Is religion a delusion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2015, 11:11 AM
RE: Is religion a delusion?
(06-11-2015 10:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:43 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Unfogged,

Survival of the fittest; the capacity to thrive by means of adjusting to ones habitat.

Natural selection;
The ability of nature to allow those adequately adjusted to habitat to thrive and those that lack said adjustment to fail in existence or the advancement there of.

No, humans are not more evolved. Evolution is of the whole of existence and doesn't pertain to one type of life more than another.

Man does manipulate the natural process though.

Thanks for attempting to help my understanding of things I haven't studied. Really.

Peace.

Not bad.

This one though ...
Quote:Survival of the fittest; the capacity to thrive by means of adjusting to ones habitat.

... what adjusts? Individuals or groups?
Both.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2015, 11:21 AM
(06-11-2015 11:11 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 10:59 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Not bad.

This one though ...

... what adjusts? Individuals or groups?
Both.

Nope.

And the species doesn’t “adjust”, it evolves.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
06-11-2015, 11:22 AM
(06-11-2015 11:21 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 11:11 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Both.

Nope.

And the species doesn’t “adjust”, it evolves.

It (a species) adapts or adjusts, or it goes extinct. Evolution would be the relationship between ancestral and descendent species.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
06-11-2015, 11:26 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2015 11:36 AM by Tomasia.)
(06-11-2015 09:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If you want me off of your case, you only have two options you dishonest twit:

1) Actually start being honest in your discussions and your reason for being on an atheist forum. Honesty would include things like: admitting when you're wrong (still waiting on that "abundant and compelling evidence"), when you have said something stupid (the "abundant and compelling evidence" for nonexistence for instance. Or your insistence on bullshitting and butchering other terminology, like: evidence, opinion, unconscious, etc), actually listening to what people are telling you and the information they give you that disputes your religious bullshit (your Jesus is indistinguishable from myth and morality isn't objective).

I’m not going to change your perception of me, or try to. I’ve been on atheists and religious forums for close to decade, and I’m just gonna be me, and I tend to get along ok with most people. But you’re not gonna bully me into accepting your arguments, if I disagree with an argument, I try and state why, the best I can.

But you’re beyond a fucking argument, you seem to be on some personal moral crusade of one.

Quote:Or

2) Fuck off to a theist forum

Yea, you’re just a pathetic bully. Since you don’t like me, rather then just ignoring each other, you prefer to harass and bully me hoping that I eventually can’t tolerate it anymore, and leave.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
06-11-2015, 11:45 AM
(06-11-2015 11:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 09:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  If you want me off of your case, you only have two options you dishonest twit:

1) Actually start being honest in your discussions and your reason for being on an atheist forum. Honesty would include things like: admitting when you're wrong (still waiting on that "abundant and compelling evidence"), when you have said something stupid (the "abundant and compelling evidence" for nonexistence for instance. Or your insistence on bullshitting and butchering other terminology, like: evidence, opinion, unconscious, etc), actually listening to what people are telling you and the information they give you that disputes your religious bullshit (your Jesus is indistinguishable from myth and morality isn't objective).

I’m not going to change your perception of me, or try to. I’ve been on atheists and religious forums for close to decade, and I’m just gonna be me, and I tend to get along ok with most people. But you’re not gonna bully me into accepting your arguments, if I disagree with an argument, I try and state why, the best I can.

But you’re beyond a fucking argument, you seem to be on some personal moral crusade of one.

Yea, you’re just a pathetic bully. Since you don’t like me, rather then just ignoring each other, you prefer to harass and bully me hoping that I eventually can’t tolerate it anymore, and leave.
A thriving tree is a beautiful thing. People tend to get pissed when they can't make the tree move or bend, and can't seem to cut it down due to a lack of the appropriate tool.

Just ranting. Carry on.

