Is religion a delusion?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2015, 10:22 AM
RE: Is religion a delusion?
(04-11-2015 10:12 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 09:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  And I'm looking to see you expand on that claim.
WTF are you talking about? Expand on the claim that objective reality exists? Are you fucking stupid?

That's exactly what crossed my mind when I read that.Laughat

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
04-11-2015, 10:26 AM
(04-11-2015 10:22 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 10:12 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  WTF are you talking about? Expand on the claim that objective reality exists? Are you fucking stupid?

That's exactly what crossed my mind when I read that.Laughat

I mean for fuck's sake. I am beginning to wonder if it has a brain. Facepalm

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
04-11-2015, 11:39 AM
(04-11-2015 10:12 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  WTF are you talking about? Expand on the claim that objective reality exists? Are you fucking stupid?

Uhm, no you fat son of a bitch, I was asking you to expand on your take on delusions.

Quote:Religious beliefs propose supernature, the supernatural, and the existence of nonexistent sentient beings outside of space/time that use magic.

Mistaken isn't the same as delusional. Mistaken is a correctable position. Delusional is not. Religious people aren't merely mistaken, they are delusional.

But according to your reasoning here, you can technically hold religious beliefs, and just be mistaken, as opposed to delusional. But we can infer that those beliefs are delusional, by their resistance to certain corrective methods.

Mistaken beliefs are pliable to corrective methods, delusional one's put up considerable resistance to them. If you find someone holding a wrong belief religious or otherwise, but when trying to correct them, if they are resistant to it, we can conclude that they're are delusional. Isn't that how it goes?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Is religion a delusion?
(04-11-2015 11:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Uhm, no you fat son of a bitch, I was asking you to expand on your take on delusions.

Quote:Religious beliefs propose supernature, the supernatural, and the existence of nonexistent sentient beings outside of space/time that use magic.

Mistaken isn't the same as delusional. Mistaken is a correctable position. Delusional is not. Religious people aren't merely mistaken, they are delusional.

But according to your reasoning here, you can technically hold religious beliefs, and just be mistaken, as opposed to delusional. But we can infer that those beliefs are delusional, by their resistance to certain corrective methods.

Mistaken beliefs are pliable to corrective methods, delusional one's put up considerable resistance to them. If you find someone holding a wrong belief religious or otherwise, but when trying to correct them, if they are resistant to it, we can conclude that they're are delusional. Isn't that how it goes?

My my, you are a nasty douchebag and an idiot to boot.

For instance: "But according to your reasoning here, you can technically hold religious beliefs, and just be mistaken, as opposed to delusional."

No, you don't understand the words I've written down. Find a translator.

"If you find someone holding a wrong belief religious or otherwise, but when trying to correct them, if they are resistant to it, we can conclude that they're are delusional. Isn't that how it goes?"

The irony of you writing this is too much. You're so deluded, you can't see fucking anything being pointed out to you. Your religious brainwashing has left you without a single functioning brain cell.

-Rick
04-11-2015, 12:09 PM
(04-11-2015 12:02 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  My my, you are a nasty douchebag and an idiot to boot.

I just follow your lead. If you want to take it down a nasty ad hominem route, then hey two can play that game. I don't prefer that, but if you want to push it in that route, I'm just gonna go along with you. But if you can dish it, don't whine about having to take it.

Quote:For instance: "But according to your reasoning here, you can technically hold religious beliefs, and just be mistaken, as opposed to delusional."

"If you find someone holding a wrong belief religious or otherwise, but when trying to correct them, if they are resistant to it, we can conclude that they're are delusional. Isn't that how it goes?"

The irony of you writing this is too much. You're so deluded, you can't see fucking anything being pointed out to you. Your religious brainwashing has left you without a single functioning brain cell.

That seems to be your basic distinction between mistaken and delusional beliefs, that this distinction revolves around their resistance to being corrected.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Is religion a delusion?
(04-11-2015 12:09 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 12:02 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  My my, you are a nasty douchebag and an idiot to boot.

I just follow your lead. If you want to take it down a nasty ad hominem route, then hey two can play that game. I don't prefer that, but if you want to push it in that route, I'm just gonna go along with you. But if you can dish it, don't whine about having to take it.

Quote:For instance: "But according to your reasoning here, you can technically hold religious beliefs, and just be mistaken, as opposed to delusional."

That seems to be your basic distinction between mistaken and delusional beliefs, that this distinction revolves around their resistance to being corrected.

You don't know what an ad hom is, how surprising Dodgy

And you still don't get the irony of your inability to absorb information that contradicts your delusions.

-Rick
04-11-2015, 12:23 PM
(04-11-2015 12:18 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And you still don't get the irony of your inability to absorb information that contradicts your delusions.

I'm just trying to understand your take on what distinguishes a belief a person might hold that's mistaken, from a belief he might hold that's a delusion. You don't seem to want to claim that it's a matter of a resistance to being corrected, and therefore the distinction you're trying to paint is not that clear.

04-11-2015, 12:24 PM
Is religion a delusion?
(04-11-2015 12:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 12:18 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And you still don't get the irony of your inability to absorb information that contradicts your delusions.

I'm just trying to understand your take on what distinguishes a belief a person might hold that's mistaken, from a belief he might hold that's a delusion. You don't seem to want to claim that it's a matter of a resistance to being corrected, and therefore the distinction you're trying to paint is not that clear.

Do you read my posts?

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
04-11-2015, 12:30 PM
(04-11-2015 12:24 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 12:23 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm just trying to understand your take on what distinguishes a belief a person might hold that's mistaken, from a belief he might hold that's a delusion. You don't seem to want to claim that it's a matter of a resistance to being corrected, and therefore the distinction you're trying to paint is not that clear.

Do you read my posts?

Yes you stated: "Mistaken is a correctable position. Delusional is not."

Now, if person holds a wrong belief, and we want to gauge whether or not he's just mistaken, or whether he's delusional, the means of inferring this, is by gauging how receptive he is to being corrected. If he shows an unwillingness, a strong resistance to being corrected, we can conclude he's delusional, but if he seems receptive to be being corrected, we can conclude that he was just mistaken.

I'm not sure why you seem to disagree with this, given your previous claim.

04-11-2015, 12:33 PM
Is religion a delusion?
(04-11-2015 12:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-11-2015 12:24 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Do you read my posts?

Yes you stated: "Mistaken is a correctable position. Delusional is not."

Now, if person holds a wrong belief, and we want to gauge whether or not he's just mistaken, or whether he's delusional, the means of inferring this, is by gauging how receptive he is to being corrected. If he shows an unwillingness, a strong resistance to being corrected, we can conclude he's delusional, but if he seems receptive to be being corrected, we can conclude that he was just mistaken.

I'm not sure why you seem to disagree with this, given your previous claim.

I'm not sure what you think you're saying or why you feel the need to say it.

-Rick
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post