Is religion a delusion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 09:42 AM
RE: Is religion a delusion?
Living your life to the fullest should entail the acquisition of all knowledge one can attain and acting on said knowledge. Faith does not hinder that at all. For some it actually helps.

Still going on about evolution I see. I'm not here to debate the relevence or accuracy of evolution. It is factual.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2015, 09:50 AM
(06-11-2015 09:33 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  God does intervene. More often than not we don't see these things for what they truly are. Delusion indeed.

Please provide the mechanism for determining what is god intervening and what is random chance. Your "feels" are not evidence.

(06-11-2015 09:42 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Living your life to the fullest should entail the acquisition of all knowledge one can attain and acting on said knowledge. Faith does not hinder that at all. For some it actually helps.

No, faith blocks people from investigating honestly and blinds them to reality. There is nothing good about faith in the religious sense.

Quote:Still going on about evolution I see. I'm not here to debate the relevence or accuracy of evolution. It is factual.

I only bring it up in reply to your mischaracterizations of it. You do that a lot -- bring something up and then cry about wanting to change the subject when you have no response to criticisms of your bullshit. That's what faith gets you -- nothing to stand on.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
06-11-2015, 10:10 AM
Unfogged, there is no mechanism to speak of. It isn't always for us to know. If and when God wants us to know it will show us in whatever manner it deems.

I agree that indoctrination to particular sects or religions at an early age could indeed impede judgement. I am thankful that this wasn't the case for me, and I pray that those who are lost in anyway find their way home.

Ok, so correct my mischaractorizations, as opposed to talking shit. You claim I am confuse theon evolution. Okay, set me straight. I am not adverse to new input. I look forward to it. I have found that ridicule is a sure fire way to avoid conveying a more knowledgeable stance. So, if you would care to elaborate without talking to e as if I am intellectually incapable of comprehension I am all ears.
I look forward to it.
Thanks.
Peace.
[+] 1 user Likes popsthebuilder's post
06-11-2015, 10:19 AM
(06-11-2015 10:10 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Unfogged, there is no mechanism to speak of. It isn't always for us to know. If and when God wants us to know it will show us in whatever manner it deems.

You are certainly doing an excellent job of demonstrating how deleterious religious beliefs can be to your intellect. Keep it up!

Quote:I agree that indoctrination to particular sects or religions at an early age could indeed impede judgement. I am thankful that this wasn't the case for me, and I pray that those who are lost in anyway find their way home.

It's the ones who have abandoned reality for faith that are lost.

Quote:Ok, so correct my mischaractorizations, as opposed to talking shit. You claim I am confuse theon evolution. Okay, set me straight. I am not adverse to new input. I look forward to it. I have found that ridicule is a sure fire way to avoid conveying a more knowledgeable stance. So, if you would care to elaborate without talking to e as if I am intellectually incapable of comprehension I am all ears.

I suspect you are incapably of absorbing anything that doesn't agree with your little fantasy world... but let's start with what you think you know...

What do you think is meant by "survival of the fittest"?
What do you think is meant by "natural selection"?
Are humans "more evolved" than other primates? than other vertebrates?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
06-11-2015, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 10:38 AM by GirlyMan.)
(05-11-2015 08:48 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  So if we subtract those three things from ones Faith in God then what constitutes their delusion.

Their delusion is not about God. Their delusion is thinking that they can somehow survive their own death. Not all theists believe that (ChristianScientists, e.g.). But it is the cornerstone of many religions. And it is bullshit.

#sigh
06-11-2015, 10:39 AM
(05-11-2015 09:11 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 09:02 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Quote, “proven to some extent” and now “manipulated”.

Just no.
If man acted differently many species would be in a wholly better disposition, so yeah.

Non-sequitor.

Still no.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-11-2015, 10:43 AM
(06-11-2015 05:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-11-2015 06:44 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I was going to let this slide Tom but I can’t.

I grew in a home where my mother suffered from full blown manic depression and for the record she is one of the most religious people I know, she was then and still is now.

I hated coming home from high school because I never knew what I would find on the other side of the door. More than once I had to break down doors and call 911 to resucitate my mother from overdoses of sleeping pills or to sew up self inflicted wounds.

So I would appreciate it if you were to tread carefully when you generalize about a very serious condition and any attempt at either diagnosing or trivializing it over the internet. I won’t even go into your qualifications regarding this.

I can relate man, but yea it was dick move on my part.

TBD can suck it, but to you, and girlyman and anyone else I apologize, for going that low.

Apology accepted.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-11-2015, 10:43 AM
Unfogged,

Survival of the fittest; the capacity to thrive by means of adjusting to ones habitat.

Natural selection;
The ability of nature to allow those adequately adjusted to habitat to thrive and those that lack said adjustment to fail in existence or the advancement there of.

No, humans are not more evolved. Evolution is of the whole of existence and doesn't pertain to one type of life more than another.

Man does manipulate the natural process though.

Thanks for attempting to help my understanding of things I haven't studied. Really.

Peace.
06-11-2015, 10:59 AM
(06-11-2015 10:10 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Ok, so correct my mischaractorizations, as opposed to talking shit. You claim I am confuse theon evolution. Okay, set me straight. I am not adverse to new input. I look forward to it.

Read books on evolution. I already suggested one but you appear to have ignored it.

There is no way to explain the intricacies of evolution and everything that backs it up in a few paragraphs on a forum. There are mountains of papers and studies and observations that confirm it and hundreds if not thousands of books that explore and explain it.

You have to read pops, no way around it and as I said earlier, we can discuss the chapters and pages you don’t understand at greater length but right now with you we are at square 1, you simply don’t understand the mechanisms and therefore all your arguments are based on ignorance.

Read and let’s discuss.

06-11-2015, 10:59 AM
(06-11-2015 10:43 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Unfogged,

Survival of the fittest; the capacity to thrive by means of adjusting to ones habitat.

Natural selection;
The ability of nature to allow those adequately adjusted to habitat to thrive and those that lack said adjustment to fail in existence or the advancement there of.

No, humans are not more evolved. Evolution is of the whole of existence and doesn't pertain to one type of life more than another.

Man does manipulate the natural process though.

Thanks for attempting to help my understanding of things I haven't studied. Really.

Peace.

Not bad.

This one though ...
Quote:Survival of the fittest; the capacity to thrive by means of adjusting to ones habitat.

... what adjusts? Individuals or groups?