Is it wrong to hate religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2014, 11:06 PM
RE: Is it wrong to hate religion?
Hating or being critical of someones religion is different from hating the person. It needs to be emphasized that religion does not get a free pass. We should treat religion the same way we treat politics and such, even to go as far as ridicule if necessary. If religion is an extension of the persons ego, they need to learn to separate their self preservation from their, in this case, loony ideals. Attacking somebody's beliefs is different from attacking the person.

If somebody's religion constantly interferes with our education system, trying to make students learn about creationism bullshit rather than the truth which is evolution, we need to truly openly skeptically interrogate their unsubstantiated beliefs, ridiculing if necessary the same way we would to faulty political views. Many if not all religions, especially the more populous Christianity and Islam are very backwards in their thinking towards women and owning slaves, harboring antiquated iron aged mentalities. They condemn gays and go as far as to pass laws denying them the right to get married. The only reason to hate gays is religion, and the religious lobby constantly interferes with our system slowing human productivity and equality.

If you put a claim on the table, like flat earth theory, we're going to ruthlessly interrogate it and tear it apart. Those who protect the truth won't give lies special treatment.

Religion is but superstition and myth, that hardens hearts and enslaves minds.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Freethought's post
02-07-2014, 11:48 PM
Hating sucks. Not fun. Laughter, ridicule, bemusement, and parody. Yeah... I can do that.
[+] 1 user Likes Michael_Tadlock's post
03-07-2014, 12:18 AM
(02-07-2014 06:47 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  It seems to be a general opinion among atheists, "I don't care if you have a religion, just keep it to yourself".

So, is it wrong to just hate religion in general, even when it's kept completely private? If you were having a conversation with someone and they admitted to doing so, would that affect your opinion of them?

I ask because, I think I do just hate the whole concept, and I've found myself becoming more and more thin skinned to it the longer I hang out on atheists sites.

Hate is a strong word that requires a nurturing of strong feelings. I am not inclined to exercise and nurture those feelings. I never have. I have always felt that hate would diminish who I am and take power away from me--takes up too much internal space, and time.

Religion bothers me only in that there are a lot of people living for an eternity that will not happen. That philosophy, I believe, is putting a burden on the health of the natural planet we live on.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
03-07-2014, 12:36 AM
If you care about the well being of the human race then your obligated to hate something that's counter to it.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
03-07-2014, 01:07 AM
They abuse, Harass, Threaten, Violate, Rape, Murder, Steal from, sacrifice, torment, mock, and control people and attempt acts of genocide, and I am not talking about thousands of years ago either. They still do these things today.

Why the fucking hell should we be nice to these people or their precious beliefs?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
03-07-2014, 01:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 01:20 AM by Raptor Jesus.)
(02-07-2014 06:47 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  It seems to be a general opinion among atheists, "I don't care if you have a religion, just keep it to yourself".

So, is it wrong to just hate religion in general, even when it's kept completely private? If you were having a conversation with someone and they admitted to doing so, would that affect your opinion of them?

I ask because, I think I do just hate the whole concept, and I've found myself becoming more and more thin skinned to it the longer I hang out on atheists sites.

I hate religion, because it's the stupidest thing ever. I cannot think of a stupider thing than it. And I hate it for all that it obstructs, and how many of those things that it obstructs that I love, and or just kind of like.

It provides nothing of worth, only decay, hate, and heartache. And the only positive thing it offers can, and are, offered in non religious, non-bullshit ways. So even the good things it "offers", are offered by not it.

No......fuck religion and it's getting-in-the-way-of bullshit!

03-07-2014, 01:20 AM
(03-07-2014 12:36 AM)sporehux Wrote:  If you care about the well being of the human race then your obligated to hate something that's counter to it.

I prefer the use of passion over hate to get something done. I can't see hate as anything more than a debilitation. I suppose one can be passionate over what they hate. No one has to use hate; it clouds the senses and reason.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
03-07-2014, 01:26 AM
(03-07-2014 01:07 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  They abuse, Harass, Threaten, Violate, Rape, Murder, Steal from, sacrifice, torment, mock, and control people and attempt acts of genocide, and I am not talking about thousands of years ago either. They still do these things today.

Why the fucking hell should we be nice to these people or their precious beliefs?

I don't know. Did anyone say anything about being nice? What action would like to take, and what emotion will you project? How far will you get in your endeavor?

03-07-2014, 01:26 AM
(03-07-2014 01:20 AM)Dee Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 12:36 AM)sporehux Wrote:  If you care about the well being of the human race then your obligated to hate something that's counter to it.

I prefer the use of passion over hate to get something done. I can't see hate as anything more than a debilitation. I suppose one can be passionate over what they hate. No one has to use hate; it clouds the senses and reason.

If the shoe fits Smile along with all the synonyms.
hate : [d] intense dislike.
synonyms: loathing, hatred, detestation, dislike, distaste, abhorrence, abomination, execration, resentment, aversion, hostility

Although I had to look up "execration"

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
03-07-2014, 01:30 AM
(03-07-2014 01:26 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 01:20 AM)Dee Wrote:  I prefer the use of passion over hate to get something done. I can't see hate as anything more than a debilitation. I suppose one can be passionate over what they hate. No one has to use hate; it clouds the senses and reason.

If the shoe fits Smile along with all the synonyms.
hate : [d] intense dislike.
synonyms: loathing, hatred, detestation, dislike, distaste, abhorrence, abomination, execration, resentment, aversion, hostility

Although I had to look up "execration"

Me too.

EXECRATION
1 the act of cursing or denouncing; also : the curse so uttered

2 an object of curses : something detested