Is religious brainwashing and hypnotism the same thing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2014, 06:58 PM
RE: Is religious brainwashing and hypnotism the same thing?
I think hypnotism is a load of shit (sorry bemore).
But that's because I've never been hypnotized to be proven wrong.
Just seems very very woe woe to me. Sorta like "magic tricks", they have a lot of sound principles behind them, slight of hand, deception and such, and they do look very real but at the end of the day they have a logical explanation and are 'fake'.

Regarding religion, I'd say that people become religious for three main different reasons. 1) Indoctrination and 2) Having questions (meaning of life, what happens when I die etc..) and finding religion because it "answers" those questions with the nice added bonus of eternal happiness. 3) Wanting to fit in.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
16-09-2014, 10:40 PM
RE: Is religious brainwashing and hypnotism the same thing?
(16-09-2014 03:32 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  So would you say that a person sitting in a pew listening to a very charismatic preacher is being hypnotised? I see videos of people "enthralled" as you say listening to preachers. It looks like they're in a religious trance instead of a secular trance that maybe a hypnotherapist would do.

You could say it was similar, yes. It isn't just related to religion though, like I said previously you can go into a "trance" (such a loaded word) over many numerous things many times a day.

(16-09-2014 05:28 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Hypnotism does not actually work, even with drugs. It is a placebo effect.

Got any links with regards to using hypnotism with drugs, because that is a new one to me as generally hypnotism works best when the client is sober and can put in their full concentration.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply