Is jobs = wage slavery?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2012, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2012 12:18 PM by Zat.)
Is jobs = wage slavery?
‘Jobs’ is one of the sacred words today. Anything can be justified by “creating jobs”.

Never mind what the jobs do: weapons of mass destruction, environmental damage, beating up protestors – a job is a job, considered a net plus.

Some people say they love their jobs, maybe because they really do, maybe because they never tried an alternative.

When I started out, after graduating, I had a job. An older friend told me, in an unusually bitter voice: “Never try to make a living with something close to your heart – they will make you hate it!”

I soon found out what he meant.

According to a maxim, at one of the places I worked: “shit always rises to the top”. It seems to be a universal law.

As I got older, I started thinking of jobs as the cage they put zoo animals in: they trade their freedom for a reliable supply of food they don’t have to think about, hunt about.

I have not had jobs for a very long time, being an independent consultant for decades before I retired. The idea of having to have a job makes me nauseated – now I live on my wits, plan my days any way I wish and the small online book business we operate brings in enough money to provide a comfortable living (in addition to the miniscule government pension).

So my question is this: how many of you TRULY love your job, are proud of your contribution to the world and can not imagine doing the same activities better if you were in charge?

I am really curious of the, hopefully, honest answers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
26-02-2012, 11:12 AM
RE: Is jobs = wage slavery?
(26-02-2012 11:08 AM)Zat Wrote:  The idea of having to have a job makes me nauseated –

This is one reason why I take anti-anxiety meds. It makes me nauseated to think about my job as well. No, I don't like what I do for work. I haven't liked what I've done for work since I was a pastor, and the last couple of years of that I didn't enjoy so much either.

People ask, "So what is it you like doing? Why don't you do that for a job?"
I like hanging out on this forum. Sadly I can't seem to get you guys to pay me though. Dodgy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
26-02-2012, 11:19 AM
(26-02-2012 11:08 AM)Zat Wrote:  So my question is this: how many of you TRULY love your job and can not imagine doing the same activities better if you were in charge?

I work in the IT field currently for the USAF, and I love my job in and of itself. I love manipulating routing tables, dhcp scopes, proxies, the whole 9 yards. The military side of my job makes it taxing and no one is ever in charge despite what they think in my field, but I do plan on doing the same job when I get out in 3 years, making 8 times the salary, less work, with others that have the same goal. Who is in charge is not the problem for me, as I adapt to any situation quite well with relative ease.

Honestly, for myself, jobs are needed right now, at least in America. The way our economy is set and so many things such as college prices inflate, there is not much most people can do but try and get a job.

What you do works for you, and you should consider yourself fortunate that things worked out for you. Many small businesses end in the gutter quick for many reasons. Best of luck to you friend.

Peace.

And yet another interesting topic I am not interested in.
[+] 1 user Likes AmishLatinJew's post
26-02-2012, 12:26 PM
(26-02-2012 11:08 AM)Zat Wrote:  So my question is this: how many of you TRULY love your job, are proud of your contribution to the world and can not imagine doing the same activities better if you were in charge?
Hi Zat...
Lets both sit at my fountain of arrogance shall we...

I'm too smart for my job. If I would take a few classes, I could easily take a much more challenging job.

I don't. I underachieve and I'm proud of it.

I think money is overrated.
I think the prestige of a job is overrated
and I also think that it’s better to be a good underachiever and aware of it then a bad overambitious incompetent involuntarily underachiever.

The job pays the bills, taxes and medical care. I even have a little bit to save which pays me fun stuff like vacations and small luxury items.

All the energy I haven’t spend on my job is converted into:
Playtime with my daughter
Love for my wife
Free time to gain insights
Patience for society
Energy to coop with stress

I tell you...
I think more people would benefit from underachieving. There wouldn’t be so much anxiety if more people realised that society is actually fucking them in the ass by making them think ambition is good for them.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
26-02-2012, 03:01 PM
I like my job Smile I work as a programmer. It's my first since being a student. I like getting a salary where I don't have to worry about if I'm gonna eat at the end of the month and I can still do some reasonable cool stuff - go camping or out for a meal without thinking about how expensive it is. Furthermore, I enjoy what I do. It's challenging and I'm not the best qualified I could be to do it so I'm constantly learning. I like feeling that I'm making something useful, and I like making it work the best I can. Maybe in a few years I'll be all grumpy but right now I'm loving it. Only niggle is that the job's in England and the girl's in South Africa...

But I don't feel like a slave. Sure, it'll cost me if I quit now, but I'm getting valuable work experience and learning loads of stuff, and getting paid to do it. Far as I'm concerned it's a sweet deal.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
26-02-2012, 06:52 PM
(26-02-2012 03:01 PM)morondog Wrote:  I like my job Smile I work as a programmer.

I used to love my job when I was a programmer. I was so good at it they kept promoting me. Now I am a manager and a bureaucrat and I don't like it so much, not much at all.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-02-2012, 09:53 PM
I suppose it's possible for a slave to love hir work as much as a free person does. The work and the conditions are different issues. It's possible, too, for someone to take on a task they dislike, even hate, for the fee or advantage it gains them - as long as they can leave when they choose.

It's wage-slavery if the contract is binding on one side but not the other. Or if the contract is entirely dictated by the employer, with the employees having no input. If the employer has all the power and the employee has little or no recourse when s/he does not receive fair compensation or treatment.

It's mind-slavery if the employee can't even imagine working independently, and economic slavery if the society doesn't make independence possible for all its members.

It's not the mean god I have trouble with - it's the people who worship a mean god.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
27-02-2012, 11:28 AM
I got very bored of manipulating people in my old area of sales so I needed something different working outdoors so I became a refuse collector for my local council.

It used to be a good job....I had no one breathing down my neck and the money was good for the hours that I did.....then in stepped the goverment and removed our bonuses (£5000 a year) and gave us more work to do.

The education system in the UK at state level is the most basic.....it makes you into a "civilised" person but thats about it.....there is no drive and no encouragement to make a business for yourself.....they prep you to be a drone and thats it.

It does make me feel slightly bitter that I have possibly only one chance at this life and I have to spend the vast majority of it being at work.......yes I know that things need to be done and the system needs to keep running if we wish to experience what we know today as "normality" but there is more to life than this shit.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
27-02-2012, 12:28 PM
I hate my job. I want to sell cars again.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
01-03-2012, 11:51 PM
"A true gentleman does not work."