Is religion a delusion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2015, 03:14 PM
Is religion a delusion?
Religion (or a belief in a god or supernature more generally) is a delusion in that it is not a true representation of reality and requires a suspension of logic substituted for faith in order to be believed.

The religious are delusional with respect to reality, but they believe they are not because of consistency within their religious belief system.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
03-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Is religion a delusion?
And it would certainly seem to qualify as a mental disorder for some as they handle snakes, speak in tongues, and believe a Jewish zombie was a real person. Drinking Beverage

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
03-11-2015, 03:38 PM
RE: Is religion a delusion?
Religious beliefs meet the definition of a delusion.
Its that simple.

A gullible person rarely realizes that they are gullible.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
03-11-2015, 03:41 PM
(03-11-2015 03:14 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The religious are delusional with respect to reality, but they believe they are not because of consistency within their religious belief system.

A consistency with their epistemological framework. What you refer to as delusions here, are beliefs that corresponds to competing epistemological frameworks besides your own.

Quote:Religion (or a belief in a god or supernature more generally) is a delusion in that it is not a true representation of reality and requires a suspension of logic substituted for faith in order to be believed.

Are we born predisposed to some form of logical thinking, that's being suspended here?

If forming a true representation of reality, requires holding a particular epistemological framework, would this mean that if you don't subscribe to that particular epistemological framework then you're delusional?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-11-2015, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 03-11-2015 04:15 PM by Adrianime.)
(03-11-2015 03:38 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Religious beliefs meet the definition of a delusion.
Its that simple.

A gullible person rarely realizes that they are gullible.
I don't think religiosity implies gullibility. Most believers were indoctrinated which is more of a mental stranglehold than having "fell for it".

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
03-11-2015, 04:12 PM
That people are trapped into religion while they are young and their minds not fully developed, would seem to me that they were conned at a vulnerable point in their lives. I don't know if it is fair to call these poor people delusional. Cheated may be a better description of the individual.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
03-11-2015, 05:26 PM
Is religion a delusion?
(03-11-2015 03:41 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 03:14 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  The religious are delusional with respect to reality, but they believe they are not because of consistency within their religious belief system.

A consistency with their epistemological framework. What you refer to as delusions here, are beliefs that corresponds to competing epistemological frameworks besides your own.

Quote:Religion (or a belief in a god or supernature more generally) is a delusion in that it is not a true representation of reality and requires a suspension of logic substituted for faith in order to be believed.

Are we born predisposed to some form of logical thinking, that's being suspended here?

If forming a true representation of reality, requires holding a particular epistemological framework, would this mean that if you don't subscribe to that particular epistemological framework then you're delusional?

If your beliefs are inconsistent with reality (objective observations about reality) then you're delusional. And that holds true for religious people, like you and the deluded multitudes.

-Rick
03-11-2015, 06:16 PM
(03-11-2015 11:41 AM)Gaest Wrote:  I have often heard the concept "delusion" being used to describe religion or religious ideas and beliefs, but what is the reasoning behind describing religion and religious people as delusional, and are there any relevant researchers since Freud and his contemporaries who advocate this?

Cheers

It is belief without evidence, often accompanied by hallucination.

What would you call it? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
03-11-2015, 06:24 PM
(03-11-2015 06:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  It is belief without evidence, often accompanied by hallucination.

Delusion.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
03-11-2015, 06:25 PM
(03-11-2015 06:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-11-2015 11:41 AM)Gaest Wrote:  I have often heard the concept "delusion" being used to describe religion or religious ideas and beliefs, but what is the reasoning behind describing religion and religious people as delusional, and are there any relevant researchers since Freud and his contemporaries who advocate this?

Cheers

It is belief without evidence, often accompanied by hallucination.

Saturday night?

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post