Is it wrong to hate religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2014, 06:47 PM
Is it wrong to hate religion?
It seems to be a general opinion among atheists, "I don't care if you have a religion, just keep it to yourself".

So, is it wrong to just hate religion in general, even when it's kept completely private? If you were having a conversation with someone and they admitted to doing so, would that affect your opinion of them?

I ask because, I think I do just hate the whole concept, and I've found myself becoming more and more thin skinned to it the longer I hang out on atheists sites.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
02-07-2014, 06:49 PM
RE: Is it wrong to hate religion?
Nope. Fuck religion and fuck religious people.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
02-07-2014, 06:51 PM
it isn't wrong to hate lies and bullshit. Just means you actually do value truth.

“You see… sometimes life gives you lemons. And when that happens… you need to find some spell that makes lemons explode, because lemons are terrible. I only ate them once and I can say with certainty they are the worst fruit. If life gave me lemons, I would view it as nothing short of a declaration of war."
[+] 3 users Like DemonicLemon's post
02-07-2014, 06:56 PM
Certainly not wrong to hate religion. For me it comes down to is that person's faith affecting their relationship with others - if not and it's private to them then I don't have a problem.

Thing is - that's really rare.

In some ways I think it's a slightly odd question - it's like asking if I hate God - I don't believe in it.

What I do hate with a passion is religion as an institution.
[+] 3 users Like CiderThinker's post
02-07-2014, 06:57 PM
I hate religion. Don't really care if that opinion is wrong. Just because I hate something doesn't mean I can force it from other people however.

Save that behavior for the religious.
[+] 4 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
02-07-2014, 06:57 PM
I found that after I started actually coming out as an atheist my patience for religion has marginally declined. I never realized how much I actually just shrugged off and avoided even thinking about religious comments just so I didn't have to have a conversation about religion.

My girlfriend just had a job interview today and this morning she actually said "Say a prayer for me!" (Yes she knows I'm an atheist.... not the sharpest knife in the drawer, that one).

Two years ago I would have just said good luck and moved on, but today I almost bought myself a one-way ticket to the doghouse. I can't really explain it but comments like these just make me want to shake the person and yell some choice obscenities until I feel better.

I feel like theists spend so much time praying for a better life after death, they don't fully appreciate or enjoy the one they have now.
02-07-2014, 07:10 PM
I think it's okay to hate religion. Think about it if two people are in a disagreement on how society should be then they are preventing each other from achieving their desired society thus limiting the others happiness. Since what we all desire is happiness. Then it would make sense to despise what stands in the way of your happiness.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
02-07-2014, 10:21 PM
I completely hate religion. The institution. The lies. The brainwashing. The death-cult mentality. The smug superiority. The damage it does in our politics.

Yeah, I hate religion.

I don't usually hate the victims, er, uh, believers. At least not until they get pushy about it and won't take "Shut up" for an answer.

Can't say if it's "wrong to hate religion" or not; I can't seem to find that moral compass that god was supposed to cause me to have - I guess god fucked up on that one.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 2 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
02-07-2014, 10:39 PM
Nope it's not wrong to hate religion. Religion has beed directly responsible for enormous amounts of suffering and death throughout centuries.

It's not right to hate a person for having some kind of faith; they were probably manipulated into it during childhood or possibly in a vulnerable moment. Every person is different and has a different story.

It's not exactly wrong to hate god; it's just stupid. Hating something that doesn't exist is a waste of time and energy.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
02-07-2014, 11:05 PM
I hate religion, though I don't always hate religion's practicers. I care about what's true, and so when I see people believing stuff that is either false or unverifiable, it makes my mood be not good. Basically,

"Hate the sin, love the sinner." Evil_monster

More Min Gee Ziss
[Image: giphy.gif]