Is science being hijacked?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Is science being hijacked?
Hello.
As someone who does not live in the USA it came as a bit of a shock when I discovered the Intelligent Design movement which seems to become more and more established in North America. Of course pseudoscience isn't a new phenomenon, but it appears to gain a lot of popularity recently.
Some people deny evolution, the big bang or the fossil record and make up their own pseudoscientific explanations. Others make ridiculous claims such as "Quantum theory proves that Homeopathy works". To me it looks like pseudoscience is becoming more and more widespread.
The reason for this seems obvious: Science has become a major authority in our everyday life. Even the most uneducated person can hardly deny that science works and that it makes valid observations and predictions on the world around us. Without science the entirety of modern technology and lifestandards wouldn't be possible. Without science you wouldn't be reading this as you would have neither a computer nor an internet connection (let alone electricity for powering your computer).
In the ancient days when someone wanted to exert influence on gullible people he or she would have claimed to possess magic powers or perhaps a special connection to the gods. This person might have acted as a priest or shaman or wizard etc. etc.
In our modern times however most people do not believe in magic anymore and religions have lost their monopoly on explaining the universe. That's why nowadays you often hear: "I don't believe in god. I believe in science!" This might sound reasonable, BUT the average person usually doesn't understand what science is. That's because the average person is more interested in how he/she can personally benefit from science than finding out what science actually is. To some people it might as well be magic. Bowing
That's why nowadays many charlatans try to hijack the authority of science (instead of religion or magic) by using pseudoscience to further their goals - whether they be ideological or financial.
So my question is:
Do you think that the abuse of the authority of science can eventually pose a thread for science itself - namely that it would be replaced by cargo cult pseudoscience OR do you think that science, being a self regulating entity, cannot be harmed by such practices?

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a persistent one."
- Albert Einstein

"Nothing cannot exist forever."
- Stephen Hawking

"Hmmm, Bacon..."
- Homer Simpson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2012, 05:42 PM
RE: Is science being hijacked?
Leave the science to the scientists, dude. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
01-12-2012, 05:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-12-2012 04:34 AM by Free Thought.)
First, I would like to say that ID, to my knowledge has been dropped after it was proven to be only a mask for creationism, the teaching of which is against the US constitution due to religious basing and thus cannot interfere with the State a la education (See Kitzmiller Vs Dover.)

Frankly, I think the various Science Denialism movements will die out shortly (within the next 20 to 30 years, if not sooner). As nonbelievers rapidly ascend in numbers and to a become a potential major power politically (if we could actually organize) the religious (science denialism)'s numbers are dropping like proverbial flies. Science is under no threat, and even in barbaric countries such as the majority of the M.E. science is gaining ground and influence rapidly; religion has never, and will never truly pose a danger to science.

Besides, even if the US goes down in smoke Asian, European and Australasian nations and their scientists will simply pick up the scraps and move on, the US is no longer the scientific Juggernaut it once was.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
01-12-2012, 06:09 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2012 06:22 PM by Janus.)
Of course.
Just as the RC church did for 16 centuries. Just as the commies did for 70 years. Just as the Nazis did for 12 years. Just as the Kims did for 60 years. Just as the Khmer Rouge did for 3 years. Just as the Islamists did for 13 centuries. Just as any god-king, or dictator in history did. Etc. etc. etc.
It's S.O.P. for cults/totalitarianism.

And all they all produced was chaos, death, and misery on an epic scale.
And all of them obstructed and delayed human progress.
[+] 1 user Likes Janus's post
01-12-2012, 06:49 PM
I've recently begun reading every new issue of Scientific American, and it seems that even the world's scientists share your concerns. American scientists have more or less closed themselves off from outside partners. Meaning, scientists in America tend to work with one another more than they do with organizations from other countries. And being that this country is highly superstitious/religious, I find this rather disturbing.

I fear that this country could very-well become a scientific wasteland at some point in the future. It'll go rogue and turn itself into an intellectual leper colony. The rest of the world will carry on with their work, but America will just become like the trashy, delapidated part of town parents tell their kids not to drive through.

On a semi-unrelated note, I'm looking for property somewhere in the UK. I wanna get off this boat before it takes on too much water. lol

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
(01-12-2012 05:16 PM)WeAreOne Wrote:  Do you think that the abuse of the authority of science can eventually pose a thread for science itself - namely that it would be replaced by cargo cult pseudoscience OR do you think that science, being a self regulating entity, cannot be harmed by such practices?
Consider

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
01-12-2012, 06:54 PM
Why the UK? Down here is much more fun, Mr. Thropik

If you manage to climatise to the heat and don't go sticking things in holes or under precariously placed objects on the ground.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-12-2012, 07:16 PM
(01-12-2012 05:42 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Leave the science to the scientists, dude. Tongue
And leave esoterics to the esoterrorists........... Shocking Consider Unsure

mini banned but not browned off-----------Cool
[+] 3 users Like Mr Woof's post
01-12-2012, 07:19 PM
(01-12-2012 06:54 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Why the UK? Down here is much more fun, Mr. Thropik

If you manage to climatise to the heat and don't go sticking things in holes or under precariously placed objects on the ground.
Lmao. Sticking things in holes is a favored hobby of mine. Tongue Nothing ruins a good hole-sticking like a Funnel-Web bite.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2012, 08:36 PM
So guys, I was watching National Geographic and... I realized... it has been dominated by monster hunters. Shocking

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post