Is religion part of evolution?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2013, 01:56 PM
RE: Is religion part of evolution?
(06-10-2013 08:51 AM)I and I Wrote:  At one point when our brains were developing our brains formed the ideas that one would call the mind. This "mind" went on to question events and things around them. The questioning and answers provided by early humans were not separated into concepts like religion, science, philosophy in early human history. Is religion a part of the development of the brain/mind?

Depends on how you are defining "evolution".

1. the process by which different kinds of living organism are believed to have developed from earlier forms during the history of the earth.
or
2. the gradual development of something:
the forms of written languages undergo constant evolution

You have also asked 2 different questions:

1. Is religion part of evolution?
2. Is religion a part of the development of the brain/mind?

You are going to have to clarify what you are asking us and define your terms.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Heathen's post
26-10-2013, 02:17 PM
(26-10-2013 01:56 PM)Heathen Wrote:  You are going to have to clarify what you are asking us and define your terms.

Oh, you know he isn't going to do us that favor.

[Image: giphy.gif]
26-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Oh, I know. I'm just curious and couldn't help myself. Wink

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
26-10-2013, 02:27 PM
(26-10-2013 02:17 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(26-10-2013 01:56 PM)Heathen Wrote:  You are going to have to clarify what you are asking us and define your terms.

Oh, you know he isn't going to do us that favor.

Because the real question is neither of those. He has an agenda and the question is an attempt at entrapment.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
26-10-2013, 03:07 PM
You're quite right of course, but I'm still curious.

27-10-2013, 06:43 AM
(26-10-2013 01:43 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 06:04 PM)I and I Wrote:  Religions make wrong conclusions about observances of hard evidence. Religion was actually the first form of science, in fact most cultures until relatively recently did not separate religion from science, the advances in astronomy are a good example of that.

"Religion was the first form of science..."
That, sirrah, is nearly unadulterated horse shit. Religion is the near-polar opposite of science, even primitive science was opposed to and by religion; the only commonality is the connection to philosophy and the attempt at explanation of the world around, and even that is a tenuous set of connections as philosophy was manipulated into support of organised religions and challenging thought was typically suppressed, whereas many argue that modern scientific methods arose from philosophy, and in regard to the 'explanations' connection, religions dogmatically defended their 'explanations' and suppressed alternate explanations whenever it could, science however merely tested claims to the best of then-modern capacity to check for truths (needless to say, the more thoughtful scientists often got it 'wrong' by church standards and modern standards, but for vastly different reasons).

If I remember correctly from Michael Shermer's "The Believing Brain", and Karren Armstrong's "A History of God", it is hypothesised that religion developed as a social control mechanism; when tribes became large enough for communal shunning and similar behaviours to no longer work effectively, it is likely that hyper-primitive animist religions adapted into theisms with vengeful deities ready to hand down punishment on criminal and anti-social, 'bad' members and pointed to unexplainable things like the Sun and Moon, the wind and the water, lightning etc etc... as controlled by said deities, or the deities themselves (it is even postulated that organised governments also arose in areas for the same purpose around the same time).

(06-10-2013 06:04 PM)I and I Wrote:  Knowledge and historical memory of knowledge make up what someone in present day will choose to believe whether it's religion or science. Christians today choose not to believe in zeus like people today choose to not believe in some of the early sciences.

If religion was part of evolution was it a necessary part?

It is not entirely true that people will decide on what do believe based on 'knowledge and historical memory of knowledge'; most religious believers are indoctrinated and never really had a choice and were just pre-disposed to accepting religion as fact by their adult peers, as for those who went to religion from non-religion, I can only offer my personal hypothesis that they were themselves pre-disposed due to highly (overly?) active limbic systems and possibly a short in the pre-frontal cortex... That is to say; it's most likely not a considered belief for the religious until after the fact (wherein reasons are found to support the belief and the non-conforming facts are rejected or manipulated to fit as part of unconscious biases). Fortunately science isn't typically open to emotional draws and is a little more reasoned when it comes to acceptance.

As for the Christians not believing in Zeus: the difference I feel, is the distinct lack of indoctrination; people are taught that it's an ancient mythology and not taught to employ the scepticism of the Zeus claim to their religion; cause we all know there is so much difference between Hellenic Myth and Judeo-Christi-Islama Scripture (Yes; I did just make the "Christi-Islama" part up because just abbreviating "Jewish" in that case rubbed me the wrong way..) However, scientists are taught that ancient 'sciences' were wrong, but they are typically taught why and how
they are wrong instead of just going "it's silly and primitive."

As much as I hate to do it...
Religion was not a necessary part of evolution; the only 'necessary' parts of evolution are genetic diversity and selective pressures.
But in regard to the development (evolution, if you prefer) of human society, it was... unappreciably significant. was. Since organised governments had properly formed, it's necessity was halved and since the Enlightenment, it was halved again; it is no longer a necessary factor in my humble opinion.

This thing called history, it's pretty cool.... Like the ancient Egyptians who were doing quite a bit if science however AS I SAID, this science was tied up with their religious stories and beliefs.

Next
27-10-2013, 06:55 AM
(26-10-2013 01:56 PM)Heathen Wrote:  
(06-10-2013 08:51 AM)I and I Wrote:  At one point when our brains were developing our brains formed the ideas that one would call the mind. This "mind" went on to question events and things around them. The questioning and answers provided by early humans were not separated into concepts like religion, science, philosophy in early human history. Is religion a part of the development of the brain/mind?

Depends on how you are defining "evolution".

1. the process by which different kinds of living organism are believed to have developed from earlier forms during the history of the earth.
or
2. the gradual development of something:
the forms of written languages undergo constant evolution

You have also asked 2 different questions:

1. Is religion part of evolution?
2. Is religion a part of the development of the brain/mind?

You are going to have to clarify what you are asking us and define your terms.

Hey let's deconstruct everything ever said by every human by demanding them to define every word they use and demand of them to explain What those words mean to that particular person......before any issue is discussed. Let's see how far this goes.

Define what you mean by "terms". "Clarify". "Gradual". "Development" "brain/mind"

Oh wait, it's wrong when I do that right?
27-10-2013, 07:10 AM
THIS is your response?

You asked an ambiguous question. You seriously cannot see that? Really?

27-10-2013, 07:45 AM
He asked both questions.

Topic: Is religion part of evolution?
It would be ridiculous to assume that religion might be a part of evolution. In evolution, genes from a species' gene pool are selected. Religious members don't develop new genes, do they?

Text: Is religion a part of the development of the brain/mind?
Obviously, no. Religion is a (by)product of the developing brain/mind.

How can you guys pay so much attention to an undeserving question?

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
27-10-2013, 08:28 AM
I agree with you.

I should have known better than to get near the I&I vortex. I'll go back to ignoring him.