Is it wrong to eat meat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2017, 08:13 AM
RE: Is it wrong to eat meat?
I'm guessing by his/her posting record that Praying Birds was basically a drive-by (no posts for 6 weeks).

Whatever, I'm always amused by people who say things like "I think it is actually wrong to eat meat I do it myself and I wont judge anyone who does" but then goes on to do exactly that—even by implication or the overtones of their following comments.

Praying Birds then says "by choosing to act as a being unlike an animal you actually should refuse to consume meat" which is self-contradictory. Many animals eat other animals (obviously!) and we humans, despite the religionists' denials, are only animals—from a taxonomic standpoint.

BTW, the debate around meat-eating versus vegetarianism as a human health issue shouldn't be conflated with the debate about the inhumane treatment of food-source animals.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
09-03-2017, 10:38 AM
Here my (hopefully) final statement regarding the issue of eating meat (and fish):

I don't think that eating meat every day is neccessary for humans to stay healthy. What about once or twice a week? As a (mostely) vegetarian eater I can say that not eating meat isn't in any way hindering me to do and say what I want to do and say.

How the animals that are consumed by humans are treated is a huge issue in my view. Our fellow mammalian and non-mammlian beings should have a life that is worth living. They have natural needs, wants and desires that should be met. The mass-production of meat products in western societys surely don't take those needs, wants and desires sufficiently into consideration. Bio-farming could be a solution.

It is a fact that huge amounts of food are wasted by all western societys everyday. That indicates abuse of resourses. Which isn't an efficiant and effective way to deal with nature who we depend upon.

A lot of humans in the western societies are addicted to certain foods. They have over-weight and other health problems because of that and that is a sign of decadence and devolution.

But inside of the capitalistic economical paradigm, which only deals in maximising the share-holders investments, that's what is part of the result of such (un-natural and un-healthy) paradigm.

Eliminate the cause of a problem and the results of that change will follow naturally. Don't let multi-national cooperations and organisations deciede what kind of food will be in the stores of the communities where people actually live and work.

Yes, it's that simple.
09-03-2017, 10:55 AM
(09-03-2017 10:38 AM)Billanja Wrote:  I don't think that eating meat every day is neccessary for humans to stay healthy. What about once or twice a week? As a (mostely) vegetarian eater I can say that not eating meat isn't in any way hindering me to do and say what I want to do and say.

It may be not necessary but I see no reason for which meat shouldn't be consumed only for pleasure of eating it. You think meat once or twice a week is enough? Good for you. Others can have different opinion.

Quote:How the animals that are consumed by humans are treated is a huge issue in my view.

In mine not. That is I don't have problem with consumption, but I see no problem in my future meal being treated right.

Quote:Our fellow mammalian and non-mammlian beings should have a life that is worth living. They have natural needs, wants and desires that should be met.

Should? Cause you say so?

Quote:The mass-production of meat products in western societys surely don't take those needs, wants and desires sufficiently into consideration. Bio-farming could be a solution.

So what? You think that other animals needs, wants and desires should be met. I don't. And since you gave no good reasons then I doubt you will change anyone mind.

Quote:It is a fact that huge amounts of food are wasted by all western societys everyday. That indicates abuse of resourses. Which isn't an efficiant and effective way to deal with nature who we depend upon.

And what is your solution?

Quote:A lot of humans in the western societies are addicted to certain foods.

Citation needed.

Quote:They have over-weight and other health problems because of that and that is a sign of decadence and devolution.

Solution?

Quote:But inside of the capitalistic economical paradigm, which only deals in maximising the share-holders investments, that's what is part of the result of such (un-natural and un-healthy) paradigm.

Eliminate the cause of a problem and the results of that change will follow naturally. Don't let multi-national cooperations and organisations deciede what kind of food will be in the stores of the communities where people actually live and work.

Yes, it's that simple.

Spectre of vegetarianism is haunting world?

Eliminating capitalism will cause people to abandon eating meat, cause eating meat
is forced onto people by big corporations? I got you right?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
09-03-2017, 11:56 AM
Why don't people in western societys eat cats and dogs?

Because they have them as pets. And that means, basically, they treat them as equals of some sort. But cows, pigs and chickens aren't that close to those who eat this kind of animals. That's why they don't care about eating them.

Or do you wanna tell me it's a matter of taste? Cats and dogs don't taste as good as cows, pigs, goats and chickens do? How comes westerners think that dogs and cats aren't tastey?

Furthermore, and now it gets a bit creepy: Why don't we eat our dead relatives?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alive_(1993_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green
09-03-2017, 12:02 PM
(09-03-2017 11:56 AM)Billanja Wrote:  Why don't people in western societys eat cats and dogs?

Cultural taboo I suppose. Not that I care much.

Quote:Because they have them as pets. And that means, basically, they treat them as equals of some sort. But cows, pigs and chickens aren't that close to those who eat this kind of animals. That's why they don't care about eating them.

