Is religious brainwashing and hypnotism the same thing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2014, 06:58 PM
RE: Is religious brainwashing and hypnotism the same thing?
I think hypnotism is a load of shit (sorry bemore).
But that's because I've never been hypnotized to be proven wrong.
Just seems very very woe woe to me. Sorta like "magic tricks", they have a lot of sound principles behind them, slight of hand, deception and such, and they do look very real but at the end of the day they have a logical explanation and are 'fake'.

Regarding religion, I'd say that people become religious for three main different reasons. 1) Indoctrination and 2) Having questions (meaning of life, what happens when I die etc..) and finding religion because it "answers" those questions with the nice added bonus of eternal happiness. 3) Wanting to fit in.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
16-09-2014, 10:40 PM
RE: Is religious brainwashing and hypnotism the same thing?
(16-09-2014 03:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So would you say that a person sitting in a pew listening to a very charismatic preacher is being hypnotised? I see videos of people "enthralled" as you say listening to preachers. It looks like they're in a religious trance instead of a secular trance that maybe a hypnotherapist would do.

You could say it was similar, yes. It isn't just related to religion though, like I said previously you can go into a "trance" (such a loaded word) over many numerous things many times a day.

(16-09-2014 05:28 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Hypnotism does not actually work, even with drugs. It is a placebo effect.

Got any links with regards to using hypnotism with drugs, because that is a new one to me as generally hypnotism works best when the client is sober and can put in their full concentration.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply