Is it wrong to eat meat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2017, 06:40 AM
RE: Is it wrong to eat meat?
One of the funniest lines I ever heard was a UK comic describing her vegan friends. (If I can find the link I'll post it, but for the life of me I can't even remember her name.)

"I had invited all my vegan friends to the show tonight to watch me perform, but none of them are here. They didn't have the energy to make it up the stairs."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
27-01-2017, 06:41 AM
Is it wrong to eat meat?
(27-01-2017 06:37 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What kind of meat we talking?

The kind that you like. Oh yeah.
27-01-2017, 06:52 AM
(27-01-2017 06:40 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  One of the funniest lines I ever heard was a UK comic describing her vegan friends. (If I can find the link I'll post it, but for the life of me I can't even remember her name.)

"I had invited all my vegan friends to the show tonight to watch me perform, but none of them are here. They didn't have the energy to make it up the stairs."

I'm vegan and have lots of energy. I'm also more active than many of my friends. I'm a yoga instructor, so besides doing my own daily 90 minute practice, I also teach classes throughout the day. I am learning Krav Maga twice a week in addition to that. I also run a few times a week. And I hike and backpack when I can.

There are also vegan athletes like Brendan Brazier who believes his vegan diet is actually helping him excel at his sport.

I understand it was a joke, but not accurate in the least.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-01-2017, 06:59 AM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2017 07:07 AM by jennybee.)
(27-01-2017 03:47 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(26-01-2017 09:24 PM)AnaBunny Wrote:  I guess they just feel like vegetarianism is stupid and pointless.

There are many excellent reasons to devote yourself to the difficult task of maintaining a healthy vegetarian or vegan diet, should you choose to do so. Just be aware, going in, that it's going to take research and dedication. But in the end, if that's what you want, you should do it.

It's just the moral (and often, scientifically ignorant) "feels" arguments that try to shame people who eat a normal human diet that make me really, really pissed off, as you saw, above.

It's actually not a difficult task to eat a vegan or vegetarian diet if meat is not appealing to you in the least. And I love animals, so have no desire to eat them. As an avid practitioner of yoga, I have also adopted many yogic principles into my life, one of them is not eating meat.

So being vegan, for me, not difficult at all. For me it's actually quite easy. I understand that not eating meat is not for everyone, but for people who decide not to eat meat, their reasons for doing so are much stronger than any desire to eat meat, so for us it's not a difficult undertaking at all.

I do agree though, as with *any* diet change, it is important to consult a nutritionist first.

I also don't like vegans who are militant about shaming others. I don't think it works if their idea is to convert people. It actually pushes people away. I think just living your life, being happy, people pick up on that and ask what you are doing. If people ask me or have an interest in the vegetarian or vegan lifestyle, I'm more than happy to share that with them.
27-01-2017, 07:08 AM
(27-01-2017 06:59 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I do agree though, as with *any* diet change, it is important to consult a nutritionist first.

Be careful about "nutritionists". The term is meaningless.

Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist; it's not a regulated profession.

Dietitians, however, are part of a regulated profession with a governing body, minimum standards and a formal complaint process.

Better, IMO, to go with a dietitian's counsel than a nutritionist.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
27-01-2017, 07:19 AM
I mean that in taking up a vegetarian (and especially vegan) diet, you have to ensure you are replacing with plant sources all of the things you were getting from animal nutrients, fat, and protein. This takes research and/or training, and practice. It's not as simple as switching to eating salads all the time, so to speak.

Once one habituates themselves to the new types of food that replace the lost sources from an omnivorous diet, I can see where it would become much easier.

As for our reasons for doing things, well that's up to the individual right up to the moment they decide to tell others what they should do with their own bodies.

I wholeheartedly support freedom of/from diets and freedom of/from religion. Smile

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
27-01-2017, 07:24 AM
(27-01-2017 06:59 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I also don't like vegans who are militant about shaming others. I don't think it works if their idea is to convert people. It actually pushes people away. I think just living your life, being happy, people pick up on that and ask what you are doing. If people ask me or have an interest in the vegetarian or vegan lifestyle, I'm more than happy to share that with them.

I don't like vegans who think that their eating habits allow them to shame others, regardless of theirs militancy; not eating meat does not make one better person.

Having said that I have no problem with no meat meals, they're quite tasty and easy to make. As long as someone will no try to claim moral superiority over me thanks to dietary preference I have nothing against vegetarians and vegans. I couldn't care less about who eat what - not my money, not my life, not my health so no reason to care.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
27-01-2017, 07:26 AM
Best way I would put it is, "You're an adult, eat whatever the hell you like."

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
27-01-2017, 07:52 AM
(27-01-2017 07:08 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(27-01-2017 06:59 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I do agree though, as with *any* diet change, it is important to consult a nutritionist first.

Be careful about "nutritionists". The term is meaningless.

Anyone can call themselves a nutritionist; it's not a regulated profession.

Dietitians, however, are part of a regulated profession with a governing body, minimum standards and a formal complaint process.

Better, IMO, to go with a dietitian's counsel than a nutritionist.

I used the term nutritionist because that's what my nutritionist refers to himself as. And yes, he has several degrees. I agree though, whatever someone calls themselves in any profession-always good idea to check credentials.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
27-01-2017, 08:22 AM
Many people who go through the switch do so with a flawed understanding of nutrition. If, for example, you give up meat because you believe dietary fat is evil and replace it with empty carbohydrates, you're probably going to screw yourself over not because of the vegan diet in and of itself, but because of your own personal take on the vegan diet. And that, or something along those lines, is exactly what a lot of people do and what helps create the image of veg*nism as being inherently unhealthy.

If you remove meat from your diet and replace it with options high in fats and/or proteins like avocado, coconut, nuts, legumes, olives etc., you'll probably be fine. If you remove meat from your diet and replace it with crap just to fill the void, the switch will cost you.

I don't personally believe a vegan diet is inherently healthier or unhealthier than a conventional diet. It just requires more knowledge to make it work due to the fact that our culture isn't built around it, so you can't just rely on habit. You've actually gotta learn, and it has to be real data not something you picked up on some random quackerie website.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 4 users Like yakherder's post