People don't eat animals that they like playing with (horses being exempt I guess). So what?

As for treating animals as equals - citation needed.

Quote:Or do you wanna tell me it's a matter of taste? Cats and dogs don't taste as good as cows, pigs, goats and chickens do? How comes westerners think that dogs and cats aren't tastey?

You have some actual point? Or you just want to rant that not everyone agrees with your opinion about eating meat?

Quote:Furthermore, and now it gets a bit creepy: Why don't we eat our dead relatives?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alive_(1993_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soylent_Green

Ever heard about taboos tied to cannibalism and kuru disease?

Also it is best that you got to prove your point? Why humans don't eat humans?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
09-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Quote:Why don't people in western societys eat cats and dogs?
Habit/culture

Quote:Furthermore, and now it gets a bit creepy: Why don't we eat our dead relatives?

Prion diseases, and angry relatives of the dinner.
[+] 4 users Like M. Linoge's post
09-03-2017, 12:32 PM
I don't have to prove anything here. I just state an opinion. Just like everybody else.

What is not an opinion? What works all the time without failure. For example: Dental medicine. It can fill the teeth of all kinds of mammals the same way and it will have the same results. THAT is what I call being not an opinion. It works. All the time. When applied by an expert.

In the field of mere opinions, which is what we deal in here, mine is a good as the next one. It basically is a popularity contest. But dentists, who do their job, don't deal in having a (popular) opinion when they do their job. They apply a scientific method to their patients teeth. And it works, all the time. Because it is science, a valid method that works with almost no exeption. What they do is not a (mere) opinion.

Let's talk about hard scientific facts in the field of nutrition. Yeah, that's gonna be a long, bumpy but boring ride, I assume.

Little Shop of Horrors - Dentist Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOtMizMQ6oM
09-03-2017, 12:38 PM
(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  First things first: Yet I think it is actually wrong to eat meat I do it myself and I wont judge anyone who does.
---

Why would it be wrong to eat meat? Animal populations need to be controlled and there is nothing wrong with using their meat for nutrition. I do think it's wrong to waste food.

Judging someone for what they eat would be an attribute I would rather not acquire. Now, if someone (2 particular friends) complains that they have heart disease or are morbidly obese while in the next breath are declaring they "refuse to touch a vegetable" ... I just shrug my shoulders. People are stupid which is something I can not control. Dodgy

The term vegetarian should not to be confused with the term vegan. The vegan diet - and I suppose, lifestyle - rejects any and all animal products. This is absolutely not my thing. Some can do it fairly well - just not me.

I primarily eat a vegetarian diet supplemented with certain amino acids & b-12 stuff and every now and then, I have a bite of raw fish. Smile Yay sushi! I consider myself a vegetarian omnivore, with a greater emphasis on the vegetarian part.

My diet is individual to my tastes and requirements. I happen to like vegetables and find them to provide greater variety of flavor than many or most animal products. There are a few animal meats I have a nibble of a couple of times a year - I enjoy the flavor of lamb and if I'm with friends having some, I'll pinch a bite off their plate. Just a taste, not an entire serving.

My personal taste for animal flesh runs to something I may never have tried or simply a taste of some fresh, wild game. And yes, sushi - maybe once a week or so, I might have a small piece of raw or seared tuna, perhaps salmon, raw or smoked or possibly just some kind of row - yum to the fish ova. Thumbsup

An odd thing ... Consider I seem to get a shitload of flack, especially from heavy duty carnivores, for not eating meat - specifically beef or chicken. As if it's a personal affront to their well being. I've occasionally found myself being downright bullied. The really odd thing about the entire situation is that these beefy boys are the same ones who are completely disgusted just to hear the word sushi.

But hey - fuck their fat, bullying, diseased asses. On the whole, I'm healthier than them ... and often older, too. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
09-03-2017, 12:38 PM
(09-03-2017 12:32 PM)Billanja Wrote:  I don't have to prove anything here. I just state an opinion. Just like everybody else.

What is not an opinion? What works all the time without failure. For example: Dental medicine. It can fill the teeth of all kinds of mammals the same way and it will have the same results. THAT is what I call being not an opinion. It works. All the time. When applied by an expert.

In the field of mere opinions, which is what we deal in here, mine is a good as the next one. It basically is a popularity contest. But dentists, who do their job, don't deal in having a (popular) opinion when they do their job. They apply a scientific method to their patients teeth. And it works, all the time. Because it is science, a valid method that works with almost no exeption. What they do is not a (mere) opinion.

And your point is? This rant serves some purpose?

Quote:Let's talk about hard scientific facts in the field of nutrition. Yeah, that's gonna be a long, bumpy but boring ride, I assume.

I don't give a damn about hard scientific facts in the field on nutrition. I'm capable of of deciding what I want to eat myself.

Mikhail Bakunin.
09-03-2017, 12:40 PM
(09-03-2017 11:56 AM)Billanja Wrote:  Why don't people in western societys eat cats and dogs?

Evil_monster

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post