Is "lack of fear of death" healthy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-01-2012, 07:39 PM
Is "lack of fear of death" healthy?
How do I love you, atheist, lemme count the ways...

I don't have to bullshit you, for one. My buddy tells me, he's planning on dying on the thirty-first. Heart surgery. Tells me he's gonna tell them to fuck it up but good.

Kinda support I give him? Organ donor/DNR, that's what I put on my shit when I go to the hospital. Might as well get it over with. We're laughing about it, but we're serious; I've been there, I love my Gwynnies, he's got chronic back bullshit and now ticker problems...

But before I fly away and he checks in, we're gonna exchange e-mail info; you know, in case we survive. You might draw a certain conclusion about Johnny Cantor being a morose mofo from some of the shit I post, but in reality, "I love my Gwynnies" is all about light and joy.

Yet I do wonder; I must wonder, what harm I cause. What precedent I set. Lemme know, atheist. Wink

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2012, 07:59 PM
RE: Is "lack of fear of death" healthy?
(22-01-2012 07:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yet I do wonder; I must wonder, what harm I cause. What precedent I set. Lemme know, atheist. Wink

Nah, I think you're doing ok. If people don't get you, they don't. No biggie.
Same with death. Dodgy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
22-01-2012, 08:18 PM
What does Set have to say? Seems like he would have insight about death.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
22-01-2012, 08:27 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2012 09:00 PM by houseofcantor.)
(22-01-2012 08:18 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  What does Set have to say? Seems like he would have insight about death.

Man, where's that ruler? Erxomai, talking outta school, ain't been doing the research; gotta be smacking some knuckles... Big Grin

Nah. The way I heard it, the "neter Set" exists "without identity;" and that's the way I "feel" it as an atheist. But in terms of Set, my voice would be his; "we" have that kind of affinity. I stopped talking to Setians; know why? I felt like I went from acolyte to high priest in a week - glorious in the sense I know what I'm talking about, vainglorious in the sense I don't need either the accolade nor the temptation. That's why it's Blue Suns and not Temple of Set. Wink

The bottom line on that score is "my Gwynnies;" and I have no idea what tomorrow brings. I'm gonna love her. I'm gonna sound like an idiot about it... and there I go with the blushing shit. Kind of fucking prince of darkness am I? Jeez... Tongue
(22-01-2012 07:59 PM)kim Wrote:  
(22-01-2012 07:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yet I do wonder; I must wonder, what harm I cause. What precedent I set. Lemme know, atheist. Wink

Nah, I think you're doing ok. If people don't get you, they don't. No biggie.
Same with death. Dodgy

I worry. Words really fail to do justice to "the Gwynnies waveform." People talk about grieving and death around me - they just don't want me around - it's a moral thing in the sense that some give off the "I will kill you" vibe.

What the fuck do I know? After that last time on the table, and the monkey submind; I thought it was a universal boon. Express "the love of my Gwynnies" by taking away the fear of death? Sounded like a winner. But like an atheist, I put the science to it; talked to people, more importantly, listened to people. And some people; they're just, I don't know, identified with death.

Yet, it's Gwynnies! - in the sense it ain't about me being right - it's about me loving her. This didn't start with agenda; that I was gonna "do something" to catch the attention of an international celebrity. This started - right - here... with me, drawing a girl, giving away her likeness; and others taking note that I loved her. Something I've never seen in the world, that I heard about only from happy hippie tales when everyone was dosed to the gills; I became artifact of "objective love."

Then this prophet shit, six years of increasing isolation; where I can go, now, to an atheist forum like this and pronounce being "emergent demigod Lucifer" without a twinge of dishonor nor deceit because it is not boast but fear. If emergence and evolution made me, it is my responsibility as a human being, atheist, of integrity and intelligence; not to allow a dangerous mutation into society without oversight.

If I am correct about electromagnetic communication, about love and morality being emotional context; everything changes. I don't care how fucked-up everybody else thinks humanity is; I have to know if I am something too much too soon -

-and it bothers me not a whit if many dismiss this as delusions of grandeur

-because "small but finite" does not mean infinitely small. It ain't just the girl that comes over my house; but say one chance in seven billion - that is too risky if it is shown that I am definitely wrong.

Cause I kill this witch. That too is "I love my Gwynnies." So I'm gonna ask; ya don't know if ya don't ask. Wink

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
23-01-2012, 02:47 PM
I can's say lack of fear would be healthy or unhealthy.
Death is something everyone will have to face no matter if scared or not.

Though in my opinion there is a difference between "not being scared" and "being reckless". Doing dangerous things just because you are not afraid to die is simply stupid.

No idea where I heard this:
Live is the worst disease. You transmit it sexually, everyone on the planet has it, and no matter what, it ends deadly.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
23-01-2012, 02:54 PM
In a way I think it shows more maturity than most people are capable of.

