Is it wrong to hate religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2014, 01:32 AM
RE: Is it wrong to hate religion?
sporehux, your snickering avatar always disarms me, makes me laugh--always.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dee's post
03-07-2014, 02:33 AM
(03-07-2014 01:32 AM)Dee Wrote:  sporehux, your snickering avatar always disarms me, makes me laugh--always.

If you only met me in person you would appreciate the reference Big Grin

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
03-07-2014, 04:11 AM
(03-07-2014 01:26 AM)Dee Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 01:07 AM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  They abuse, Harass, Threaten, Violate, Rape, Murder, Steal from, sacrifice, torment, mock, and control people and attempt acts of genocide, and I am not talking about thousands of years ago either. They still do these things today.

Why the fucking hell should we be nice to these people or their precious beliefs?

I don't know. Did anyone say anything about being nice? What action would like to take, and what emotion will you project? How far will you get in your endeavor?

I treat all religious people with distrust and open verbal hostility.

If it were up to me, I would make laws that made it a hate crime to display any signs of someones religion that asks people to repent or that they are sinners etc.

Ban all public promotion of any and all religions and make it a crime to do so. While includes street preachers yelling at people that they are going to burn and be tortured if they do not believe in their deity, signs that state the end is neigh or anything of that sort. This will also include any political or public mentioning of creationism and an outright ban of those ideologies as well.

Then, all that would be needed is to find a way to wipe Islam off the face of the planet and about 50-60% of the worlds current problems will be solved overnight.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 1 user Likes Shadow Fox's post
03-07-2014, 04:37 AM
While I accept that ostensibly throwing one's lot in with Ralph Ellis subjects one to scorn, ridicule, mockery, hate, abuse, derision and the like, there is a certain benefit I have achieved and that is this: I now don't hate religion or religious people as such. I do intensely dislike dishonesty in anyone however.

If you watch the news you may see that Turkish Prime Minister Erdogan is likely to become President of the country and one of the things he is intending to do is to rebuild the Ottoman palace in Istambul as a Presidential palace. One of his defecting party members has asked him in an open letter whether he thinks he is the Caliph, ie., the world leader of Islam, like Bagdadi says he is in the new Islamic State.

Erdogan has been taped admitting he has skimmed off a billion euros from government contracts and was being investigated but he has and continues to purge the police, army and judiciary and his friends control the press. It looks very bad for Turkey which is now set to have 80 years of securarism reversed, taking it into a new dark age of Muslimification and corruption. So far two of the police officers who were purged by Erdogan have committed suicide, one only 26, the other in his 30s both leaving families. The were told to "expect worse".

Erdogan is a meglomanic like all the rest, Gadaffi, Ceaucescu, Hussein. It is very discouraging because what is behind all this is the fact that Turkey is mainly dirt poor Muslims who have had an improved lifestyle under Erdogan who has been, once again, supported by the US who mistakenly think they can trust outfits like Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood when these are just the friendly front ends of Islamist movements who want to turn whole countries Muslim.

One can jump up and down, scream and shout, hate people, but what good does it do?? It is agonizing to watch a country revert to barbarism before your very eyes with no one able to do anything about it and supported by a population who are largely ignorant people out of another age.

What does one do? In the long term, the only way I see of dealing with this issue in world politics is to be utterly ruthless in pursuing the truth about these religions no matter how painful it is. People like Christoph Luxemburg have tried to get to the truth behind Islam and the writing of the Koran and are afraid for their lives. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christoph_Luxenberg

I commend anyone who tries to look at religions for what they are and puts forward any theory which demystifies them. I think seeing them for what they are, polemics, aimed at creating an ideology is helpful to us all. I can now see that Christianity is just that and am sure it was written by people who also hated the existing religious views of the day and felt they needed to do something about it. I think they recognized how a religion has to appeal to people's superstitions and existing beliefs hence they wrote up a story based on myths and fictionalized accounts of some real events.

People, it seems, need their belief structures so if you "hate" religion, then you are hating that trait in people which needs reassurance about life after death and a big "force" to protect them in life. I think these people are called...cowards... See them for what they are, children, intellectually immature and needing guidance. But, by wrapping yourself in hate and ignoring history you let this kind of mentality spread and people like Erdogan to succeed and then we all have to live under this pile of garbage because we are all arguing with each other, name calling and not looking for the real history behind these religions.

The Muslims won't let anyone draw a picture of Mohammed. Are secularists the same? We can't draw a picture of a real person who might have been the basis of the Jesus story?
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
03-07-2014, 05:30 AM
(02-07-2014 10:39 PM)kim Wrote:  Hating something that doesn't exist is a waste of time and energy.

That's why I never get mad about my love life Laugh out load . I hate religion, I don't mind religious people per say. I have religious friends, as long as they keep it to themselves it's fine. Throw it in my face though I become like Godzilla on drugs. I'll start raging and fighting.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
03-07-2014, 02:23 PM
(02-07-2014 06:47 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  It seems to be a general opinion among atheists, "I don't care if you have a religion, just keep it to yourself".

So, is it wrong to just hate religion in general, even when it's kept completely private? If you were having a conversation with someone and they admitted to doing so, would that affect your opinion of them?

I ask because, I think I do just hate the whole concept, and I've found myself becoming more and more thin skinned to it the longer I hang out on atheists sites.
The problem is always hypocrisy. Is being an atheist and having a common belief with others any different than someone else's religion? Of course it also depends on what is the core conviction of the so called religion, and whether it conflicts with yours. But don't fool yourself into thinking you have no such convictions that conflicts with others. Hate is actually an undesirable emotion. I would submit that if this is the result of atheism, don't blame any other persons religion. In scripture it is written that the last religion will be one that makes belief in God illegal.
03-07-2014, 02:33 PM
(03-07-2014 02:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(02-07-2014 06:47 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  It seems to be a general opinion among atheists, "I don't care if you have a religion, just keep it to yourself".

So, is it wrong to just hate religion in general, even when it's kept completely private? If you were having a conversation with someone and they admitted to doing so, would that affect your opinion of them?

I ask because, I think I do just hate the whole concept, and I've found myself becoming more and more thin skinned to it the longer I hang out on atheists sites.
The problem is always hypocrisy. Is being an atheist and having a common belief with others any different than someone else's religion?

Not believing in your fairy tales isn't a religion, moron.

Quote: Of course it also depends on what is the core conviction of the so called religion, and whether it conflicts with yours.

Not believing in your fairy tales isn't a religion, moron.

Quote: But don't fool yourself into thinking you have no such convictions that conflicts with others. Hate is actually an undesirable emotion. I would submit that if this is the result of atheism, don't blame any other persons religion.

When you religious assholes impose your bullshit versions of morality on the rest of the population through the legislature and the fucking courts, yes, we fucking hate you and you fucking deserve it. And yes, it's your fucking fault.

Quote: In scripture it is written that the last religion will be one that makes belief in God illegal.

Fuck your fairy tale book, and fuck you.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
03-07-2014, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 03:18 PM by childeye.)
(03-07-2014 02:33 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  Not believing in your fairy tales isn't a religion, moron.
You're bypassing the point.

Quote: Of course it also depends on what is the core conviction of the so called religion, and whether it conflicts with yours.

Quote:Not believing in your fairy tales isn't a religion, moron.
I never said it was. Quite making things up to get mad at.
Quote: But don't fool yourself into thinking you have no such convictions that conflicts with others. Hate is actually an undesirable emotion. I would submit that if this is the result of atheism, don't blame any other persons religion.

Quote:When you religious assholes impose your bullshit versions of morality on the rest of the population through the legislature and the fucking courts, yes, we fucking hate you and you fucking deserve it. And yes, it's your fucking fault.
It is not possible to impose morality through legislation. That is an Old Testament ideology. If you knew what the term God meant, you would know that. But I understand why you would say what you say. By the way, the government is secular. We are not a theocracy.

Quote: In scripture it is written that the last religion will be one that makes belief in God illegal.

Quote:Fuck your fairy tale book, and fuck you.
Calm down. I'm not your enemy.
03-07-2014, 03:39 PM
(03-07-2014 02:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  The problem is always hypocrisy. Is being an atheist and having a common belief with others any different than someone else's religion? Of course it also depends on what is the core conviction of the so called religion, and whether it conflicts with yours. But don't fool yourself into thinking you have no such convictions that conflicts with others. Hate is actually an undesirable emotion. I would submit that if this is the result of atheism, don't blame any other persons religion. In scripture it is written that the last religion will be one that makes belief in God illegal.

Ah well, I don't have any problem with anyone having a faith. The thing is, faith is not religion... in fact, faith does not require religion at all. However, religion most certainly requires faith.

Faith is faith; whatever one needs it to be with no rules or evidence of existence, none of that. It can be quite freeing, within itself... that's pretty much what a commitment is.

Religion is an industry.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
03-07-2014, 04:04 PM

I used to be indifferent to religion. Debunking Christianity was my hobby, but it was just an intellectual exercise. But then I started having problem with my parents manipulating me. And in the process, I started being angry about Christians doing the same thing. There is a Christian in this dorm building and I just felt dirty after talking to him, I could just feel his coercive, unearned claims and compulsive arguments worming their way into my reasoning. This slimy way of shifting goalposts and defining concepts ambiguously so that one thing conveniently means whatever we need it to mean at the moment, and that is supposed to convince me - and it might convince bystanders. What a filth, it made me sick when I thought about it later.

Then there is child abuse. Children do not really have a choice to leave. When a parent starts talking about this kind of crap, they know the parent is their lord and master and they depend on him with all their life. They will conform. Of course, tales of Hell and eternal suffering are even more criminal.
I think this video explains the process of indoctrination very well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxYJOBaXQww

Yeah, if you've got a religion, keep it to yourself and it will be OK. Only keeping things to myself means not talking about them. If people did not talk to children about things they can't prove, the world would be much nicer place. Still, it's interesting that getting angry at one kind of manipulation made me angry at other kinds. As a child I was not allowed to be angry, so it was probably a healthy reaction. So it's not wrong to hate religion, it's a natural, healthy thing to do, only it's often suppressed in early childhood, we are conditioned not to hate religion.
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post