Is religion a delusion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2015, 07:17 AM
RE: Is religion a delusion?
(04-11-2015 09:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Why are you on an atheist site expecting atheists to have positive opinions about deluded religious morons?

I don't expect you to have positive opinions.

I'm just pointing out when you fling around the term delusion, it amounts to nothing more than a cheap insult.

Or perhaps you lie to yourself and believe that when use the term that you're making an objective observation, a scientifically informed conclusion? I'm wondering if your so deluded that you imagine this is exactly what your doing, rather than just trolling?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2015, 07:56 AM
Is religion a delusion?
(05-11-2015 07:17 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 09:23 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Why are you on an atheist site expecting atheists to have positive opinions about deluded religious morons?

I don't expect you to have positive opinions.

I'm just pointing out when you fling around the term delusion, it amounts to nothing more than a cheap insult.

Or perhaps you lie to yourself and believe that when use the term that you're making an objective observation, a scientifically informed conclusion? I'm wondering if your so deluded that you imagine this is exactly what your doing, rather than just trolling?

Your bias is showing again.

When I use a term in a way consistent with its definition and explain my use, and you assume an ulterior motive, it makes it clear you've no interest in honest conversation. Keep trying to contort what people say while trying to play shrink. It seems to be working so well for you Drinking Beverage

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
05-11-2015, 08:07 AM
(04-11-2015 11:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  Delusion is the subject of this thread. Facepalm

Oh. And here I was thinking it was about shimmering.

*sulking*

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
05-11-2015, 08:16 AM
(03-11-2015 12:25 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Delusion tends to be defined by popular opinion. If most of society does not believe in the invisible pink unicorn, the person who does is considered delusional. If most of society does believe in the invisible god character, the person who does isn't (usually) considered delusional.

As time goes on and the world gets more secular, I think religion will be judged as delusional more often.

Yeah, a lot of it has to do with how society accommodates, and even lauds religious belief.

I know a guy on another forum who created his own role-playing game (it's mostly horror-movie type stuff). In one section, he sets up advantages and disadvantages you can take for your character. Almost every one of these are one or two sentences long. Then, I got to the Delusional disadvantage, which was a full paragraph. Knowing the guy's (lack of) religious beliefs, I figured it'd be good:

After Sundown Wrote:Delusional: The character is absolutely certain of something that does not appear to be true and will not be swayed by any evidence to the contrary. This would include most religious beliefs, but the character is not awarded Disadvantages for believing ridiculous things that are believed by a large portion of the population, because such delusions do not negatively impact the character. So if you believe that there are important messages from aliens coded in dog howls, that's a disadvantage; but if you believe that there are important messages from Jesus coded in cheese sandwiches, this is not a disadvantage. Not because it isn't counter-factual and immune to contrary evidence, but because society at large has accepted people with such delusions and made accommodations for them.
[+] 7 users Like RobbyPants's post
05-11-2015, 08:22 AM
(05-11-2015 07:56 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Your bias is showing again.

When I use a term in a way consistent with its definition and explain my use, and you assume an ulterior motive, it makes it clear you've no interest in honest conversation. Keep trying to contort what people say while trying to play shrink. It seems to be working so well for you Drinking Beverage

You don't have an ulterior motive, you just fling the term around as an insult, like when you call someone a retard, or a dumb fuck. That's why you appeal to colloquial use here, because you're not particularly clueless to the fact that your using the term to provoke and troll.

You do so because it makes you feel better about yourself, it helps your self-image.

That's clearly what you're doing. You just lack the sort of honesty needed to admit that.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
05-11-2015, 08:41 AM
(05-11-2015 08:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 07:56 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Your bias is showing again.

You don't have an ulterior motive, you just fling the term around as an insult, like when you call someone a retard, or a dumb fuck. That's why you appeal to colloquial use here, because you're not particularly clueless to the fact that your using the term to provoke and troll.

You do so because it makes you feel better about yourself, it helps your self-image.

That's clearly what you're doing. You just lack the sort of honesty needed to admit that.

"...you call someone a retard..." Name one time I ever called someone a "retard" you dumb fuck.

"That's why you appeal to colloquial use here..."

That is why I appeal to the actual definition when I use words like "delusion" or "evidence" or "opinion" or etc etc ad nauseum

"...you're not particularly clueless to the fact that your using the term to provoke and troll."

I have been straightforward about my interactions with you and described my intentions in detail. Drill it into your thick skull and maybe it'll eventually find brain.

"You do so because it makes you feel better about yourself, it helps your self-image."

No, I have already (more than once) explained to you why I do it. I do it because this is an atheist forum where myself (and others) come to get away from dishonest fucks like you.

"That's clearly what you're doing. You just lack the sort of honesty needed to admit that."

More "I'm rubber and you're glue" bullshit from you. Drinking Beverage Isn't it school time for you Consider You don't want to miss nap Laughat

-Rick
05-11-2015, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2015 09:35 AM by Tomasia.)
(05-11-2015 08:41 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "That's why you appeal to colloquial use here..."

That is why I appeal to the actual definition when I use words like "delusion" or "evidence" or "opinion" or etc etc ad nauseum

"...you're not particularly clueless to the fact that your using the term to provoke and troll."

I have been straightforward about my interactions with you and described my intentions in detail. Drill it into your thick skull and maybe it'll eventually find brain.

"You do so because it makes you feel better about yourself, it helps your self-image."

No, I have already (more than once) explained to you why I do it. I do it because this is an atheist forum where myself (and others) come to get away from dishonest fucks like you.

And that's just the lie you tell yourself, the lie every unbearable dickhead tells himself.

The real reason, is because you're a depressed sack of shit. You come in here to find some people to talk to, to befriend to help you deal with it, and that's fine, but like every other depressed sack of shit you also tend put people down, to make yourself feel better.

You can't help but take out your own demons and skeletons on others. But you're so deluded that you can't even acknowledge this. Half the time I try and empathize with you, and other times it appears you push the envelop far enough to warrant a reality check.

You talk about confronting reality, perhaps you should take your own advice and take a good look in the mirror every once in awhile.

05-11-2015, 09:41 AM
Is religion a delusion?
(05-11-2015 09:30 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 08:41 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  "That's why you appeal to colloquial use here..."

And that's just the lie you tell yourself, the lie every unbearable dickhead tells himself.

The real reason, is because you're a depressed sack of shit. You come in here to find some people to talk to, to befriend to help you deal with it, and that's fine, but like every other depressed sack of shit you also tend put people down, to make yourself feel better.

You can't help but take out your own demons and skeletons on others. But you're so deluded that you can't even acknowledge this. Half the time I try and empathize with you, and other times it appears you push the envelop far enough to warrant a reality check.

You talk about confronting reality, perhaps you should take your own advice and take a good look in the mirror every once in awhile.

Laugh out load do I pay you by the hour, Freud?

-Rick
05-11-2015, 09:49 AM
(05-11-2015 09:41 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 09:30 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And that's just the lie you tell yourself, the lie every unbearable dickhead tells himself.

Laugh out load do I pay you by the hour, Freud?

That's DOCTOR Freud to you, sir.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-11-2015, 09:53 AM
(05-11-2015 09:49 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 09:41 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Laugh out load do I pay you by the hour, Freud?

That's DOCTOR Freud to you, sir.

"That's "DOCTOR" Freud to you, sir." <- I fixed that for you Thumbsup

He's a doctor like Dr. Pepper is a doctor. And coincidentally, he is a psychiatrist/psychologist in the same way that Dr. Pepper is! Laughat

-Rick