Is it wrong to eat meat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2017, 06:02 AM
RE: Is it wrong to eat meat?
Seems a bit theological to separate humans from other animals.

That said, it may be that people now are eating more meat than is biologically ideal, given our longer expected lifespans these days. And meat that comes with a lot of added hormones, antibiotics, etc., has its own health risks.

I think there are decent arguments for less meat in our diets and for better treatment of the animals we use for meat, but I don't agree that eating meat is immoral per se.

I don't like meat all that much personally and often go for a few weeks at a time without eating it; it wouldn't be difficult for me to stop eating meat altogether. But that's a taste position, not a moral position.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
26-01-2017, 06:30 AM
Until a human being can sink down roots into the ground, and use photosynthesis to turn minerals in the ground into flesh - we're going to be stuck consuming what we can to survive.

You don't get the moral high ground by consuming the only living things that CAN perform the photosynthesis trick.

In fact -- I think it would make you LESS moral.

It makes you a speciesist ---- that is, a racist discriminating on "lower" species.

Plant killing motherfuckers, anyway.. I bet there's some avocados that think you're a total wanker.

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-01-2017, 06:46 AM
Plants try to stay alive and reproduce the same as animals. All life does, and all life consumes either other life or a product thereof.

Since mammals all have central nervous systems and a hormonal household, they feel things much the same we do, so we can relate to them better.

Death is part of life and all life faces it. Once you are dead, you are dead and things don't matter to you. So what matters is not death, but life.

So, I am all for giving animals the best life and death experience possible before I eat them.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
26-01-2017, 07:11 AM
I tried to make a completely vegan meal once, but there just wasn't enough meat on them.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Gawdzilla's post
26-01-2017, 07:26 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2017 07:33 AM by jennybee.)
While I am vegan, I don't think it's wrong to eat meat. I do think its wrong to treat animals inhumanely. I also think that some meat is not the healthiest that comes from factory farms. There does need to be more humane practices in factory farms both for the animals and for the people who consume their meat.

I have said this before on here and I know it shocks some people, but I'm an advocate of hunting (and being humane about it) for the purpose of food and not sport. If you are going to eat meat, the meat from hunting is healthier and the animal lived its life outdoors in its natural habitat.
[+] 10 users Like jennybee's post
26-01-2017, 07:31 AM
(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  First things first: Yet I think it is actually wrong to eat meat I do it myself and I wont judge anyone who does.

You truly think something is "wrong" and you do it anyway? That's a rather odd opening statement.

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  I thought about this matter a couple of times and I found a very simple but also very strong argument against the consumption of meat.

I'm guessing by "wrong" you mean morally/ethically wrong rather than biologically wrong. It is an undisputable fact that we are animals with bodies that have evolved to eat both animal and vegetable matter. In other words we are omnivores. So it cannot be "wrong" biologically.

Morally/Ethically wrong? That would depend on your personal beliefs.

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  Even though the animal you eat would kill you and possibly eat you at any given moment it had a chance and the possibility to it's wrong to eat meat.

I'm not sure that's valid. We don't look at a predator like a shark and say "well he would eat me if he had the chance, so I'm going to eat him." That's adding a moral aspect to a biological situation.

There are only two questions:
1) Is the potential food source a viable source of nutrition?
2) Is the potential predator capable of killing and consuming the potential food source?

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  By that I mean that the only reason a cow doesn't kill and eat you is because its teeth and its anatomy are not built for killing and consuming meat. Yet its healthy instinct (like in every other being including humans) says it should survive at any cost and use any energy source it can find and process.

If an animal is an herbivore than eating carnivorously would NOT be a healthy instinct. Eating meat would make the animal physically ill and diminish rather than increase chances of survival.

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  Humans also have this instinct but it got overlapped by the rational mind and some sort of free will (no matter whether actual free will exists). This creates the possibility to chose.

Nope. Our rational minds are much less rational than we like to think. When it all comes down to it, we often cannot define why we do what we do. Secondly, you can't say "free will" and then say the existence of free will does not matter. If you are postulating a choice, then you are postulating free will.

On a side note: You are basing your premise on morality and free will. Have you read any of the other threads on these topics?

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  Why would you in the situation of choice between a higher standing and a lower standing being decide to eat the higher standing?

Define "higher and lower standing".

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  Because it tastes better? That is just hilarious and primitive.

Preference is neither hilarious nor primitive. It is biological. Don't believe me? Take the food you hate the most. The nastiest, most repulsive food, the stuff that makes you gag as soon as you smell it.

Now choose that to be your favorite food. Make yourself love it.

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  By choosing to act as a being unlike an animal you actually should refuse to consume meat.

You cannot act as a being unlike an animal. We are animals. We like to think that we are "higher" animals, and often we try to behave as such. But civilized behavior is an illusion that vanishes under scrutiny. For evidence all you have to do is watch the news.

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  But I do not try to be perfectly good. By trying to be perfectly good you could not even kill a spider in your house or else...

Again, morality. What about poisonous spiders?

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  Whatd do you think? What do you think about my points? Do you consume meat? Do you think it is right/wrong and why? Are there any other good arguments against the consumption of meat you want to share?

What do I think? I think you're wrong, for reasons detailed above.

As omnivores, there is no biological reason for us to avoid meat. We are physically capable of killing animals so there is no physical reason for us to avoid meat.

The only place right/wrong could apply is in how the animals are treated before being slaughtered and how they are slaughtered. That question itself could take up an entire discussion.

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  [ Censored ] bless! Wink

On Judgment Day may Great Cthulhu eat you last. Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
26-01-2017, 07:36 AM
Wasn't it our omnivorous nature and eating meat that allowed our brains to develop and become larger thus allowing us to evolve to where we are now ? Besides I could never give up bacon, I don't want to live in a world without bacon.
26-01-2017, 07:42 AM
(26-01-2017 07:36 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Wasn't it our omnivorous nature and eating meat that allowed our brains to develop and become larger thus allowing us to evolve to where we are now?

Yep. Brain structure is mostly fat - about 60%. Source: https://www.reference.com/science/brain-...11baa7fce6

Infants need a fatty diet as it's this diet that goes to the rapidly-growing brain. Infants on low-fat diets tend not to do very well. Source: https://www.healthychildren.org/English/...abies.aspx

We in the west do tend to eat more meat than we need, but your assertion is correct: without meat, we would have evolved differently.
26-01-2017, 08:08 AM
I am a vegetarian and feel similar to jenny bee. I have never liked meat, or missed eating it. My dad was an avid hunter, so we were exposed to all varieties of meat. I hated all of them. lol

I think if you watched any documentaries on factory farming, you would go vegetarian (at least for a while).

My issue isn't so much the consumption of meat, my issue is OVER-consumption of meat and the disgustingly inhumane treatment of these animals. Pigs are smarter than dogs, they have little communities, they give affection, they communicate....and we treat them so, so horribly. They know exactly what is happening to them on a factory 'farm', and for them, it is literally hell on earth. Sad

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ShadowProject's post
26-01-2017, 08:12 AM
(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  First things first: Yet I think it is actually wrong to eat meat I do it myself and I wont judge anyone who does.

I thought about this matter a couple of times and I found a very simple but also very strong argument against the consumption of meat.

Even though the animal you eat would kill you and possibly eat you at any given moment it had a chance and the possibility to it's wrong to eat meat. By that I mean that the only reason a cow doesn't kill and eat you is because its teeth and its anatomy are not built for killing and consuming meat. Yet its healthy instinct (like in every other being including humans) says it should survive at any cost and use any energy source it can find and process.

Humans also have this instinct but it got overlapped by the rational mind and some sort of free will (no matter whether actual free will exists). This creates the possibility to chose.

And the choice is very simple.

Why would you in the situation of choice between a higher standing and a lower standing being decide to eat the higher standing? Because it tastes better? That is just hilarious and primitive.

By choosing to act as a being unlike an animal you actually should refuse to consume meat.

Yet - as I said - I consume meat myself and I think I am just to weak to become a vegetarian (veganism is a different matter). But I do not try to be perfectly good. By trying to be perfectly good you could not even kill a spider in your house or else...

Whatd do you think? What do you think about my points? Do you consume meat? Do you think it is right/wrong and why? Are there any other good arguments against the consumption of meat you want to share?

Have a nice day!

[ Censored ] bless! Wink

I think meat is probably the most compact and efficient source of protein. My doctor recently told me to increase the proportion of beef in my diet for this reason. He also wants me to eat more chicken, as it's an outstanding source of B-12.

Humans are part of the natural cycle. All things die. I don't mind doing the recycling.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post