Is spirituality a drug?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-05-2013, 11:26 PM
RE: Is spirituality a drug?
You reminded me of this article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/05/...k#comments

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2013, 01:22 AM

What is this orgasmic response people are supposed to have to spirituality that addicts them to it? When I have a psychic experience, I don't even consider it a particularly good feeling. Precognition makes me feel disoriented, seeing the clear symbolism in a dream doesn't thrill me--it just is what it is. Believing in the Divine Source doesn't do a thing for me. And believing in a lucid spiritual plane does not make me wish for this life to end.

So where's the endorphins? Where's the great feelings? If I'm going to be a spiritualist I think I should get my share.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Egor's post
01-06-2013, 02:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2013 02:56 AM by Luminon.)
(01-06-2013 01:22 AM)Egor Wrote:  What is this orgasmic response people are supposed to have to spirituality that addicts them to it? When I have a psychic experience, I don't even consider it a particularly good feeling. Precognition makes me feel disoriented, seeing the clear symbolism in a dream doesn't thrill me--it just is what it is. Believing in the Divine Source doesn't do a thing for me. And believing in a lucid spiritual plane does not make me wish for this life to end.

So where's the endorphins? Where's the great feelings? If I'm going to be a spiritualist I think I should get my share.
I'm not sure what exactly your "psychic experience" is, but it doesn't seem to be a mystical or transcendental experience. Just using some abilities that are innate and natural to us.
I have a hypothesis that humanity actually evolved away of this kind of psychism, so that it could focus on developing intellectually and technologically. If this is so, then I would rather stay away from such a standard psychism and focus only on the transcendent experience, I had read there is some higher form of "psychism" or intuition to be achieved, probably because it also makes use of the intellectual abilities.
Of course that leaves me lacking in specific psychic information. I can analyze things I know, but I hardly get to know anything new. However,
- this pursuit is a very blissful and ecstatic activity (if not always pleasant)
- its contemplative form promises a to develop hints of an inspirative genius in some areas, instead of standard psychic information.
So I would call it a long-term investment. This kind of pursuit is closest in meaning to the biblical quote, "Seek the kingdom of God and everything else will be given to you."

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply