Is it wrong to hate religion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2014, 04:09 PM
RE: Is it wrong to hate religion?
Yes, because hating any idea would interfere with human unity.

Hating murder, though, would be acceptable because it is an example of an objectively wrong act.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2014, 04:11 PM
(03-07-2014 04:09 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  Yes, because hating any idea would interfere with human unity.

Hating murder, though, would be acceptable because it is an example of an objectively wrong act.

You believe in objective morality?
[+] 1 user Likes CiderThinker's post
03-07-2014, 04:12 PM
(03-07-2014 04:11 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 04:09 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  Yes, because hating any idea would interfere with human unity.

You believe in objective morality?

Well, some acts are subjectively considered wrong by so many, that in effect, are objectively wrong.
03-07-2014, 04:14 PM
(03-07-2014 04:12 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 04:11 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  You believe in objective morality?

Well, some acts are subjectively considered wrong by so many, that in effect, are objectively wrong.
So if someone were to murder someone that was about to commit an act of mass-murder terrorism would that be wrong?
03-07-2014, 08:30 PM
(03-07-2014 04:14 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 04:12 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  Well, some acts are subjectively considered wrong by so many, that in effect, are objectively wrong.
So if someone were to murder someone that was about to commit an act of mass-murder terrorism would that be wrong?

Well, that strawman would be explained as self-defense, now wouldn't it?
04-07-2014, 12:08 AM
(03-07-2014 08:30 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 04:14 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  So if someone were to murder someone that was about to commit an act of mass-murder terrorism would that be wrong?

nope, it proves the initial moral stance is subjective.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
04-07-2014, 01:01 AM
1) I am not ok with people having their religion - regardless of how privately it is kept. Religion is irrational, and people need to be rational.

2) It depends on the religion. For some, there's not a lot of hate warranted. For others, you'd have to be morally destitute to not hate them.

3) Yes, discovering that an acquaintance is religious would alter my opinion of them permanently. (Or until such time as they abandon said beliefs) This has happened numerous times. Sometimes it's a cute chick at the bar; we're having a great time and chatting it up, then she mentions that she's a christian or says something along the lines of "This woman I know from my church…" At that point, my interest in her drops significantly. I'll be a nice guy and see where things go, but she loses several points with me.

Other times it's someone I've known for a reasonably short amount of time, but with whom I get along wonderfully. Then I find out they're a believer and things become awkward after that. That happened twice at work, actually. I don't have a lot of guy friends, but one dude and I really hit it off from the very first time we met. During a conversation the next day, he tells me he's a christian. From then on, there's been an elephant in the room every time we speak. (And, with every conversation, we're each on alert to inject little religious/anti-religious comments in some attempt to make a subtle point to the other) More recently, I met a guy who's become a really close friend. Unfortunately, I've found myself bullshitting around him because he's a devout born-again christian and I'm…well, not. I don't normally conceal myself for anyone, but I guess I just like this guy a little too much, so I take off my pentagram rings and try to steer the conversation away from religious nonsense for fear of losing his company.

Anyway, yeah, when I find out that someone is religious, my view changes of them.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
04-07-2014, 02:21 AM
Nope, if it was possible to put a concept to the sword it would be religion.
04-07-2014, 03:56 AM
(03-07-2014 08:30 PM)Rinpoche Wrote:  
(03-07-2014 04:14 PM)CiderThinker Wrote:  So if someone were to murder someone that was about to commit an act of mass-murder terrorism would that be wrong?

Not necessarily - you're assuming that the person doing 'self-defense' would be killed by this act of terror - I made no such assumption.
04-07-2014, 05:18 AM
(03-07-2014 02:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  The problem is always hypocrisy. Is being an atheist and having a common belief with others any different than someone else's religion?

Atheism is not a belief, therefore it is not a belief system, therefore it is not a religion.

Where is the hypocrisy?

Quote:Of course it also depends on what is the core conviction of the so called religion, and whether it conflicts with yours. But don't fool yourself into thinking you have no such convictions that conflicts with others. Hate is actually an undesirable emotion. I would submit that if this is the result of atheism, don't blame any other persons religion. In scripture it is written that the last religion will be one that makes belief in God illegal.

What convictions are you referring to? How did you get to hate being the result of atheism? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user