Is religion a delusion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 06:15 AM
RE: Is religion a delusion?
(05-11-2015 08:43 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  What would they be being cheated out of exactly?

The chance to live their lives to the fullest extent possible by living in accord with actual reality.

(05-11-2015 09:20 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Things evolve. Humans are larger now than they were 100 years ago. Oh wait that's from breeding differences. Never mind. Man is obviously most fit though.Oh wait we continually tormenvand take advantage of other living things with utter disregard. Shit!

Pops, just stop. You betray your cartoon-like understanding of evolution every time you bring it up. Either learn what it really is about or drop it.

Quote: Wait, I got it; birds evelved from reptiles. But both are still on earth cuz survival of the fittests... no, that can't be right.

Facepalm

Quote:I really have generally believed in evolution and still do. But some things just aren't true.

As I've said before, you are apparently unable to distinguish what is true from what is fantasy.

Quote:Did all life come from single celled organisms? Maybe. Really don't know of too much proof for that though.

Maybe if you read some actual science and stopped basing your worldview on the ignorant speculations of bronze age people you'd find the evidence and actually learn something.

Quote:I do like the evolutionary chain of man. Even have some input on the gap or leap there of. Really though, I do believe in some form of evolution. Does that mean that I believe some of the wild shit that evolutionist believe? Nah.

Facepalm

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-11-2015, 06:42 AM
Delusion in my Christian friend:

Her sister is passing through town and my friend is to meet her at the airport for a couple of hours. This is a much cherished meeting, and my friend has been looking forward to it.

She starts to leave and her car won't start. She calls road service - nothing. She has the car towed and stays home because god doesn't want her to go. God always has a reason.

My friend prays and thanks god for his love and caring, for making sure she avoided the accident she was sure to have that day.

That's delusion.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
06-11-2015, 06:51 AM
Is religion a delusion?
(06-11-2015 05:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 06:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I was going to let this slide Tom but I can’t.

I grew in a home where my mother suffered from full blown manic depression and for the record she is one of the most religious people I know, she was then and still is now.

I hated coming home from high school because I never knew what I would find on the other side of the door. More than once I had to break down doors and call 911 to resucitate my mother from overdoses of sleeping pills or to sew up self inflicted wounds.

So I would appreciate it if you were to tread carefully when you generalize about a very serious condition and any attempt at either diagnosing or trivializing it over the internet. I won’t even go into your qualifications regarding this.

I can relate man, but yea it was dick move on my part.

TBD can suck it, but to you, and girlyman and anyone else I apologize, for going that low.

You're a dishonest and deluded moron who plays the typical "high and mighty theist" as you pretend to be (among many other things) better than us. But you betray your own illusion with your arrogance, your ignorance, your lies, your dishonesty, your deceit, and your closed-mind.

That litany of bullshit of you playing shrink and hurling about generalizations and trivialization about serious mental health disorders, wasn't the first time you've peddled that bullshit and it won't be the last. Why? Because you're arrogant, ignorant, and a wholly dishonest asshole pretending to be anything other than one.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
06-11-2015, 07:27 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 12:01 PM by Tomasia.)
(06-11-2015 06:51 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You're a dishonest and deluded moron who plays the typical "high and mighty theist" as you pretend to be (among many other things) better than us. But you betray your own illusion with your arrogance, your ignorance, your lies, your dishonesty, your deceit, and your closed-mind.

That litany of bullshit of you playing shrink and hurling about generalizations and trivialization about serious mental health disorders, wasn't the first time you've peddled that bullshit and it won't be the last. Why? Because you're arrogant, ignorant, and a wholly dishonest asshole pretending to be anything other than one.

Honestly what the fuck do you want? You’re like a leech, your always just trying to provoke some nasty rabbit hole for both of us to fall into, and your routinely succeed in doing that. On top of my headache, you’re excruciatingly unbearable. There’s no fucking solution, ignoring you doesn’t work, trying to lighten you up doesn’t work, being a dick head doesn’t work.

What is your issue dude? You’re always around the corner, interjecting yourself into a conversion with others, just to make the conversation about me, and to turn it sour real quick. You’re some vindictive asshole, a lousy bully.

I don’t play high and mighty you dumb ass, nor do I pretend to be better than others here, because there are far better people here than me, so quite fucking projecting, whatever shit you’re projecting. I don't like being a dick, but you make it easy.

Your just a fucking leech, a drain, a headache, and I have no fucking clue what the fuck to do with you, you seem hell bent on some purely vindictive crusade. So tell me what the fuck do you want from me? Be a bigger dick? Say even more contemptuous mean shit to you? What role am I supposed to take in your play? The villain?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
06-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Is religion a delusion?
(06-11-2015 07:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 06:51 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You're a dishonest and deluded moron who plays the typical "high and mighty theist" as you pretend to be (among many other things) better than us. But you betray your own illusion with your arrogance, your ignorance, your lies, your dishonesty, your deceit, and your closed-mind.

Honestly what the fuck do you want? You’re like a leach, your always just trying to provoke some nasty rabbit hole for both of us to fall into, and your routinely succeed in doing that. On top of my headache, you’re excruciatingly unbearable. There’s no fucking solution, ignoring you doesn’t work, trying to lighten you up doesn’t work, being a dick head doesn’t work.

What is your issue dude? You’re always around the corner, interjecting yourself into a conversion with others, just to make the conversation about me, and to turn it sour real quick. You’re some vindictive asshole, a lousy bully.

I don’t play high and mighty you dumb ass, nor do I pretend to be better than others here, because there are far better people here than me, so quite fucking projecting, whatever shit you’re projecting. I don't like being a dick, but you make it easy.

Your just a fucking leach, a drain, a headache, and I have no fucking clue what the fuck to do with you, you seem hell bent on some purely vindictive crusade. So tell me what the fuck do you want from me? Be a bigger dick? Say even more contemptuous mean shit to you? What role am I supposed to take in your play? The villain?

All I want is to facilitate you exposing your true self and actual intentions for being here to others on the forum. And you continue to do so.

I simply want to expose the fraud that is the dishonest theist Drinking Beverage

-Rick
06-11-2015, 07:42 AM
Is religion a delusion?
As long as you're here peddling your dishonest bullshit, preaching your ignorance, I've no intention of letting you off the hook for being an arrogant, ignorant, dishonest dickhead Drinking Beverage

-Rick
06-11-2015, 08:20 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 08:26 AM by Tomasia.)
(06-11-2015 07:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  All I want is to facilitate you exposing your true self and actual intentions for being here to others on the forum. And you continue to do so.

I simply want to expose the fraud that is the dishonest theist Drinking Beverage

Why are you even on this fucking vindicate crusade? Who gives a shit, so why have you made it your fucking mission?

Just get off of it dude. It'd make life easier for both of us.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
06-11-2015, 09:33 AM
(06-11-2015 06:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  Delusion in my Christian friend:

Her sister is passing through town and my friend is to meet her at the airport for a couple of hours. This is a much cherished meeting, and my friend has been looking forward to it.

She starts to leave and her car won't start. She calls road service - nothing. She has the car towed and stays home because god doesn't want her to go. God always has a reason.

My friend prays and thanks god for his love and caring, for making sure she avoided the accident she was sure to have that day.

That's delusion.
It may not have been avoidance of an accident. But there indeed was a reason that she wasn't able to go.

A similar thing happened to me once. I knew I just had to do something within a particular time frame. This was not the case though. God does intervene. More often than not we don't see these things for what they truly are. Delusion indeed.
06-11-2015, 09:39 AM
(06-11-2015 07:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 07:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Honestly what the fuck do you want? You’re like a leach, your always just trying to provoke some nasty rabbit hole for both of us to fall into, and your routinely succeed in doing that. On top of my headache, you’re excruciatingly unbearable. There’s no fucking solution, ignoring you doesn’t work, trying to lighten you up doesn’t work, being a dick head doesn’t work.

Your just a fucking leach, a drain, a headache, and I have no fucking clue what the fuck to do with you, you seem hell bent on some purely vindictive crusade. So tell me what the fuck do you want from me? Be a bigger dick? Say even more contemptuous mean shit to you? What role am I supposed to take in your play? The villain?

All I want is to facilitate you exposing your true self and actual intentions for being here to others on the forum. And you continue to do so.

Is your claim that all theists are dishonest?
06-11-2015, 09:40 AM
(06-11-2015 08:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 07:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  All I want is to facilitate you exposing your true self and actual intentions for being here to others on the forum. And you continue to do so.

Why are you even on this fucking vindicate crusade? Who gives a shit, so why have you made it your fucking mission?

Just get off of it dude. It'd make life easier for both of us.

If you want me off of your case, you only have two options you dishonest twit:

1) Actually start being honest in your discussions and your reason for being on an atheist forum. Honesty would include things like: admitting when you're wrong (still waiting on that "abundant and compelling evidence"), when you have said something stupid (the "abundant and compelling evidence" for nonexistence for instance. Or your insistence on bullshitting and butchering other terminology, like: evidence, opinion, unconscious, etc), actually listening to what people are telling you and the information they give you that disputes your religious bullshit (your Jesus is indistinguishable from myth and morality isn't objective).

Or

2) Fuck off to a theist forum Drinking Beverage

-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post