Is science better or getting better?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2013, 10:52 PM
RE: Is science better or getting better?
(28-05-2013 09:43 PM)fat cat Wrote:  Define "better".

I don't believe that one scientific paradigm is better than another, all one can say is that they are different and non causal(linear).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2013, 11:02 PM
(28-05-2013 10:52 PM)I and I Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 09:43 PM)fat cat Wrote:  Define "better".

I don't believe that one scientific paradigm is better than another, all one can say is that they are different and non causal(linear).

[Image: 1104206-Clipart-Ingredients-Forming-The-...ration.jpg]

...with a bit of change the subject sprinkled on top.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Re: Is science better or getting better?
People have become more aware of observational testing details... A lot of people haven't as well but in scientific modes, I don't know what you would mean by "science getting better"

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-05-2013, 02:02 AM
(28-05-2013 10:52 PM)I and I Wrote:  I don't believe that one scientific paradigm is better than another, all one can say is that they are different and non causal(linear).

Were you, then, just asking for other peoples' opinions since you already had your own answer to the question?
29-05-2013, 04:09 AM
(29-05-2013 02:02 AM)fat cat Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 10:52 PM)I and I Wrote:  I don't believe that one scientific paradigm is better than another, all one can say is that they are different and non causal(linear).

Were you, then, just asking for other peoples' opinions since you already had your own answer to the question?

yep
29-05-2013, 06:22 PM
(28-05-2013 07:35 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Philosopy asks questions that it cant answer. Science searches for the answers.

The whole philosopy v science thing you are doing doesnt fit here. If you really want to do that stick with the philosophy section.

There is not an area that philosophy does not belong in. Can not examine, or indeed should be deemed to be irrelevant to.

I was all in for a philosophy section, but if its being used to dump any philosophical question on any subject into, then that seems quite wrong to me.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
[+] 2 users Like Humakt's post
29-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Can't please everyone.

IandI's "religion of science".

He's just a troll posting this stuff to be inflammatory. He doesn't deserve a well thought out responce. Only scorn and contempt.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
29-05-2013, 07:31 PM
(29-05-2013 06:42 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Can't please everyone.

He's just a troll posting this stuff to be inflammatory. He doesn't deserve a well thought out responce. Only scorn and contempt.

You've made your views perfectly clear by trolling his every post practically, you dont need to spell it out.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
[+] 2 users Like Humakt's post
29-05-2013, 08:23 PM
(29-05-2013 06:42 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Can't please everyone.

All he's ever received in life is scorn and contempt. Why else do you think he acts out in the way he does?

It's attitudes like this one that are the reason why humanity has progressed so far but still engages in the senseless bloodshed that is war.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
30-05-2013, 01:05 AM
(29-05-2013 08:23 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  All he's ever received in life is scorn and contempt. Why else do you think he acts out in the way he does?

You sound like you know him. Like you were there while he was getting bashed and bullied as a child.

Do you know him personally?
(28-05-2013 12:21 AM)I and I Wrote:  typical woman thinks everything is about her. haha

next
IMO this guy isn't acting out. He's just a nasty person.

(29-05-2013 08:23 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  It's attitudes like this one that are the reason why humanity has progressed so far but still engages in the senseless bloodshed that is war.

Better hope I don't start WW3 if it's that simple! lol

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss