Is it wrong to eat meat?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2017, 02:29 PM
RE: Is it wrong to eat meat?
[Image: b878e0e41a1651c5804b78c0c3787fd4.jpg]

Eat what you want but veganism is a silly and untenable position. Vegetarians have a much better stance as they do not go to extremes. Plus most (not all) vegan food is abomination.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
27-01-2017, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2017 02:53 PM by jennybee.)
(27-01-2017 02:29 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
[Image: b878e0e41a1651c5804b78c0c3787fd4.jpg]

Eat what you want but veganism is a silly and untenable position. Vegetarians have a much better stance as they do not go to extremes. Plus most (not all) vegan food is abomination.

We use a ton of animal products in our society. Out of many that are listed in your diagram though, about 90% of them, I have found vegan alternatives. I'm sure there are some non-vegan items that just by living in society I use on a daily basis. I just try to do the best I can to limit and hopefully avoid any possible consumption of animal items. I do refer to myself as a vegan because that is what best describes me: I have a vegan hairbrush, I only buy and use cruelty-free products, I don't wear leather, I don't eat meat, dairy, eggs, etc. the list goes on. I just do the best I can. I also don't like the taste of meat or dairy, so "vegan" seems the correct term to call myself. If you don't agree, well, you're entitled to your opinion. It's not something I try to have a "defensible" stance on, it's just the word I use that I feel best describes me and what I do.
[+] 7 users Like jennybee's post
27-01-2017, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 28-01-2017 05:34 AM by Aractus.)
(26-01-2017 03:37 AM)Praying Birds Wrote:  First things first: Yet I think it is actually wrong to eat meat I do it myself and I wont judge anyone who does.

Yet - as I said - I consume meat myself and I think I am just to weak to become a vegetarian (veganism is a different matter). But I do not try to be perfectly good. By trying to be perfectly good you could not even kill a spider in your house or else...

Whatd do you think? What do you think about my points? Do you consume meat? Do you think it is right/wrong and why? Are there any other good arguments against the consumption of meat you want to share?

I am qualified to practise as a nutritionist, which is not something I'm particularly interested in doing at this time though. Anyway, humans do need meat - that's not an opinion, it's evidence-based fact. Consider it this way, most of the intelligent mammals eat meat - humans, dolphins, other great apes, etc. Plants provide far less nutrition, this video explains quite well why Koalas are so stupid:

They eat just one type of food that is very difficult to digest, and provides shockingly little nutrition. Further information on their blatant stupidity is here. Horses, Cattle, and Sheep are not particularly intelligent creatures. Rats, mice, cats, and dogs are all considered quite intelligent, and crows are considered highly intelligent. Elephants are one of the few relatively intelligent species that are herbivores.

Anyway back to evidence, I'd say it's really in the last 15 years or so that clear evidence has come forward showing that a vegetarian diet is deficient for humans long-term. And that's to do with the research pertaining to the previously unknown roles that micro-nutrients have in the body, and also the bioavailability (i.e. absorbability) of micro-nutrients in plants being much lower than the same nutrients in animal products.

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Aractus's post
27-01-2017, 11:32 PM
(26-01-2017 07:26 AM)jennybee Wrote:  While I am vegan, I don't think it's wrong to eat meat. I do think its wrong to treat animals inhumanely. I also think that some meat is not the healthiest that comes from factory farms. There does need to be more humane practices in factory farms both for the animals and for the people who consume their meat.

I have said this before on here and I know it shocks some people, but I'm an advocate of hunting (and being humane about it) for the purpose of food and not sport. If you are going to eat meat, the meat from hunting is healthier and the animal lived its life outdoors in its natural habitat.

