Is religious brainwashing and hypnotism the same thing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2014, 02:24 PM
Is religious brainwashing and hypnotism the same thing?
When I was in high school I was hypnotized by an hypnotist (duh) which turned out to be quite a relaxing and pleasant experience though it wore off after an hour or so. There seems to be a fine line between preachers and hypnotists, sometimes I think preachers went to hypnotism school instead of theology school. How much of religion is hypnotism, brainwashing and the power of suggestion? What's the difference between brainwashing and hypnotics.

Have any of you former theists been hypnotised? If so how did it compare to being in church listening to a charismatic preacher? Just wondering 'cause I've only been to church twice in my life and both times I almost fell asleep. The pastor just droned on and on.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2014, 02:30 PM
RE: Is religious brainwashing and hypnotism the same thing?
It depends if the hypnotizer uses calm relaxing voice, or stuff that adds to the effect. My brain usually feel relaxed and gets chills from that, the same thing that i imagine when i therapist talks when on a therapist couch.

The difference is its just a trick. The key is to break the lie in dogma, because its based on group preassure to be a follower of something that is backwards, but with hypnotizing its just some mumbo jumbo that people just think, ah cool. Aslong as its not aiming to scam people to be big etc. Then i see it as harmless.
[+] 1 user Likes ZeroX3's post
16-09-2014, 02:36 PM
A lot of hypnotic suggestion seems to rely on how susceptible a person is. Brainwashing seems to employ quite a bit of hypnotic suggestion but is also aggressively manipulative and deliberate. I have no doubt that post hypnotic suggestion is an ongoing thing in religious circles and certainly brainwashing... they may not use those terms but that's what it is. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
16-09-2014, 02:40 PM
I believe religion is certainly brainwashing. I think it was designed to control large populations through guilt, fear and, repetition. The threat of physical torture and death for not conforming is also a strong persuader.

I'm curious about when you say you were hypnotized. Could you elaborate?
16-09-2014, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2014 02:58 PM by bemore.)
I pass my diploma to be a hypnotherapist next month, so here is my take on the whole thing.

You go into different states all of the time, an analogy of "trance" could be when you are watching a film. You know that it isn't real, that it is played by actors, wrote by scriptwriters yet your autonomous nervous system/homeostasis makes you get "caught in the moment" of action, danger, romance etc etc. In that moment of time you are enthralled, fully immersed.

You believe it.

Who is more susceptible varies on your personality type, which in turn has an effect of which suggestions (direct vs indirect) may be applicable.

There are a lot of misconceptions around hypnosis, there is no real "secret" nor is there any real "power of mind control". If you want to look more deeply into the subject then I recommend googling the following....

Passive hypnosis.
Conversational hypnosis. (Lots of world leaders utilise this)
Neuro Linguistic Programming.
Clean Language in hypnosis.

... to get a better understanding of the comparison you made.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 3 users Like bemore's post
16-09-2014, 03:32 PM
(16-09-2014 02:55 PM)bemore Wrote:  I pass my diploma to be a hypnotherapist next month, so here is my take on the whole thing.

You go into different states all of the time, an analogy of "trance" could be when you are watching a film. You know that it isn't real, that it is played by actors, wrote by scriptwriters yet your autonomous nervous system/homeostasis makes you get "caught in the moment" of action, danger, romance etc etc. In that moment of time you are enthralled, fully immersed.

You believe it.

Who is more susceptible varies on your personality type, which in turn has an effect of which suggestions (direct vs indirect) may be applicable.

There are a lot of misconceptions around hypnosis, there is no real "secret" nor is there any real "power of mind control". If you want to look more deeply into the subject then I recommend googling the following....

Passive hypnosis.
Conversational hypnosis. (Lots of world leaders utilise this)
Neuro Linguistic Programming.
Clean Language in hypnosis.

... to get a better understanding of the comparison you made.

So would you say that a person sitting in a pew listening to a very charismatic preacher is being hypnotised? I see videos of people "enthralled" as you say listening to preachers. It looks like they're in a religious trance instead of a secular trance that maybe a hypnotherapist would do.

[Image: Fe.jpeg]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
16-09-2014, 04:15 PM
I will say more psychological group pressure than brainwashing, but i'm sure it has a part in its role aswell

16-09-2014, 04:23 PM
(16-09-2014 02:24 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  When I was in high school I was hypnotized by an hypnotist (duh) which turned out to be quite a relaxing and pleasant experience though it wore off after an hour or so. There seems to be a fine line between preachers and hypnotists, sometimes I think preachers went to hypnotism school instead of theology school. How much of religion is hypnotism, brainwashing and the power of suggestion? What's the difference between brainwashing and hypnotics.

Have any of you former theists been hypnotised? If so how did it compare to being in church listening to a charismatic preacher? Just wondering 'cause I've only been to church twice in my life and both times I almost fell asleep. The pastor just droned on and on.

I don't think any of the former theists here experienced brainwashing. Brainwashing's just a method of controlled yet systematic indoctrination, based on repetition or confusion. So when ya say brainwashing I think those POW camps from Red Dawn. The key is force. Chemical, psychological and physical shock to change a basic moral belief. If you go to a church of your own will, you're not really being brainwashed, are you? You want to be educated about your Salvation etc. The charisma is just an added salesmanship bonus. Sorry if this isn't what you meant to ask.
16-09-2014, 05:15 PM
I like to imagine the 'nothingness' these people are praising is looking back (contradictory I know) sayings, "Who the fuck are you talking too? You're creeping me out!"
[+] 1 user Likes Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
16-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Not quite.

Hypnotism does not actually work, even with drugs. It is a placebo effect. Whereas Indoctrination takes hold of a child's or in some cases an adults extreme naivete, or takes advantage of them in a weak or frightened or depressed state while their minds are weak against influence and convinces them of stories and facts that the normal mind could easily determine to be false.

Such as unicorns being real for example.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