crush".

My sister laughed at the fact that the girl I like has the name of "Veronica", while my mother's name is "Ronni" (Yes, just Ronni, not Veronica). My sister also laughed at the fact that they are both blondes.

It bothers me when Veronica's friends call her Ronni because of the facts at hand.

To cut a long story short, my sister basically stated that this "crush" was sort of weird.

I have already told all of my friends that I am going to ask her out to homecoming, one of whom will punch me as hard as he can in the arm if I do not follow through, another of which will tell a deranged drug dealer that I called him a "faggot", probably resulting in my subsequent death.

So, is it weird to have a crush on a girl with a similar name to your mother's (never mind hair color because blonde is a common hair color at my school)?

My heart-brain complex tells me that I should follow through with my plan to ask her, but the centers of my brain dealing in humiliation tell me otherwise.

Please help, I really need advice.

it really doesn't seem that weird to me, blonde is one of the more common hair colors for white girls, and veronica is a very common female name. If it really bothers you that much then after you start dating for a couple weeks give her a pet name and try to convince her to go brunette.
[+] 1 user Likes Mage The Entertainer's post
25-09-2014, 06:07 AM
Is it weird that two women have similar names? Given that names are very limited, not to mention linguistic and regional preferences, not at all. Unless your mom's name were something like "Roxanne", it's not weird.

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
25-09-2014, 06:26 AM
(25-09-2014 06:07 AM)One Above All Wrote:  Is it weird that two women have similar names? Given that names are very limited, not to mention linguistic and regional preferences, not at all. Unless your mom's name were something like "Roxanne", it's not weird.

Like you said, names can be regional, Roxanne doesn't seem odd to me, I knew about 6 of them in high school.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
25-09-2014, 06:38 AM
(25-09-2014 06:26 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(25-09-2014 06:07 AM)One Above All Wrote:  Is it weird that two women have similar names? Given that names are very limited, not to mention linguistic and regional preferences, not at all. Unless your mom's name were something like "Roxanne", it's not weird.

Like you said, names can be regional, Roxanne doesn't seem odd to me, I knew about 6 of them in high school.

I've never known anyone named Roxanne (online or IRL), so it seemed like an odd name to me.
Regional and linguistic preferences. Gotta love 'em. Wink
(Also, I kinda checked an online "Most unusual names" list, and "Roxanne" was on it, so...)

The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
25-09-2014, 06:46 AM (This post was last modified: 25-09-2014 06:53 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
(25-09-2014 06:38 AM)One Above All Wrote:  
(25-09-2014 06:26 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Like you said, names can be regional, Roxanne doesn't seem odd to me, I knew about 6 of them in high school.

I've never known anyone named Roxanne (online or IRL), so it seemed like an odd name to me.
Regional and linguistic preferences. Gotta love 'em. Wink
(Also, I kinda checked an online "Most unusual names" list, and "Roxanne" was on it, so...)

I think they were all born before the song by The Police, the visual of Eddie Murphy singing that song might have had a small impact on what people name their daughters. Weeping

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
25-09-2014, 06:50 AM
I think both my brothers and I dated girls with our mother's name. Her name is relatively common. It was never a big deal.
26-09-2014, 08:42 AM
TL: DR - So you wanna date a girl named Mom?...

But seriously, I haven't known anyone actually happy to have their name shortened from Veronica to Roni... Except a girl who now identifies as a man. But, I wouldn't be concerned with dating a girl who has the same name as my mother (other than it not being a particularly good name).

I've never really understood the Oedipus complex thing either. My Mom is a fantastic mother, and she is fairly logical. Beyond that, there's no way I'd want to be with someone like her *shudders*.

I recently dated a girl who is almost 10 years younger than me. She kept comparing me to her dad. That kinda creeped me out. Also made me feel old, but mostly just creeped out.

Just go for it dude. Names are just silly little things anyway.
26-09-2014, 01:44 PM
BTW She said no. I'm not mad at her for not wanting to go to homecoming with me, but I am mad at myself for thinking she might actually say yes. Censored