Is religion the cause of most wars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2015, 01:41 PM
Is religion the cause of most wars
I have done a quick Google but I haven't researched it enough yet. Just wondering how many wars and which ones were/are caused by religion weather the primary or secondary reasons? If anyone has a good link or anything else it would be appreciated. I'm going to continue to see what I can find
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post
17-06-2015, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 17-06-2015 02:01 PM by Szuchow.)
RE: Is religion the cause of most wars
Here is something from University of Bradford done for BBC - http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/wo..._audit.pdf

I would say that religion serve more like a justification than cause.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
17-06-2015, 01:59 PM
This is not an expert opinion, but:

Most wars are fought over finite resources. Land. Water. Etc.

I think religion is a tool in most wars in history, but not the cause of them. I said most.

"Hey, let's take that land over there."
Well, Gee, other people seem to be living there already. That would be wrong.
"But God told us to! It came to me in a vision!"
Where do I enlist?

Religion is proof that invisible men can obscure your vision.
Visit my blog
Follow me on Twitter @TwoCultSurvivor
[+] 6 users Like TwoCultSurvivor's post
17-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Religion is a convenient rallying point, but like war itself, more a culturally evolved symptom of civilization than the cause of its problems.

'Murican Canadian
17-06-2015, 03:23 PM
Thank you
09-12-2015, 03:45 PM
Religion is a social irritant, restraining Mankind's maturity to that of an angry child, and WAR is Always the end result. When war appears, be sure that some religion is lurking in the background egging on the 'faithful' to kill in god's name for whatever moronic reason they are trying to justify.

MY Patron Saint? Elmer Fudd of course. He has a spear and Magic Helmet.Thumbsup
09-12-2015, 04:25 PM
Most wars are over Land or Resorses. Religion is more used as a justification for the actions.

A eagle flies over head that means the gods are on our side.

These people have taken the Holy Lands from the rightful owners. We owe it to god to get it back.

Look we found new land. They'res people already here? And their godless barbarians. Well if we kill them then we'll be forgiven.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
10-12-2015, 09:35 AM
I don't believe that the majority of wars are fought over religion, however, seeing how religion is the MOST divisive issue ever, it find it hard to believe that no conflicts have been fought over religion. So thinking about it, there was the thirty years war...

From wikipedia:
"The war began when the Holy Roman Empire tried to impose religious uniformity on its domains. The northern Protestant states, angered by the violation of their rights, banded together to form the League of Evangelical Union. The Empire soon crushed this perceived rebellion. But reactions around the Protestant world condemned the Emperor's action. Sweden soon intervened in 1630 and began the full scale Great war on the continent. Spain, wishing to crush the Dutch rebels, intervened under the pretext of helping their dynastical ally, Austria. No longer able to tolerate the encirclement of two major Habsburg powers on its border, Catholic France entered the coalition on the side of the Protestants to counter the Habsburgs."

The crusades also come to mind, the first one for sure was motivated by religion with the clear goal of capturing Jerusalem that was in muslim hands.

The Albigensian Crusade against the heretical Cathars in southern France was also motivated by religion, although it has also been argued that another motivation was for northern France to expand it's power into southern France.

Anyway, these are just a few examples that come to mind. The issue of religion in wars is really complex, but often religion does seem to be interwoven into at least some wars and is at least an enabler of war.
10-12-2015, 09:40 AM
Nope, it's just the excuse people use to justify killing someone. Mostly war is about resources.

In some cases the violent spread of religion and resistance to it are directly responsible for war, but even today I think it's a LOT harder to recruit radicals from a population that's well-fed, educated, and has decent prospects for the future. Most people would rather pick up a fork than a gun.
10-12-2015, 09:43 AM
(17-06-2015 01:59 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  This is not an expert opinion, but:

Most wars are fought over finite resources. Land. Water. Etc.

I think religion is a tool in most wars in history, but not the cause of them. I said most.

"Hey, let's take that land over there."
Well, Gee, other people seem to be living there already. That would be wrong.
"But God told us to! It came to me in a vision!"
Where do I enlist?

NO, that is the evolutionary reality, other species of life compete for resources. But humans are the only ones to concoct deities and holy books to justify being the alpha male.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user