Is pampered humanity getting steadily less intelligent?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-11-2012, 08:14 PM
RE: Is pampered humanity getting steadily less intelligent?
It's easy to find kids stupid today when you are literate, can do math, and understand basic chemistry and biology. That's more than the average person could say 100 years ago. If humans are becoming less intelligent, that would be strange since data points the other way.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-11-2012, 08:36 PM
(13-11-2012 08:14 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  It's easy to find kids stupid today when you are literate, can do math, and understand basic chemistry and biology. That's more than the average person could say 100 years ago. If humans are becoming less intelligent, that would be strange since data points the other way.
That's kind of true. I have an 18 year old. Super smart. Book smart isn't the same thing tho as being life smart.

Kelly
16-11-2012, 05:48 AM
(13-11-2012 08:14 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  It's easy to find kids stupid today when you are literate, can do math, and understand basic chemistry and biology. That's more than the average person could say 100 years ago. If humans are becoming less intelligent, that would be strange since data points the other way.

Have you talked to any teens lately? They watch things like Jersey Shore and Jackass. So many of them can't spell or do simple math. It is easy to see kids as stupid right now if you know that by the time you were their age, you could do things that they simply can't. Yes, there are smart ones. I have met a few of those. They will be the ones in the future coming up with ideas, while the others will be putting things together by looking at pictures of the steps involved without knowing what all the parts do. You know, like trained chimps only not quite as smart or as cheap.
17-11-2012, 01:26 AM
... Uh... huh?

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Science Believer's post
17-11-2012, 02:08 AM
(16-11-2012 05:48 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  

Have you talked to any teens lately? They watch things like Jersey Shore and Jackass. So many of them can't spell or do simple math. It is easy to see kids as stupid right now if you know that by the time you were their age, you could do things that they simply can't. Yes, there are smart ones. I have met a few of those. They will be the ones in the future coming up with ideas, while the others will be putting things together by looking at pictures of the steps involved without knowing what all the parts do. You know, like trained chimps only not quite as smart or as cheap.

They also seem to deeply lack social skills.
17-11-2012, 02:32 AM
(16-11-2012 05:48 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  

I would like to formally apologize for my retarded generation. My brethren disappoint me greatly.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
17-11-2012, 11:56 AM
(17-11-2012 02:32 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(16-11-2012 05:48 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  Have you talked to any teens lately? They watch things like Jersey Shore and Jackass. So many of them can't spell or do simple math. It is easy to see kids as stupid right now if you know that by the time you were their age, you could do things that they simply can't. Yes, there are smart ones. I have met a few of those. They will be the ones in the future coming up with ideas, while the others will be putting things together by looking at pictures of the steps involved without knowing what all the parts do. You know, like trained chimps only not quite as smart or as cheap.

I would like to formally apologize for my retarded generation. My brethren disappoint me greatly.

Suddenly a small glimmer of hope.
17-11-2012, 01:15 PM
I know a lot of smart youth and I am exited for the next generations to come. Many of them are recognizing what to do away with and picking up a future minded attitude. Some of the projects and initiatives I see are inspiring and so creative, I even have slight envy for the places they are going. There are so many possibilities at the fingertips of the next gens, some are naturally intuitive (like technology) but some are being worked really hard for- activism being a big one.

I am sure there are some dumb seemingly unintelligent *people/groups of people*, but I definitely wouldn't colour a whole generation with the same brush.

(I've said it before- I Heart youth!)
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
17-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Id say some of the most basic skills of life are being taking for granted.

If something happened to this planet that wiped out all electrical appliances then many of us wouldnt possess the skills needed to survive.

Things like how to light a fire from scratch, how to catch and prepare an animal, how to plant crops and get the best yields from them.

Tons of information is stored on computer appliances now, we dont use paper like we used to. You lose the internet.... to some degree you lose intelligence Consider

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
17-11-2012, 02:57 PM
Is pampered humanity getting steadily less intelligent?
(17-11-2012 01:15 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I know a lot of smart youth and I am exited for the next generations to come. Many of them are recognizing what to do away with and picking up a future minded attitude. Some of the projects and initiatives I see are inspiring and so creative, I even have slight envy for the places they are going. There are so many possibilities at the fingertips of the next gens, some are naturally intuitive (like technology) but some are being worked really hard for- activism being a big one.

I am sure there are some dumb seemingly unintelligent *people/groups of people*, but I definitely wouldn't colour a whole generation with the same brush.

(I've said it before- I Heart youth!)

Cougar. Drinking Beverage

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post