Is our species viable?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Is our species viable?
I just spent an hour listening to the news (I do it once a month for reality-check). The level of stupidity, insanity, viciousness, self-destructiveness, paranoia, hate, fear and total lack of understanding was overwhelming. I know it is the MEDIA and not the people, but still, I wonder.

Is it a no-win game?

What happens when an irresistible force does not meet an unmovable object?

What do we do when all the changes we are capable of are insufficient to solve our problems and those changes that would save our asses are beyond our vision/will-power/courage?

What happens when only the scientific problem solving methods would solve our problems, but we don't know what it is and, if we do, we don't know how to use it?

What happens when religion is practiced by rote, without living its essence of forgiveness, love, sharing, modesty, turning the other cheek?

What happens if we talk endlessly about the need for action, but we seldom act, and when we do, we act against our own professed principles and our own laws?

What happens when we close our minds to things we don't want to hear and restrict our vision to our own backyard, ignoring the interconnectedness of the whole species and the Planet?

What happens when we refuse to think in terms of basic principles?

What happens when we drown ourselves in detail and ignore the structural elements?

What happens when we resent TRUTH?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-02-2012, 01:19 PM
RE: Is our species viable?
... It becomes 2012 Undecided

(I hope you appreciate the irony. One of those dark days again Zat? You allright?)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
27-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Humans have never acted in concert, according to a plan based in a finely-crafted principle. They have generally blundered from one disaster to the next catastrophe, with, in between, a lot of flapping of hands, flags and tongues. The disasters increase in scope and magnitude as the species increases in capabilities and numbers. No increase is infinite. When numbers, capabilities and scope reach a critical limit, the last catastrophe occurs.

But we've had a pretty good run.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 4 users Like Peterkin's post
29-02-2012, 08:44 AM
What's this we shit? And if it ain't Melissa, it ain't news worth watching. Big Grin

We're a speck of nothing on a speck of nothing in a 98 billion light year sea. I ain't as uptight as I used to be. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-02-2012, 08:49 AM
(27-02-2012 01:31 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  Humans have never acted in concert, according to a plan based in a finely-crafted principle.

And, when they tried (like in the Communist experiments), they just repeated the same pattern under different slogans.

You would have hoped for some evolution over the centuries, considering the rapid advances of the sciences but, while we can use the scientific method to solve scientific problems, we seem to be permanently incapable of using the same mental tools to solve human problems.

Of course, I know that human problems remain unsolved because those who have the power to solve them -- don't want to.

So we are careening toward the cut-off point where our technology will overwhelm the existing checks, balances and safeguards. I am pretty sure we are very close to it as I am writing this.
01-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Humans. The vast majority of them are incompetent morons that if left alone will kill themselves.
A great man once said something which I believe is true.
"People need to be properly guided. They need an absolute leader to guide them."
(Paptimus Scirocco).

This world needs a leader who is out for the good of the people and not his rich friends or himself. We need a leader of justice. Unfortunately. The way the world works means that these people never make it far.

Is humanity worth all the horrible things it does? I do not know. The only way humans are going to advance towards a better future is if mass reform is done but the only way that is going to happen is by violence and dark means.

I propose forming a splinter faction and moving away from the rest of the populace.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
01-03-2012, 04:40 PM
(29-02-2012 08:44 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What's this we shit? And if it ain't Melissa, it ain't news worth watching. Big Grin

We're a speck of nothing on a speck of nothing in a 98 billion light year sea. I ain't as uptight as I used to be. Wink

Pretty sure this counts as cheating on Gwynnie.. The Paltrow forces are ANGRYYYYYY

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
02-03-2012, 06:39 AM
(01-03-2012 04:40 PM)k37713 Wrote:  
(29-02-2012 08:44 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  What's this we shit? And if it ain't Melissa, it ain't news worth watching. Big Grin

Pretty sure this counts as cheating on Gwynnie.. The Paltrow forces are ANGRYYYYYY

You silly.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2012, 12:24 AM
I’m going with no, unless we as a species can change.
And this is why; Education is dropping, my school life was easer than my mothers and hers was easer than her mothers.
And as the education system drops its older teachers for younger ones that older knowledge base is lost and as most parents don’t have the time and/or the education to teach their kids as well there are many pieces of information that are lost forever.
Combine this with a growing lower socioeconomic base and the unwashed masses will be the majority within a few generations, especially as those without the means to support their offspring seem to be the ones having the most.
It will only take one generation to not be educated and we lose everything we have created up to that point.

So the conclusion of this is a world overpopulated by morons, we don’t deserve to go on if that is the case.

Or a big fucking rock is going to slam into our home and totally ruin our day…

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche