Is "secondhand smoke" a myth?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-09-2015, 05:38 AM
RE: Is "secondhand smoke" a myth?
(25-09-2015 05:07 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 04:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I don't. I am just suspect of the data that they are using when they make claims like.

http://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_statisti...ral_facts/

You didn't bother to look at ANY of the MANY links to independent studies in my above post, Blowjob. How typical. What a fool.

I forgive you for calling me a fool. Your right, I didn't look at those studies. I'm just not interested in the subject enough to give it that much scrutiny. Maybe I am wrong but I am assuming those studies, or some of them at least, get there data from death certificates and if the information on the death certificates is suspect then in my opinion the conclusions of those studies become suspect.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2015, 05:46 AM
Doesn't matter..

You're still not gonna get to smoke on the airplane.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
25-09-2015, 06:58 AM
So, I guess I drank the koolaid yesterday and went full retard. Never go full retard. Anyways, thanks for the link, Bucky.

Seems like Penn's libertarian views trump his skeptical side on certain issues.
[+] 1 user Likes EppurSiMuove's post
25-09-2015, 07:16 PM
(25-09-2015 04:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 12:57 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  To the point of this thread, do you have data on their exposure to second-hand smoke?

I don't. I am just suspect of the data that they are using when they make claims like.

please inform us what data the EPA was using back when secondhand smoke became an issue (90s). Names and authors of papers please.
01-10-2015, 07:41 AM
As a side note, I'd be somewhat suspicious of a court in North Carolina, a state who's economic lifeblood was tobacco, questioning the study.

That aside, I have no independent knowledge on the topic but I'd be genuinely shocked if it didn't cause health issues to non smokers.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-06-2016, 08:10 AM
(24-09-2015 08:58 PM)EppurSiMuove Wrote:  So, tonight, the wife and I have been watching Penn & Teller: Bullshit. Great fucking show. Penn Jillete is like a younger, much more vulgar, James Randi. Brilliant.
Anyway, after watching some hilarious episodes, like one about some woo-fuckers who believe they channel dolphin spirits Hobo , we watch one about how the movement to ban smoking is based on a paper from the EPA from '93 titled "Respiratory Health Effects of Passive Smoking". A federal court in North Carolina ruled that the study by the EPA was faulty, and that they "cherry-picked" data. The courts findings coincided with a congressional analysis from '95, which questioned the validity of the EPA's study. When I first heard this, I was utterly shocked. My first reaction, naturally, was to say, "of course secondhand smoke is bad!". After reading up a little more, I don't know... All of the health organizations who agree that secondhand smoke causes all the respiratory issues, such as risk for lung cancer, based their decision off of the EPA's study in '93. What the actual fuqqqqq.... Consider

It is probably not quite as bad as actually smoking, it is still bad for you. After all, it is diluted by distance and the lungs of the idiot actually smoking. That being said, I know it harmed me. My grandfather was a chain smoker the whole time I was growing up. Always had a cigarette burning and all the windows in the house closed. Put a small child there (Me) in that house every weekend where the atmosphere has smoke containing nicotine and other nasty stuff and then put me in school the rest of the week and wonder why I can't sit still. Once I got older and was able to see other students that smoked and the behavior of those students when they had to go a while without smoking. It is obvious that I was desperate for more nicotine which was missing during the school week. Likewise, I was always smaller than everyone else, by a lot. Not to mention that my opinion on it now is that their right to smoke and put smoke into the air ends at my ability to smell their particular stench.
03-06-2016, 08:12 AM
(25-09-2015 05:46 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Doesn't matter..

Let's hope not. Also never again in restaurants. Someone lights up on a plane there should be an airlock we can flush them out of.
03-06-2016, 09:07 AM
(03-06-2016 08:12 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(25-09-2015 05:46 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Doesn't matter..

Let's hope not. Also never again in restaurants. Someone lights up on a plane there should be an airlock we can flush them out of.

They still have smoking sections in Missouri restaurants. Only a few cities there have enacted modern smoking laws.
In 2007 we were travelling across the country by plane and were asked "smoking or non-smoking" in a Nebraska restaurant. My wife and I just looked at each other in disbelief before I stammered, "uh, non smoking".
03-06-2016, 09:42 AM
Would be interesting to see the correlation between all the smoking bans and the occurrence of smoking related diseases.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-06-2016, 09:50 AM
(03-06-2016 09:42 AM)Dom Wrote:  Would be interesting to see the correlation between all the smoking bans and the occurrence of smoking related diseases.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20...042255.htm

It appears there are people studying the results all around of studies on it to see the effects in action.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post