Peace.
06-11-2015, 11:52 AM

"I’m not going to change your perception of me, or try to. I’ve been on atheists and religious forums for close to decade, and I’m just gonna be me, and I tend to get along ok with most people. But you’re not gonna bully me into accepting your arguments, if I disagree with an argument, I try and state why, the best I can."

Yes, you are correct (for once) in that my perception of you was generated months ago through your actions as a theist on an atheist forum. You have made it abundantly clear that honesty is not your forte and (despite what you claim) you are not here for honest discourse. The likelihood, therefore, of a change in my perception of you is highly unlikely, as that would require you to change into an honest person.

"But you’re beyond a fucking argument, you seem to be on some personal moral crusade of one. "

Yes, I have explicitly told you this. This is a good example of how you clearly don't get what people explicitly tell you because you try and straw man what they do tell you. You are a dishonest theist playing the "high and mighty" card while simultaneously preaching your religious drivel (under the guise, like many theists, that you aren't preaching if you aren't in a pulpit or holding a sign).

"Yea, you’re just a pathetic bully. Since you don’t like me, rather then just ignoring each other, you prefer to harass and bully me hoping that I eventually can’t tolerate it anymore, and leave."

You are on an atheist site peddling religious quackery and because I (an atheist) call you on your bullshit and your ethical, moral, and intellectual failings, that makes me a bully? No, it makes me correct in having pegged you as a dishonest individual who can't admit when they are wrong, or dishonest, or even explicitly lying.

You asked "Why are you even on this fucking vindicate crusade? Who gives a shit, so why have you made it your fucking mission?" and I told you the two ways you could get me off of your back, and you don't like them (surprise surprise) because option 1 requires you to be honest, a feat you are clearly incapable of, and option 2 requires you to admit that you didn't come here for honest discussion in the first place if it is a better option than option 1.

But I was wondering when you would play the "I am a christian being bullied by an atheist" persecution card. There is this new movie coming out I am sure you would like.

-Rick
06-11-2015, 11:56 AM
(06-11-2015 07:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You’re like a leach, ... Your just a fucking leach, ...

Do you mean "leach" or "leech"? Both could make sense but mean much different things.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
06-11-2015, 12:00 PM

I will however make a deal with you to stop my crusade regarding your past dishonest transgressions, if you do a couple of things.

First, 2 options regarding your Harry Potter claims
Option 1) Actually deliver the "abundant and compelling evidence" of the fictionality of Harry Potter you claim exists.

Or

Option 2) Admit that you are full of shit and that that claim was merely a red herring designed to relieve you of the burden of proof for backing up your bullshit religious claims about your Zombie messiah.

And secondly, admit your failings in your use of language to manipulate conversations to generate a specific spin towards your religious delusions.

^Which I have made multiple threads regarding.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
06-11-2015, 12:01 PM
(06-11-2015 11:56 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 07:27 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You’re like a leach, ... Your just a fucking leach, ...

Do you mean "leach" or "leech"? Both could make sense but mean much different things.

*leech.

Stop persecuting me.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
06-11-2015, 12:07 PM
(06-11-2015 09:33 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(06-11-2015 06:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  Delusion in my Christian friend:

Her sister is passing through town and my friend is to meet her at the airport for a couple of hours. This is a much cherished meeting, and my friend has been looking forward to it.

She starts to leave and her car won't start. She calls road service - nothing. She has the car towed and stays home because god doesn't want her to go. God always has a reason.

My friend prays and thanks god for his love and caring, for making sure she avoided the accident she was sure to have that day.

That's delusion.
It may not have been avoidance of an accident. But there indeed was a reason that she wasn't able to go.

A similar thing happened to me once. I knew I just had to do something within a particular time frame. This was not the case though. God does intervene. More often than not we don't see these things for what they truly are. Delusion indeed.

Of course there was a reason she wasn't able to go - she wouldn't get in the tow truck with the driver to watch the car get fixed and go to see her sister because she assumed god didn't want her to and was protecting her.

Delusion intervened.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man