Is it wrong to eat meat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-03-2017, 05:57 PM
RE: Is it wrong to eat meat?
(17-03-2017 02:29 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I like the yogic/Hindu philosophy that all beings have a light within and are deserving of loving kindness and to live lives free of suffering. Whether you're a meat eater or vegan, I think we could all do better as a society with the way we treat animals...

Totally agree. Even as a meat eater, I'm disgusted with the apparent disdain the wider population treats animals with here in Australia.

My pet peeve at the moment is horse racing, and in particular jumps/hurdles. Some states have banned jumping, but a couple—where I live in Victoria, plus South Australia—still permit them. Every season we have 15 or twenty horses put down (murdered) at track-side because of falls, mainly broken leg bones. So while the dopey punters are screaming wildly about their horse winning, and the lousy ten bucks they'll make, behind hastily erected screens a horse is being shot.

Owners/trainers simply will not pay the (admittedly) high dollar costs to rehabilitate these injured horses, and put them out to pasture. In Australia, we race horses that are far too young, with consequently underdeveloped bone strength.

Horses aren't skeletally mature until around five years of age, but we race them as young as two years here. In Australia, one study of two- and three-year-old thoroughbred racehorses reported that 85% suffered from at least one episode of illness or injury, while another study reported that 40% of these horses were unsound at the end of the season.

/off soapbox. Undecided

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
17-03-2017, 08:17 PM
(17-03-2017 02:29 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I like the yogic/Hindu philosophy that all beings have a light within and are deserving of loving kindness and to live lives free of suffering. Whether you're a meat eater or vegan, I think we could all do better as a society with the way we treat animals. OM LOKAH SAMASTAH SUKHINO BHAVANTU is one of my favorite Sanskrit sayings/mantras. It's a little woo but I like it:

Lokah: The location of all universes existing at this moment
Samastah: All beings living in this location
Sukhino: In happiness, joy and free from all suffering
Bhav: The divine mood or state of union
Antu: May it be so

I'm going to dispute this on the point that if somebody has light inside them, something has probably gone wrong.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
17-03-2017, 08:19 PM
(17-03-2017 08:17 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(17-03-2017 02:29 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I like the yogic/Hindu philosophy that all beings have a light within and are deserving of loving kindness and to live lives free of suffering. Whether you're a meat eater or vegan, I think we could all do better as a society with the way we treat animals. OM LOKAH SAMASTAH SUKHINO BHAVANTU is one of my favorite Sanskrit sayings/mantras. It's a little woo but I like it:

Lokah: The location of all universes existing at this moment
Samastah: All beings living in this location
Sukhino: In happiness, joy and free from all suffering
Bhav: The divine mood or state of union
Antu: May it be so

I'm going to dispute this on the point that if somebody has light inside them, something has probably gone wrong.

Laugh out load

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
20-03-2017, 04:07 PM
Personally I don't think it's wrong. From what I've seen all life must consume life to live and grow. I do kinda think there's better ways we can live. If someone does eat meat I would hope they would treat the animals with kindness and compassion.

There's always room for us to improve ourselves and our lives. One of the best ways is by asking questions. Cheers for that.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post