Is science being hijacked?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2012, 10:54 PM
RE: Is science being hijacked?
Hey, WAO.

I agree. There is every threat that people can (and do) invoke science (rather than tested scientific knowledge) as a support for authority. "Believe me, it's scientific." People trust science, with good reason, and so it's easy to do. Lord knows I don't independently verify everything Stephen Hawking says, but, y'know, that's because only like six people in the world can. I just trust that he's not lying to us. "Suck on lies. Fucking jerks, with your walking."

To be perfectly honest, as an Agnostic, this is one of my greatest nightmares. The core of my belief is that we shouldn't accept as fact anything that has not been demonstrated. The God question has not been demonstrated. Now, of course, I'm not saying, "Therefore it's true," so don't get any big ideas. I'm just saying, "We do not actually know." In the months leading up to me coming to this site, I heard a lot of very prominent Atheists in the punditsphere making claims about how God is scientifically unlikely... Basically, invoking science to support the position that God does not exist without having any actual science to back it up. I find that extremely dangerous and particularly offensive. Put the politics aside for a moment, forget that you think God doesn't exist, and just think that people are invoking science to support their argument about something that has not been proven scientifically. That undermines science. That's some bullshit right there.

I do fear people invoking science when they have no good right to do so. I do fear people invoking science as a means of control when there is no science to invoke. It disturbs me greatly. Because once that begins, science loses all meaning. I like science too much to let that happen.

Science is science. But science generates knowledge. It is a form of discourse. People trust scientific conclusions because they trust science and scientists. If people stop trusting scientific conclusions because people are talking out of their ass (be they scientists, pseudo-scientists, or absolute cranks), then regardless of the fact that science will always be science, science loses it meaning. You can run all the tests you want, but if I don't trust science itself, then your conclusions will fall on deaf ears. So absolutely, I think that this sort of abuse is a direct and devastating threat to science.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Ghost's post
01-12-2012, 11:34 PM
(01-12-2012 07:16 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(01-12-2012 05:42 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Leave the science to the scientists, dude. Tongue
And leave esoterics to the esoterrorists........... Shocking Consider Unsure
Who the fuck is talking to you, Toby Tantrum. It ain't January. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2012, 02:28 AM
I guess that humans in general don't like to question things in their every day like. Therefore an absolute truth is rather convenient. That's why religion was/is so effective.

Meanwhile, science has occupied that status in society. Unfortunately, it is very dificult to explain that science is a continuous 'work in progress' and that there are no absolute truths. And this is a powerful argument to the general public: 'they can't be sure of anyting, so why believe in them'. To face this threat, science and scientists can either try to increase the public awereness of what science is really about, or impose a scientific authority just like an absolute truth.

As for me, I really think that the answer is to put a great effort on the science communication.

02-12-2012, 03:42 AM
(01-12-2012 05:42 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Leave the science to the scientists, dude. Tongue
Lol. Looks like I really hurt your feelings with that one. I apologize. Big Grin
So.... does that mean I can comment on (pseudo-)science in 2 years when I have my masters? Smartass Will I have your licence to talk about science then? Also the thread isn't in particular about a certain field of scientific study, but contains a question about science in general.
That's why your statement was illogical (probably because you're not a scientist, dude). Drinking Beverage

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one."
- Albert Einstein

"Nothing cannot exist forever."
- Stephen Hawking

"Hmmm, Bacon..."
- Homer Simpson
02-12-2012, 06:45 AM
(02-12-2012 03:42 AM)WeAreOne Wrote:  
Lol. Looks like I really hurt your feelings with that one. I apologize. Big Grin
So.... does that mean I can comment on (pseudo-)science in 2 years when I have my masters? Smartass Will I have your licence to talk about science then? Also the thread isn't in particular about a certain field of scientific study, but contains a question about science in general.
That's why your statement was illogical (probably because you're not a scientist, dude). Drinking Beverage
Nope. PhD or kick rocks. And then, you can only pontificate on yer chosen field. Big Grin

You can't hurt my feeling - only got one - which gets inflamed when peeps talk smack about my Gwynnies (in which case I go around killing puppies, and it's all your fault!)

02-12-2012, 06:49 AM
So you go around killing puppies because somebody insulted a dog within earshot of you?

That doesn't seem like a very good activity.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
02-12-2012, 06:57 AM
I can't hear you! I got fingers in my ears and you got dick in your mouth.

02-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Problem, Mr. Cantor?

I was unaware that anything foreign aside from my Salada biscuit was in my mouth..

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
02-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Is that what they're calling it these days?

02-12-2012, 07:07 AM
[Image: 46A723ABE7B801A902000000AC193D36.JPG]

I was unaware the brand of biscuit was formed from a predecessor brand... huh.