Is my brother spiritual?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2014, 02:35 AM
Is my brother spiritual?
Hi!

my name is Sarah and I am a 26 yr old atheist, have been since I was 7-8 because I could not stop asking the big questions! my brother also became an atheist when he was 15 or so I thought!

I am staying at his house for the week and here is what I have come across: He has a black table, like a tv stand or what some might call, gasp, an altar, on it he has scented candles, a wax burner, a vase filled with flowers, our mom's ashes in an urn of course, a bottle of bourbon and a few misc items such as lighters to light the candles and a knife to cut out the tart once it has melted in the warmer.

Now....every night after he comes home from work, he does the same thing, he opens a bottle of wine, draws a hot bath and turns on strange music, you know, like indian chanting, catholic monks chanting, that kind of thing, he lights the warmer and the candles and he takes his bath.

When I asked him why he does these things, as an atheist, he acted like it was a stress reliever, like it helps him relax after a long day and the candles, warmer and music all act to soothe him as does the wine....

It seems very Pagan to me so I am curious if it does sound that way to you?

I asked him what he believes about spirituality and he gave the answer he always has: he does not believe in God, the supernatural, etc and he just wants no connection or talk of spirituality or religion, he respects other people and their beliefs though as long as they keep it to themselves.

Does he needs these rituals? what about the flowers? what are they for and why the altar?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2014, 04:16 AM
RE: Is my brother spiritual?
He told me that he enjoys the routine, as it allows him to take comfort for a few short predictable moments in an unpredictable world.

Oh and also that he finds it mildly annoying that his sister will not take him at his word when he responds to her inquiries. Smile

"If you're going my way, I'll go with you."- Jim Croce
[+] 1 user Likes Kestrel's post
27-01-2014, 04:46 AM
It sounds like his alter serves as a focal point for meditative relaxation. Take him at his word.

If you really think he is going spiritual on you, surprise him with a trip to the Smithsonian.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
27-01-2014, 04:56 AM
All music is "spiritual" in some way, be it pop, death metal, rap etc etc. We listen to it because in some way we feel a connection.

Lighting a scent burner and candles as part of a routine is no different to getting in and slumping in front of the television or playing video games.

I am an atheist and I listen to spiritual gurus in satsang like Adyashanti, mooji and many many others. They will never make me believe in a god but they will help me understand the person that I am.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
27-01-2014, 06:38 AM
Sounds to me like your brother is actually in fact a women.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
27-01-2014, 12:03 PM
(27-01-2014 02:35 AM)SFlint74 Wrote:  Hi!

my name is Sarah and I am a 26 yr old atheist, have been since I was 7-8 because I could not stop asking the big questions! my brother also became an atheist when he was 15 or so I thought!

I am staying at his house for the week and here is what I have come across: He has a black table, like a tv stand or what some might call, gasp, an altar, on it he has scented candles, a wax burner, a vase filled with flowers, our mom's ashes in an urn of course, a bottle of bourbon and a few misc items such as lighters to light the candles and a knife to cut out the tart once it has melted in the warmer.

Now....every night after he comes home from work, he does the same thing, he opens a bottle of wine, draws a hot bath and turns on strange music, you know, like indian chanting, catholic monks chanting, that kind of thing, he lights the warmer and the candles and he takes his bath.

When I asked him why he does these things, as an atheist, he acted like it was a stress reliever, like it helps him relax after a long day and the candles, warmer and music all act to soothe him as does the wine....

It seems very Pagan to me so I am curious if it does sound that way to you?

I asked him what he believes about spirituality and he gave the answer he always has: he does not believe in God, the supernatural, etc and he just wants no connection or talk of spirituality or religion, he respects other people and their beliefs though as long as they keep it to themselves.

Does he needs these rituals? what about the flowers? what are they for and why the altar?

My question would be is why are you questioning his atheism because he doesn't act like you? Is atheism a religion? Do atheist suppose to behave a certain way?

Atheism is simply believing there is no god. It doesn't matter if he want to a Christian church every Sunday and went through the motions of praying to God. He's till just as atheist as you.

In the words of good atheist everywhere... keep your religion to yourself.
27-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Dont we all have some sort of rituals that we do ?

You said that your 26. So how old is your brother ? Is he a full grown man ? If so why would you care what he does.

I'm a bit older than you 2, but I still fire up some incense and listen to Led Zepplin and have a few beers.

He seems to like the routine that can bring comfort, compared to a hectic world out there.

I wouldnt worry about it.
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
27-01-2014, 12:59 PM
Oh the grammatical errors on this page make me so sad! Weeping
I will agree with Muffs, your brother is "a women".

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
27-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Where the hell is Vosur? It would be nice if I could tag him.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
27-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Maybe he's inventing his own tradition.
Every step might have some cryptic meaning to something in his life.
Perhaps you are the warmer.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
[+] 1 user Likes Caveman's post