Is it wrong to eat meat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2017, 03:37 AM
Is it wrong to eat meat?
First things first: Yet I think it is actually wrong to eat meat I do it myself and I wont judge anyone who does.

I thought about this matter a couple of times and I found a very simple but also very strong argument against the consumption of meat.

Even though the animal you eat would kill you and possibly eat you at any given moment it had a chance and the possibility to it's wrong to eat meat. By that I mean that the only reason a cow doesn't kill and eat you is because its teeth and its anatomy are not built for killing and consuming meat. Yet its healthy instinct (like in every other being including humans) says it should survive at any cost and use any energy source it can find and process.

Humans also have this instinct but it got overlapped by the rational mind and some sort of free will (no matter whether actual free will exists). This creates the possibility to chose.

And the choice is very simple.

Why would you in the situation of choice between a higher standing and a lower standing being decide to eat the higher standing? Because it tastes better? That is just hilarious and primitive.

By choosing to act as a being unlike an animal you actually should refuse to consume meat.

Yet - as I said - I consume meat myself and I think I am just to weak to become a vegetarian (veganism is a different matter). But I do not try to be perfectly good. By trying to be perfectly good you could not even kill a spider in your house or else...

Whatd do you think? What do you think about my points? Do you consume meat? Do you think it is right/wrong and why? Are there any other good arguments against the consumption of meat you want to share?

Have a nice day!

[ Censored ] bless! Wink

"The possible ranks higher than the actual."

- Martin Heidegger
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2017, 04:10 AM
RE: Is it wrong to eat meat?
At work.

Hello! Big Grin

So, humans being animals ourselves are 'Omnivores'.

We pretty much do and, from a dietry stand point, have to eat a wide variety of things for our nutrients to stay healthy.

That's just the biology of the situation.

Your comment would seem to come across more for 'Feels' than anything else.

Anthropomorphising other critters isn't that good a thing to do either. Cows, horses etc (Actually a LOT of large herhivores) are easily capable of killing other creatures regardless of them wanting to eat them.

They just kill them to drive them out of the territory etc.

Hope my short ramble is informative/helpful etc. Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
26-01-2017, 04:14 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2017 04:20 AM by Praying Birds.)
(26-01-2017 04:10 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  At work.

Hello! Big Grin

So, humans being animals ourselves are 'Omnivores'.

We pretty much do and, from a dietry stand point, have to eat a wide variety of things for our nutrients to stay healthy.

That's just the biology of the situation.

Your comment would seem to come across more for 'Feels' than anything else.

Anthropomorphising other critters isn't that good a thing to do either. Cows, horses etc (Actually a LOT of large herhivores) are easily capable of killing other creatures regardless of them wanting to eat them.

They just kill them to drive them out of the territory etc.

Hope my short ramble is informative/helpful etc. Thumbsup

Yet we are Omnivores we can choose to not eat meat. And that's the point. Also do we not need to eat meat as there are many other ways to get a healthy nutrition without it! It's a myth that vegetarians are unhealthy. By no means we are in need to consume meat and choose to eat the higher standing being over the lower standing.

But thank you for your comment, I didn't know horses use to kill other horses. I think they might possibly eat them if they could process meat. But this still sounds like a dumb argument to me as humans would probably eat stones as well if we could process them Wink

What I want to say is basically that an animal doesn't care about you in the same way we care about them. Its major effort is to survive at any cost to produce offsprings unlike humans who have not the slightest of meaning in their lives lol. (just kidding)

"The possible ranks higher than the actual."

- Martin Heidegger
26-01-2017, 04:28 AM
(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  First things first: Yet I think it is actually wrong to eat meat I do it myself and I wont judge anyone who does.

I thought about this matter a couple of times and I found a very simple but also very strong argument against the consumption of meat.

Even though the animal you eat would kill you and possibly eat you at any given moment it had a chance and the possibility to it's wrong to eat meat. By that I mean that the only reason a cow doesn't kill and eat you is because its teeth and its anatomy are not built for killing and consuming meat. Yet its healthy instinct (like in every other being including humans) says it should survive at any cost and use any energy source it can find and process.

Humans also have this instinct but it got overlapped by the rational mind and some sort of free will (no matter whether actual free will exists). This creates the possibility to chose.

And the choice is very simple.