Lack of "will to live" on the other hand is unhealthy... or at least it can be.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 1 user Likes Smooshmonster's post
23-01-2012, 03:13 PM
I used to have no fear of death. It never bothered me.
Then I had my daughter and everything changed.
The prospect of me not being around to see her grow up is actually terrifying. That I won't be there to protect her. Yeesh.
Not only that but I've found that I've developed this stupid attachment to my body. It's done nothing but fail me my whole life but I kind of like it. It's like calling for the wreckers to come pick up your first junker. You sort of wish your wife would let you keep it on the lawn redneck style.
As my health constantly takes nose dives my fear of suffering has made itself well known. I've come to wish that when I die it happens not while I sleep an not after months or years of tortuous pain but by gunshot. Some asshole that just decides to end me to my surprise. Over just like that.
No dwelling on the small stuff. No worry. Just dead.
But unfortunately while our crime rate is certainly high enough to raise the likelihood of that scenario I highly doubt I would be so lucky.
It'll be a long painful one I'm sure of it. Luckily I don't believe in hell otherwise I might have other worries.
But boy am I fucked if the funded are right.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
23-01-2012, 11:04 PM (This post was last modified: 24-01-2012 04:50 PM by Mr Woof.)
(23-01-2012 03:13 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I used to have no fear of death. It never bothered me.
Then I had my daughter and everything changed.
The prospect of me not being around to see her grow up is actually terrifying. That I won't be there to protect her. Yeesh.
Not only that but I've found that I've developed this stupid attachment to my body. It's done nothing but fail me my whole life but I kind of like it. It's like calling for the wreckers to come pick up your first junker. You sort of wish your wife would let you keep it on the lawn redneck style.
As my health constantly takes nose dives my fear of suffering has made itself well known. I've come to wish that when I die it happens not while I sleep an not after months or years of tortuous pain but by gunshot. Some asshole that just decides to end me to my surprise. Over just like that.
No dwelling on the small stuff. No worry. Just dead.
But unfortunately while our crime rate is certainly high enough to raise the likelihood of that scenario I highly doubt I would be so lucky.
It'll be a long painful one I'm sure of it. Luckily I don't believe in hell otherwise I might have other worries.
But boy am I fucked if the funded are right.

I see death as essentially extinction or 'something else'.
In either case worry is futile.
By considering one's demise every day potential peace of mind of course is possible..... while on the other hand you might feel more miserable. Angel

"Who then remains unconquerable? He whom the inevitable cannot overcome" Epictetus.
24-01-2012, 10:09 AM
I had a strange moment on riding one of my motorcycles where I had a very close encounter with a swather. For those of you who have never lived in the country, it's basically a wonderfully big piece of farm equipment with spinning blades on it for wheat. I was new to riding motorcycles, it was my first season. I thought I was of course valentino rossi and rode like a bat out of hell even though I shouldn't.

As I'm coming up over this hill I'm going pretty fast. I get up over the top and finally am going down and see a swather pulling out on the side of the road. I thought he saw me coming and must be pulling over for me. What a nice guy.

He turned left in front of me.

In a panic, I did the first thing all newbie bikers do and I grabbed the brake and stomped the rear, locking it up. At this point, the back end was beginning to sway and I realized I was either going to high side or low side and the swather doesn't exactly turn fast. As I'm quickly getting closer to it, I had a moment where all I could muster up was "FUCK." and I knew I was about to die. Skinny dude on a motorcycle going fast into swather blades = dead motorcycle rider. I didn't see my life flash before my eyes. I didn't see all my crazy memories. It wasn't anything like an out of body experience. No angels flew over to help me do a touchdown on the other side of the swather. I just felt like I was fucked. But I just tried to stay calm and just accept it. Strange.

Somehow for a brief moment, my foot let up off the rear brake. The bike shook violently, I let off the other brake and decided to try and move out of the way and somehow I managed to BARELY get around the swather.

It was an odd feeling. I felt pretty accepting of it. I sort of thought "Well... at least I'm going out doing something I enjoy... but a swather? Man... fuck this. This is going to suck."

I'm still here and I'm still riding. Although I don't ride like a retard on the street anymore. Funny how you do that when you first learn to ride (well, at least I did).

Now anymore I just feel that it would suck. I mean yeah, I'd love to see my wife and my family live to be old and do great things. But when it's time to go it's time to go. It happens. It's a fact. It sucks. But so be it. I try to celebrate and enjoy the memories of my lost friends and family rather than stay sad about it. I think to some extent we'll always have a little fear of the unknown and how it will feel. But you can't avoid it. We'll all see it someday.
[+] 4 users Like Logisch's post
24-01-2012, 04:04 PM
There is something about our mind that allows to tune out the fear of death. Leaving only the pain of loss, though sometimes not even that.
I've got no idea how I will react when someone close dies. So far it was just the usual share of dead grandparents and great-grandmother who was 101, you know, no big deal.

To me it looks like it's way more important how someone lives, than the death. I'd be devastated to find out about a betrayal in a close family, to lose illusions about a person I love and admire. That I think would be a worse shock than to see them die. Death is such a natural thing and it doesn't spoil the memories.

In past years I had a series of paranormal observations that totally prove to me that life after death exists. (and is not necessarily well-meaning, where do you think all the assholes end up?) Which rather confirmed the less definite observations and theories I already had. So it's almost like receiving a manual to death and a tour in the facilities, spoiling most of the mystery that fascinated and scared mankind for ages.

The 20th century Theosophists often talked passionately on how the light of Theosophy alleviates the fear of death and uncertainity of things beyond. Which makes me wonder, can it backfire on me? Can a genuine personal-evidence-supported conviction about afterlife, reincarnation, souls, astral world and so on have some inherent dangers? (no sarcastic remarks about superstition, please)

I mean things like the trauma and fear of death is still there, it only goes subconscious and awakens latent psychoses and disorders. Or that it may make one calluous towards suffering and death, seeing death as the easy solution to many problems of other people. (which is of course not what Theosophy teaches)
That's the question of the topic. Is it really that easy, to switch off the fear of death? Just shake hands with a temporarily etherized discarnate and all the morbid culture of death, piety, decorations, funerals and burial is uprooted?

[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A Lack of Fear kingschosen 14 252 27-04-2014 05:22 PM
Last Post: d0gg0d
  Brain death- 13 y/o Jahi McMath Bows and Arrows 21 950 06-01-2014 06:52 PM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys
  Death Hughsie 83 3,104 14-08-2013 10:32 PM
Last Post: NoahsFarce
  Healthy Drinking. Mr Woof 12 689 24-03-2013 03:42 PM