Is religion the cause of most wars

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2015, 11:08 AM
RE: Is religion the cause of most wars
Religion is the most intense internal emotional and mental battlefield for anyone who might question their religion. The psychological internal warfare this causes should be added to outside physical wars. Religious guilt is a killer too.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
10-12-2015, 12:58 PM
Is religion the cause of most wars
I don't think religion is the sole cause for most (if any) wars, but it's a hell of a tool. My analogy :
It's like a road trip. You want to go from Point A to Point B. Religion is the road map used to get you there.
10-12-2015, 04:28 PM
(17-06-2015 01:53 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  I would say that religion serve more like a justification than cause.

(17-06-2015 01:59 PM)TwoCultSurvivor Wrote:  Most wars are fought over finite resources. Land. Water. Etc.

I think religion is a tool in most wars in history, but not the cause of them. I said most.

Agree with these two comments.

Wars are about power, control and gathering resources generally for those at the top of the food chain. For those at the bottom, religion is used (amongst other things) as propaganda to get the cannon fodder to put their lives on the line to achieve the goals of their leaders.

Sometimes, in the case of civil wars it is about survival and liberties that people war over. When the poor become too numerous and too desperate, or too oppressed.
10-12-2015, 04:52 PM
Man, you guys are on a roll. Just a few posts in and I already have nothing to add that someone else hasn't already said. Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
10-12-2015, 07:21 PM
(17-06-2015 01:41 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I have done a quick Google but I haven't researched it enough yet. Just wondering how many wars and which ones were/are caused by religion weather the primary or secondary reasons? If anyone has a good link or anything else it would be appreciated. I'm going to continue to see what I can find

I do not think so. Most wars have been fought over land, booty and power. Take a look at pre Christian Rome. The 3 Punic wars were fought for supremacy over trade and control. The third war was real clincher in that it was totally designed by Rome to wipe out Carthage.

Or before that with Alexander. That war was about revenge and then about land grabs for empire.

Rome's civil wars were fought about power. First Caesar, then Octavian etc down the line.

The fall of Byzantium was again about the above reasons.

The crusades were about control of land and booty with religion used as a justification.

The first world war was mainly started due to political grievances and the escalation of weapons. Particularly battleships.

WWII was about land, power, revenge, while also being a culture war. Religion was again used as a justification. At least on the German and Italian side. The Japanese had similar reasons but no real religious agenda.

The Mongol invasions was all about land and booty and control.

The war of the roses was again about power etc etc etc.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
10-12-2015, 07:25 PM
As humanity was evolving they first started to form governments which were based on God(s). as government evolved it has now come to be semi separate from religion at least in some parts of the globe. But since there is not really any difference between religion and government of course all wars are religion based.
10-12-2015, 11:41 PM
There isn't a single cause of anything that happens currently, including something as complex as war.