Why would you in the situation of choice between a higher standing and a lower standing being decide to eat the higher standing? Because it tastes better? That is just hilarious and primitive.

By choosing to act as a being unlike an animal you actually should refuse to consume meat.

Yet - as I said - I consume meat myself and I think I am just to weak to become a vegetarian (veganism is a different matter). But I do not try to be perfectly good. By trying to be perfectly good you could not even kill a spider in your house or else...

Whatd do you think? What do you think about my points? Do you consume meat? Do you think it is right/wrong and why? Are there any other good arguments against the consumption of meat you want to share?

Have a nice day!

[ Censored ] bless! Wink

I'd pick eating the meat over the grass. Because when cooked it has greater nutritional benefit to me alone than roughage alone. Also because I am a product of millennia of selective pressures which encouraged the consumption of meat and fruits over harder, less useful strictly vegetarian fare in my countless generations of forebears, as such my body is all but built to prefer one over the other, which reflects in my decision making process; sure I have the capacity to choose, but the influence is inarguable.

Because I feel pedantic right now, survival is not the instinctive be-all-end-all. If it was, animals would be voluntarily procreate, which many do, due to the enormous tax such action bears. And Chimps are known to prefer flesh over fruit when available; we aren't the only ones.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
26-01-2017, 04:34 AM
At work.

No, we can't easily 'Not eat meat'.

The making of the alternates/supplements ingested stuff instead of meat use more resourses than just eating meat.

*Note: Please, more science/tech literate folks weigh in here.

Your comment again seems to come down to 'Feels'.

As I said, large herbivores can and do kill humans because *Shrug* humans are squishy and we get stepped on.

Hipopotomi kill more people in Africa than do crocodiles.

Also, after centuries/millenia of farming our domesticated animals will NOT survive without human care.

If you don't milk modern cows? Their udders pretty much explode.
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
26-01-2017, 04:43 AM
I do eat meat, but I must say I do feel guilty about it on occasion.
Whether it's wrong to eat meat is all about your personal feelings, so if you feel it's wrong, stop eating it.
[+] 1 user Likes Manic's post
26-01-2017, 04:58 AM
My cow loves me.
Have a nice day.
Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
26-01-2017, 05:09 AM
Naturally no, that is just how the food chain and survival work.

When it comes to Ethical reasons well, that is different for each person and that is only something you can answer yourself.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
26-01-2017, 05:22 AM
Humans are animals, more advanced but animals nonetheless. I don't see eating meat as sign of weakness, nor I see it like something immoral. In fact I think that people bringing morality into subject of food are trying hard to feel superrior over others, but in my eyes at least not eating meat isn't something to be proud off. It's just preference, maybe healthier, maybe not.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
26-01-2017, 05:51 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2017 05:55 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
Like our chimpanzee cousins, we are omnivorous animals. Omnivore means "eats all". As in we need the things found in meat and the things found in plants to survive. It doesn't mean "herbivore or carnivore".

We can choose to live as herbivores, but only with a carefully-chosen diet that replaces the things (often poorly, unless the regimen is very carefully followed) that we would more easily get from simply eating meat. We could just as easily live on all meat, with proper nutritional supplements, but it would be difficult and doesn't turn us into carnivores. If you wish to add that level of complexity to your life, for the sake of a moral crusade, that's fine. Religious people do weirder things for weirder reasons.

But don't confuse your feels for some "higher" moral standing.

Don't pretend you're not an animal, and that acting "like an animal" is somehow different from being human, or that we're bad if we follow our evolutionary heritage.

And don't try to come here (or anywhere) and preach at people about how "sinful" (however you choose to call it) they are, by your standards, and expect anything civil in return.

You would be better off arguing that it takes less ecological energy (and thus land/fertilizer/fuel/etc) to produce X number of plant-based calories than it does to produce the same amount of meat. But what to do about that? Want to enforce vegetarianism on everyone, on behalf of "the environment"? Good luck with that suggestion at a political level! More realistically, meat will become increasingly expensive (for the aforementioned reasons) until people are forced to eat more plants--as has happened in much of Asia--or come up with palatable alternatives such as cloned meats or better faux meats. As the price of meat goes up and the price of the alternatives goes down, people will make the switch.

Meanwhile, I'd like you to take your moralizing, reach way waaaayyyyy back, and shove it up your ass.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 5 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post