Is needing or wanting to worshiping a God a human defect or benefit?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-07-2013, 08:01 PM
RE: Is needing or wanting to worshiping a God a human defect or benefit?
(16-07-2013 07:53 PM)childeye Wrote:  I am guessing you might think this equation makes energy and matter equivalent because of the equal sign. I'm sorry if I have guessed wrong. It is in fact a mathematical formula for measuring the energy contained within the mass of an object.

No.

Just no.

Interaction is what is observable (indeed, measurement is a form of interaction). Matter and energy are traditional ways of characterizing certain types of interactions.

Mass doesn't contain energy. It is energy.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-07-2013, 08:04 PM
(16-07-2013 05:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-07-2013 04:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  Matter and energy are one and the same. And there was no singularity.
No reason to conflate energy with matter so as to draw no distinction. They are not the same at all. Where time began the universe began, a single beginning for our known universe. Sorry, makes perfect sense to me.

E=mc²

Energy and matter are one and the same. I'm sorry that doesn't make sense to you.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-07-2013, 08:11 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2013 03:24 AM by Filox.)
childeye Wrote:
Bucky Ball Wrote:Whichever one that focuses on the type of Love that would suffer injustice, torture and death, and yet forgive with complete understanding and mercy. Your play on words expresses the confusion inherent in scripture. It happens to everyone who reads scripture.

So you don't really know ? And your hoping there might be one, which would fill the bill.
Of course I know. There is only one Christ and he fits all of the descriptions given although the Holy Spirit contains some distinction.

(16-07-2013 03:01 PM)childeye Wrote:  
Bucky Ball Wrote:The Old Testament is a shadow of the New.

That sentence has no meaning. The editors/compilers had specific purposes when they created/assembled their texts, and had no clue that someone would come along thousands of years later, and make preposterous claims about coincidental items that seemed to them to be parallels. If it happens to "everyone who reads scripture" , then it happens to you, and you have no business interpreting it. (You , BTW heave no education in the subject, obviously.)
The sentence has lot's of meaning. It implies the one is greater than the other because it is the substance of which the other is speaking about. What makes you think I have no business interpreting scripture? Scripture has many seemingly contradictory statements that upon further examination are not contradictory at all. By the way, scripture says they shall all be taught by God. Also every man will know God for himself.
16-07-2013, 08:16 PM
(16-07-2013 08:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-07-2013 05:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  No reason to conflate energy with matter so as to draw no distinction. They are not the same at all. Where time began the universe began, a single beginning for our known universe. Sorry, makes perfect sense to me.

E=mc²

Energy and matter are one and the same. I'm sorry that doesn't make sense to you.

How did you make a superscript 2?

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-07-2013, 08:18 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2013 09:22 PM by childeye.)
(16-07-2013 08:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-07-2013 05:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  No reason to conflate energy with matter so as to draw no distinction. They are not the same at all. Where time began the universe began, a single beginning for our known universe. Sorry, makes perfect sense to me.

E=mc²

I'm sorry. I understand why you would think so. But energy and matter are not the same at all. The above equation is a formula to measure the energy contained in an object according to mass. Hence in all clarity, objects contain energy. A thought for you Chas: What is motion?
16-07-2013, 08:23 PM
(16-07-2013 08:18 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-07-2013 08:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  E=mc²

I'm sorry. I understand why you would think so. But energy and matter are not the same at all. The above equation is a formula to measure the energy contained in an object according to mass. Hence in all clarity, objects contain energy.

In physics, mass–energy equivalence is the concept that the mass of a body or system is a measure of its energy content. In particular, any physical system has a property called energy and a corresponding property called mass; the two properties are always present in the same (i.e. constant) proportion to one another. This means (for example) that the total internal energy E of a body at rest is equal to the product of its rest mass m and a suitable unit conversion factor which transforms units of mass to proportionate units of energy.

Or in simple terms Mass is Energy, Energy is Mass. Matter does not contain Energy it is Energy.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
16-07-2013, 08:48 PM
(16-07-2013 08:18 PM)childeye Wrote:  I'm sorry. I understand why you would think so. But energy and matter are not the same at all. The above equation is a formula to measure the energy contained in an object according to mass. Hence in all clarity, objects contain energy. A thought for you Chas: What is motion?

No. They are 'not the same' in the same sense that ice and water are not the same. Believe whatever the hell you want. That claim is simply not true.

You. Are. Wrong.

Deal with it.

16-07-2013, 09:01 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2013 09:31 PM by childeye.)
(16-07-2013 08:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-07-2013 08:18 PM)childeye Wrote:  I'm sorry. I understand why you would think so. But energy and matter are not the same at all. The above equation is a formula to measure the energy contained in an object according to mass. Hence in all clarity, objects contain energy.

In physics, mass–energy equivalence is the concept that the mass of a body or system is a measure of its energy content. In particular, any physical system has a property called energy and a corresponding property called mass; the two properties are always present in the same (i.e. constant) proportion to one another. This means (for example) that the total internal energy E of a body at rest is equal to the product of its rest mass m and a suitable unit conversion factor which transforms units of mass to proportionate units of energy.

Or in simple terms Mass is Energy, Energy is Mass. Matter does not contain Energy it is Energy.
Respectfully, it is not that simple. Your terms are misleading. You leave out motion. You leave no place for energy to be nothing but in the form of an object. Energy is also equivalent to working, expending energy in many forms. We can store energy in batteries. Heat is a type of energy measured in degrees. Hence, energy is not an object. I would say it is more consistent with a waveform.
16-07-2013, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 16-07-2013 09:30 PM by childeye.)
(16-07-2013 08:48 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(16-07-2013 08:18 PM)childeye Wrote:  I'm sorry. I understand why you would think so. But energy and matter are not the same at all. The above equation is a formula to measure the energy contained in an object according to mass. Hence in all clarity, objects contain energy. A thought for you Chas: What is motion?

No. They are 'not the same' in the same sense that ice and water are not the same. Believe whatever the hell you want. That claim is simply not true.

You. Are. Wrong.

Deal with it.
Actually, you are correct, ice and water have different energy measurements and so does steam. In fact ice and steam have opposing forms of energy so to speak. One would cancel out the other while expending their energy. You actually make my point better than I did using water.
16-07-2013, 09:21 PM
(16-07-2013 09:06 PM)childeye Wrote:  Actually, you are correct, ice and water have different energy measurements and so does steam. In fact ice and steam have opposing forms of energy so to speak. One would cancel out the other while expending their energy. You actually make my point better than I did.

I am also in no way making the same point as you. It is utterly fallacious to characterize a differential in thermal energy as 'opposition'.

Indeed, water, like all other substance, gains energy when heated, exactly commensurate with the principle of mass-energy equivalence.

(16-07-2013 09:01 PM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, it is not that simple. Your terms are misleading. You leave out motion. You leave no place for energy to be nothing but an object. Energy is equivalent to working, expending energy in many forms. We can store energy in batteries without changing mass. Heat is a type of energy measured in degrees. Hence, energy is not an object.

It would appear that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Mass and energy are separately conserved but nonetheless necessarily concomitant properties of anything which exists. This is what is meant by equivalence; a certain amount of mass necessarily possesses a certain amount of energy, and a certain amount of energy necessarily possesses a certain amount of mass. This is verifiable by direct experiment.

This was shown definitively one hundred and eight years ago by an extraordinarily gifted man. It has been repeatedly tested and confirmed in the intervening years. There is more and greater truth contained in the single statement E=mc² than in all the worthless scriptures ever written.

[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post