Is it wrong to eat meat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-03-2017, 12:44 PM
RE: Is it wrong to eat meat?
The simple answer in my opinion to many of the above sentiments, as mentioned earlier in the thread, is empathetic expression. Through no fault of our own, we don't all experience empathy on the same level or for the same things. If eating meat doesn't make you feel bad enough to outweigh its perceived benefit, then you will not find it to be wrong. And expanding beyond that, if you belong to a culture in which cats and dogs are not as widely domesticated and bonded with, you are less likely to perceive them as being any different from those animals you'd define as being for consumption.

The fact that my mirror neurons are a bunch of lazy bastards doesn't make me evil. I'm as much a victim of fate as the animals are Weeping

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
09-03-2017, 12:55 PM
(09-03-2017 12:40 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 11:56 AM)Billanja Wrote:  Why don't people in western societys eat cats and dogs?

Evil_monster

Just a question. Worthy to be asked in this particular kind of discussion. Don't yah think so too?
09-03-2017, 01:04 PM
(09-03-2017 12:55 PM)Billanja Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 12:40 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Evil_monster

Just a question. Worthy to be asked in this particular kind of discussion. Don't yah think so too?

Sure. Don't take my smartassedness or my bad sense of humour personally Big Grin

To give a more in depth answer than a random emoticon, I suppose it depends on what you define as western. I've had dog in South America, I know you can get cat and dog sausage in Switzerland, and in my oddball circle of friends here in the US/Canada I know more than a few people who'd eat dog here too if it were legal.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
09-03-2017, 01:16 PM
(09-03-2017 01:04 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(09-03-2017 12:55 PM)Billanja Wrote:  Just a question. Worthy to be asked in this particular kind of discussion. Don't yah think so too?

Sure. Don't take my smartassedness or my bad sense of humour personally Big Grin

To give a more in depth answer than a random emoticon, I suppose it depends on what you define as western. I've had dog in South America, I know you can get cat and dog sausage in Switzerland, and in my oddball circle of friends here in the US/Canada I know more than a few people who'd eat dog here too if it were legal.

What?!?! That is disgusting!!!

Big Grin
13-03-2017, 02:25 PM
i personally don't eat meat. as for whether or not eating it is wrong, define wrong. it's not unnatural to eat it as we can physically recognize it as food and eat it. our bodies aren't perfectly adapted to process it although i suppose certain behavioral adaptations help with that.
it isnt necessary these days to eat meat. food is everywhere in the first world and our protein and calorie needs can be met without eating meat. again, this doesnt mean we shouldnt eat it.
whether or not it's right to raise animals for the purpose of eating them is a different matter. i have respect for people who raise their own meat instead of simply buying already packaged meat from a store.
i think factory farming is a problem. it's cruel and wasteful. it pollutes and destroys habitat. cattle release methane and growing plants for consumption by livestock uses a lot of resources. also, the meat from factory farmed animals isnt healthy for people to eat.

i wont tell people what to do but they should at least be aware of what they are getting into.
[+] 1 user Likes seagull's post
17-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Some buddhist enlightenment, only for fun:

It is beneficial to not cause suffering. It is impossible to not cause suffering. So, middle path. I am a human species who evolved as omnivore. I would like to do this as non-suffering way as possible.

I love bacon so much.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
17-03-2017, 01:07 PM
(17-03-2017 12:49 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Some buddhist enlightenment, only for fun:

It is beneficial to not cause suffering. It is impossible to not cause suffering. So, middle path. I am a human species who evolved as omnivore. I would like to do this as non-suffering way as possible.

I love bacon so much.

Throwing this in just to be an ass and spoil everyone's image of Buddhism, not to be confused with neo-Buddhism Tongue

Buddhist vegetarianism had more to do with giving up perceived luxuries than animal welfare. For the same reasons that the traditional Buddhists of old would avoid consuming meat during certain periods, they would also sacrifice animals. Meat was seen as a luxury, and avoiding or even disposing of luxuries (i.e. strapping a goat to a sacrificial alter or giving up some other thing of value) was simply a way of proving once's disconnect with the material world and achieving enlightenment and all that fancy stuff.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
17-03-2017, 01:24 PM
(17-03-2017 01:07 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 12:49 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Some buddhist enlightenment, only for fun:

I love bacon so much.

Throwing this in just to be an ass and spoil everyone's image of Buddhism, not to be confused with neo-Buddhism Tongue

Buddhist vegetarianism had more to do with giving up perceived luxuries than animal welfare. For the same reasons that the traditional Buddhists of old would avoid consuming meat during certain periods, they would also sacrifice animals. Meat was seen as a luxury, and avoiding or even disposing of luxuries (i.e. strapping a goat to a sacrificial alter or giving up some other thing of value) was simply a way of proving once's disconnect with the material world and achieving enlightenment and all that fancy stuff.

[Image: B_zpswprxbjnw.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
17-03-2017, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2017 02:36 PM by jennybee.)
I like the yogic/Hindu philosophy that all beings have a light within and are deserving of loving kindness and to live lives free of suffering. Whether you're a meat eater or vegan, I think we could all do better as a society with the way we treat animals. OM LOKAH SAMASTAH SUKHINO BHAVANTU is one of my favorite Sanskrit sayings/mantras. It's a little woo but I like it:

Lokah: The location of all universes existing at this moment
Samastah: All beings living in this location
Sukhino: In happiness, joy and free from all suffering
Bhav: The divine mood or state of union
Antu: May it be so
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
17-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Only if it's still kicking.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce