Is it wrong to eat meat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-01-2017, 08:31 AM (This post was last modified: 26-01-2017 08:47 AM by jennybee.)
RE: Is it wrong to eat meat?
(26-01-2017 08:08 AM)ShadowProject Wrote:  I am a vegetarian and feel similar to jenny bee. I have never liked meat, or missed eating it. My dad was an avid hunter, so we were exposed to all varieties of meat. I hated all of them. lol

I think if you watched any documentaries on factory farming, you would go vegetarian (at least for a while).

My issue isn't so much the consumption of meat, my issue is OVER-consumption of meat and the disgustingly inhumane treatment of these animals. Pigs are smarter than dogs, they have little communities, they give affection, they communicate....and we treat them so, so horribly. They know exactly what is happening to them on a factory 'farm', and for them, it is literally hell on earth. Sad

Same here. I never liked the taste of meat and never really ate much meat even as a meat eater. So vegan *for me* is not hard to do at all. I watched many of those documentaries as well with tears in my eyes and it only strengthened my desire to avoid meat and animal products.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2017, 08:39 AM
(26-01-2017 08:12 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I think meat is probably the most compact and efficient source of protein.

Meat is the most efficient way of turning grasses - which humans can't digest - into a form of protein that humans can digest.

The problem now is that most cattle don't eat grasses anymore, they're fed corn and corn by-products. Now, that doesn't change the meat itself. The biological processes inside cattle that change vegetable matter into muscle mass don't care whether carbon rings, proteins, sugars, water etc. come from grass or corn. The cows themselves don't care.

The biggest (non-financial) problem with factory farming is effluent and runoff into streams, rivers and lakes. But that's another discussion entirely.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
26-01-2017, 08:40 AM
(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  Even though the animal you eat would kill you and possibly eat you at any given moment it had a chance and the possibility to it's wrong to eat meat. By that I mean that the only reason a cow doesn't kill and eat you is because its teeth and its anatomy are not built for killing and consuming meat.

Many herbivores are extremely territorial and would kill you just for being in their way and leave you're rotting body in their tracks for scavengers to clean up without a second thought about it. Just saying Tongue Animals like cows are only docile as a result of thousands of years of selective breeding. They would be poorly equipped to survive in any environment other than captivity. If they weren't raised for meat they would either go extinct, evolve into something else, or be kept in captivity just to keep them from going extinct.

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  Why would you in the situation of choice between a higher standing and a lower standing being decide to eat the higher standing? Because it tastes better? That is just hilarious and primitive.

It has nothing to do with being primitive or advanced. In some contexts it's about survivability and in other contexts it has to do with empathetic expression.

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  By choosing to act as a being unlike an animal you actually should refuse to consume meat.

I am an animal. That's not a judgement or an insult against myself, it's a statement of fact.

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  Whatd do you think? What do you think about my points?

I think your points are arbitrary and baseless.

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  Do you consume meat?

In light of everything I've said, I happen to live in a vegetarian household. My girlfriend is vegetarian and, at her request, our children are being raised vegetarian. Personally, I'll eat damn near anything. That includes vegetarian cuisine (which I enjoy and like to think I'm pretty good at cooking) and meat. I've eaten everything from tarantula legs to dog, and if it were practical (i.e. the perceived benefits outweighed the legal consequences) I'd eat human and not lose any sleep over it. I've also gone for long stretches without meat without feeling like I'm missing out on anything. The above doesn't mean I'm any more right or wrong, it goes back to empathetic expression. I don't feel bad for shit the way most other people do, and the reason for that has nothing to do with arbitrarily defined ethical standards. My mirror neurons don't work the same way as yours. I empathize with my girlfriend and therefore respect her wishes when she's within the vicinity. I empathize with animals I've happened to form a personal relationship with, such as my cats. I do not empathize with the little brown bunny that visits my backyard, so if my girlfriend weren't here and it saw me coming to the porch with my slingshot and a pot on the stove, it would be wise to hop its ass away.

(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  Do you think it is right/wrong and why? Are there any other good arguments against the consumption of meat you want to share?

I do not believe it is morally wrong. Then again, I think the concept of right and wrong is flawed to begin with and prefer to judge based off the law of cause and effect. For example: If you empathize with cute fluffy bunnies then, through your mirror neurons, seeing them in pain would cause you pain and it would therefore be rational to not eat them. Not because it's wrong, but because the pain it causes you results in the benefit not being worth the cost.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
26-01-2017, 08:40 AM
(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  First things first: Yet I think it is actually wrong to eat meat I do it myself and I wont judge anyone who does.

I thought about this matter a couple of times and I found a very simple but also very strong argument against the consumption of meat.

Even though the animal you eat would kill you and possibly eat you at any given moment it had a chance and the possibility to it's wrong to eat meat. By that I mean that the only reason a cow doesn't kill and eat you is because its teeth and its anatomy are not built for killing and consuming meat. Yet its healthy instinct (like in every other being including humans) says it should survive at any cost and use any energy source it can find and process.

Humans also have this instinct but it got overlapped by the rational mind and some sort of free will (no matter whether actual free will exists). This creates the possibility to chose.

And the choice is very simple.

Why would you in the situation of choice between a higher standing and a lower standing being decide to eat the higher standing? Because it tastes better? That is just hilarious and primitive.

By choosing to act as a being unlike an animal you actually should refuse to consume meat.

Yet - as I said - I consume meat myself and I think I am just to weak to become a vegetarian (veganism is a different matter). But I do not try to be perfectly good. By trying to be perfectly good you could not even kill a spider in your house or else...

Whatd do you think? What do you think about my points? Do you consume meat? Do you think it is right/wrong and why? Are there any other good arguments against the consumption of meat you want to share?

Have a nice day!

[ Censored ] bless! Wink

I'd also add it's not a weakness that you eat or like the taste of meat and yet want to be vegetarian, especially if you were raised in a culture that eats a lot of meat. If you were raised in a vegetarian culture, for instance, I would think your cravings for various foods would be different.

If you want to become a vegetarian, I would recommend doing it slowly. Maybe one meal a week, then add another and another. My bf consumes meat but also has a vegetarian meal a few times a week and where he can make easy changes, he opts for vegetarian items instead of meat ingredient items.

Often people think things need to be an all or nothing. Why not incorporate both into your diet: Do a few veggie meals here and there and make easy changes from meat items to vegetarian items if you can. For example, my bf uses earth balance (vegan margarine) and gave up his regular butter.
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
26-01-2017, 10:15 AM
As my name suggests, I am a reducetarian: I do eat meat and eggs, but I'm trying to reduce my environmental impact and limiting meat consumption is an easy way of doing so. It's also healthier.

When I cook at home, I focus on vegetables and whole grains, and I purchase local, organic, certified humanely raised meat products and eggs to complement them. I like Michael Pollan's approach: eat food, mostly plants, not too much. (See his books, including The Omnivore's Dilemma.)

I do this for ethical reasons (factory farming is bad for everyone and everything involved in it, except the shareholders) but also because these products are so expensive that cost alone precludes me from eating too much. However, the bonus is that they generally taste much better Drooling

Even so, I realize that most people don't have the luxury of making such choices, and there was a time when I couldn't either, so who am I to preach this lifestyle choice to others??

What's more, if I'm invited to someone's house for dinner, and they've taken the trouble to create a beautiful meal with a lovely roast, I would never be so rude as to turn up my nose at their efforts.

IMO gradually reducing your meat consumption is a much more realistic, sustainable and achievable goal than drastically deciding to become a vegetarian/vegan overnight.

I'd leave the judgmental dogmatic/black-or-white/all-or-nothing thinking for the theists Tongue

Your faith is not evidence, your opinion is not fact, and your bias is not wisdom
[+] 2 users Like Reducetarian's post
26-01-2017, 10:22 AM
Is this thread an innuendo thread ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-01-2017, 10:41 AM
At work.

(26-01-2017 10:22 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Is this thread an innuendo thread ?

Oh! So, possibly, that kind of meat...

Well..... y'now.... Brad Pitt or maybe........ Johny Depp.....

Yeah, that'd be worth the experiment. Consider
26-01-2017, 10:55 AM
My three favourite things are tea (I'm a Brit, cannot survive without tea, if tea was outlawed I would definitely off myself) bacon, I could never give up smoked bacon ever ever ever
Cheese all types. Vegetarian I can go with but even though there are dear dear people who mean a lot to me on here I just don't understand veganism but i respect anyone's choice so long as they're not trying to convert my ass.
26-01-2017, 10:58 AM
I forgot eggs I love eggs so that makes four Big Grin
26-01-2017, 10:59 AM
(26-01-2017 10:15 AM)Reducetarian Wrote:  As my name suggests, I am a reducetarian: I do eat meat and eggs, but I'm trying to reduce my environmental impact and limiting meat consumption is an easy way of doing so. It's also healthier.

When I cook at home, I focus on vegetables and whole grains, and I purchase local, organic, certified humanely raised meat products and eggs to complement them. I like Michael Pollan's approach: eat food, mostly plants, not too much. (See his books, including The Omnivore's Dilemma.)

I do this for ethical reasons (factory farming is bad for everyone and everything involved in it, except the shareholders) but also because these products are so expensive that cost alone precludes me from eating too much. However, the bonus is that they generally taste much better Drooling

Even so, I realize that most people don't have the luxury of making such choices, and there was a time when I couldn't either, so who am I to preach this lifestyle choice to others??

What's more, if I'm invited to someone's house for dinner, and they've taken the trouble to create a beautiful meal with a lovely roast, I would never be so rude as to turn up my nose at their efforts.

IMO gradually reducing your meat consumption is a much more realistic, sustainable and achievable goal than drastically deciding to become a vegetarian/vegan overnight.

I'd leave the judgmental dogmatic/black-or-white/all-or-nothing thinking for the theists Tongue

I did not become vegan overnight. In fact, most vegans and vegetarians I know did not become vegan/vegetarian overnight. I was raised a meat eater, then became pescatarian, then vegetarian, then vegan. But as I say, for me, it was easy because I never ate a ton of meat to begin with. For some people, they really enjoy the taste of meat and so the idea of a vegan/veg diet is very difficult. But if you want to incorporate more vegetarian meals into your diet, it's very easy to do, while still eating meat on occasion. You can also still advocate for animals while being a meat eater. It's okay to live in the gray like Reducetarian mentioned.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post