I could not agree more. I have seen factory farms in action, and I was shocked to see how the animals are raised. I still eat meat, but make every effort to ensure they were raised as humanely as possible. I found a local source for pasture raised chicken and pork, and a source for grass fed beef. I made sure the farms were ones that would treat the animals with antibiotics if needed. Widespread use of antibiotics is problematic for everyone, but if the damn thing has pneumonia or mastitis, it deserves proven treatment. I have a colleague who raises sheep for food. They live their lives on pasture and sunshine, then in the end, a mobile processor comes out to slaughter them. They are rendered unconscious instantly and painlessly before being killed. I have absolutely no moral problem with that. I enjoy vegetarian meals regularly, and occasionally a vegan one. I could fairly easily give up beef and definitely pork. Chicken - maybe reluctantly. Seafood and dairy-no way!
[+] 4 users Like beeglez's post
28-01-2017, 01:07 AM
What I am hoping will be a self-explanatory note on the wisdom, or lack thereof, of trying to convince somebody who does not want to eat your bacon that they are wrong.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
28-01-2017, 07:15 AM
(27-01-2017 10:12 AM)jennybee Wrote:  But if there are other nonmeat alternatives available, why not use them? I see no problems with someone asking for something to be changed if there is another option available that does not harm animals. I don't see that as imposing a lifestyle choice, I see that as being an advocate for a cause and trying to help animals.

To me, imposing my lifestyle or beliefs on someone in a negative way would be going out to dinner with that person and looking at them with disdain over them ordering a steak and then giving them a lecture about how veganism is better. While I don't believe in telling someone what or how to eat, I do believe in advocating for animals if there are other alternatives out there. Why take from animals when we don't have to?

Thing is, since we have meat eaters, it is only respectful to the animal to use all parts instead of taking meat and calling the rest trash. I think the parts should be used, all of them.

To me, it's all about life, not death. We should be ashamed of ourselves for not providing a good life and peaceful death for the animals we eat. I see the same problem you do, but I think it is a whole lot easier to change the way society treats the live animals than to get everyone to stop eating what humans have eaten forever and evolved on.

You don't want to be part of any of that and that is just fine. It's your choice.

I still wish though that all vegans would put energy towards helping to improve the lives of animals.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
28-01-2017, 08:00 AM
Once lab grown meat becomes the standard, only a select few upper middle class self proclaimed naturalists will still eat meat that was once sentient, swearing that they can tell the difference while rambling on about Monsanto.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
28-01-2017, 08:20 AM
(28-01-2017 08:00 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Once lab grown meat becomes the standard, only a select few upper middle class self proclaimed naturalists will still eat meat that was once sentient, swearing that they can tell the difference while rambling on about Monsanto.

That'll be me, although I doubt I will still be alive. So far I don't like any artificial food - most supermarket produce and meat is flavorless already, compared to veggies that were sun ripened and meat from animals who roam and forage. I'm going to stick with eating natural. You just cannot beat the flavors. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, most younger people have no idea what things can taste like. No wonder people don't like veggies - most of the natural sugars that round out the flavors are lost during refrigeration.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-01-2017, 08:28 AM
Some love for the vegans!

[Image: i-love-vegans.jpg]

[Image: 4a9b8d74150ce8cb6a2706488bef55d1.jpg]

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
28-01-2017, 08:39 AM
(28-01-2017 08:20 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(28-01-2017 08:00 AM)yakherder Wrote:  Once lab grown meat becomes the standard, only a select few upper middle class self proclaimed naturalists will still eat meat that was once sentient, swearing that they can tell the difference while rambling on about Monsanto.

That'll be me, although I doubt I will still be alive. So far I don't like any artificial food - most supermarket produce and meat is flavorless already, compared to veggies that were sun ripened and meat from animals who roam and forage. I'm going to stick with eating natural. You just cannot beat the flavors. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, most younger people have no idea what things can taste like. No wonder people don't like veggies - most of the natural sugars that round out the flavors are lost during refrigeration.

I guess I'm stuck somewhere in the middle. Despite my half smartass comment above, I can definitely appreciate some good venison over some factory fresh ground mystery meat. But enough garlic makes everything better.

'Murican Canadian