Is science better or getting better?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2013, 05:20 AM
RE: Is science better or getting better?
(29-05-2013 06:22 PM)Humakt Wrote:  
(28-05-2013 07:35 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Philosopy asks questions that it cant answer. Science searches for the answers.

The whole philosopy v science thing you are doing doesnt fit here. If you really want to do that stick with the philosophy section.

There is not an area that philosophy does not belong in. Can not examine, or indeed should be deemed to be irrelevant to.

I was all in for a philosophy section, but if its being used to dump any philosophical question on any subject into, then that seems quite wrong to me.

So who do you consider "true philosophy" if you denounce what most philosophers have questioned throughout the history of philosophy?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2013, 07:26 AM
(29-05-2013 08:23 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(29-05-2013 06:42 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  Can't please everyone.

IandI's "religion of science".

He's just a troll posting this stuff to be inflammatory. He doesn't deserve a well thought out responce. Only scorn and contempt.

All he's ever received in life is scorn and contempt. Why else do you think he acts out in the way he does?

It's attitudes like this one that are the reason why humanity has progressed so far but still engages in the senseless bloodshed that is war.

Were you not here when this dickhead arrived? He's not reacting to us, he's been a dickhead from the get-go.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-05-2013, 08:21 AM
(30-05-2013 05:20 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(29-05-2013 06:22 PM)Humakt Wrote:  There is not an area that philosophy does not belong in. Can not examine, or indeed should be deemed to be irrelevant to.

I was all in for a philosophy section, but if its being used to dump any philosophical question on any subject into, then that seems quite wrong to me.

So who do you consider "true philosophy" if you denounce what most philosophers have questioned throughout the history of philosophy?

I'm not denouncing any philosopher, nor am I advocating a true philosophy. I'm questioning the idea that any discussion with a philosophical slant should be moved to the philosophy section. Or indeed the consequence of that, that philosophical discussion is not appropriate outside of the philosophy thread. I neither mention, individual philosophers or schools of thought, nor do I denounce philosophy in anyway. Nor in re reading my post do I see any foundation for your question, if you could point out the area that led you to ask such a question I'd be grateful.

Legal Disclaimer: I am right, I reserve the right to be wrong without notice, opinions may change, your statutory rights are not affected, opinions expressed are not my own and are an approximation for the sake of communication.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Humakt's post
30-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Science definitely has gotten better.

The accuracy of measurements, predictions, and models all attest to that.

Whatever else you're alluding to, and we know you are, is likely beyond the scope of 'real' science, so it's irrelevant to this question.

[Image: 2nulweg.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
30-05-2013, 08:22 PM
(30-05-2013 08:26 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  Science definitely has gotten better.

Whatever else you're alluding to, and we know you are, is likely beyond the scope of 'real' science, so it's irrelevant to this question.

And more and more sophisticated, comprehensive and explanatory theories. Thumbsup

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
30-05-2013, 09:52 PM
(30-05-2013 08:26 AM)LostLocke Wrote:  Science definitely has gotten better.

Accuracy and precision!

One scientific paradigm is better than another when it demonstrates improved predictive or explanatory powers.

You can't build a nuclear reactor with the four elements.

Science is totally a social construct, though, that much is true. It's a bunch of stuff we made up, and it's only ever an approximation. And yet whether it reflects true knowledge or reality is irrelevant, once we start using it to manipulate the world around us. The efficacy is undeniable - unless, I suppose, you're a solipsist...
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
30-05-2013, 11:26 PM
(30-05-2013 09:52 PM)cjlr Wrote:  .... unless, I suppose, you're a solipsist...

I am quite certain I am a figment of my own imagination. Thumbsup

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
30-05-2013, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2013 11:44 PM by fstratzero.)
(27-05-2013 11:25 PM)I and I Wrote:  In order to see if science is better than previous science periods is to look at paradigm shifts in science. There certainly have been paradigm shifts in science but how does one come to the conclusion that one paradigm is better than the other? At the most one can only say that they are different.

Human societies and cultures go through paradigm shifts all the time. Humans observe things, make assertions, the culture agrees on these assertions, these assertions are then counted as "truth" or "fact" , then at certain times there are paradigm shifts. This is the same whether it's from religion or science.

Their are huge philosophical problems with this method that religion and science employ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5m9x-Sjugo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYm58BTrHcQ

Watch these videos as philosophy bends science over the table and expose the idiotic idea of a linear notion of "from worse to better" idea of scientific progress.

Drinking Beverage

Just as I thought a postmodern view of science. That facts only exists in science as a narrative. Which means the facts about the world can be collectively voted into existence at the whims of mobs. That is to say all facts are relative to ones location and culture.

This of course is false. As the many theories in use today correspond with the real world. The paradigm shifts say from Einstein to Newton wasn't a test of popularity, it was a test of the theory against reality that lead to a shift from one to another.

Einstein predicted that light should be bent by gravity. Sir Arthur Eddington lead an expedition to photograph the 1919 Total Eclipse of the Sun. The photographs revealed stars whose light had passed near to the Sun. Their positions showed that the light had been bent exactly as Einstein had predicted. The experiment was repeated in 1922 with another eclipse with the same confirmation.

So yes it is progressing. Thumbsup

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
31-05-2013, 08:39 AM
http://www.physics.nyu.edu/faculty/sokal...efile.html
01-06-2013, 05:06 PM
Is science better or getting better?
(30-05-2013 11:41 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(27-05-2013 11:25 PM)I and I Wrote:  In order to see if science is better than previous science periods is to look at paradigm shifts in science. There certainly have been paradigm shifts in science but how does one come to the conclusion that one paradigm is better than the other? At the most one can only say that they are different.

Human societies and cultures go through paradigm shifts all the time. Humans observe things, make assertions, the culture agrees on these assertions, these assertions are then counted as "truth" or "fact" , then at certain times there are paradigm shifts. This is the same whether it's from religion or science.

Their are huge philosophical problems with this method that religion and science employ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5m9x-Sjugo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYm58BTrHcQ

Watch these videos as philosophy bends science over the table and expose the idiotic idea of a linear notion of "from worse to better" idea of scientific progress.

Drinking Beverage

Just as I thought a postmodern view of science. That facts only exists in science as a narrative. Which means the facts about the world can be collectively voted into existence at the whims of mobs. That is to say all facts are relative to ones location and culture.

This of course is false. As the many theories in use today correspond with the real world. The paradigm shifts say from Einstein to Newton wasn't a test of popularity, it was a test of the theory against reality that lead to a shift from one to another.

Einstein predicted that light should be bent by gravity. Sir Arthur Eddington lead an expedition to photograph the 1919 Total Eclipse of the Sun. The photographs revealed stars whose light had passed near to the Sun. Their positions showed that the light had been bent exactly as Einstein had predicted. The experiment was repeated in 1922 with another eclipse with the same confirmation.

So yes it is progressing. Thumbsup

So you don't believe that a given field of knowledge and its believers generally rejects views that do not fit within its paradigm?