Is suicide selfish?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2015, 01:06 PM
RE: Is suicide selfish?
(29-01-2015 07:28 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I've seen some people comment on suicide as being a selfish act.
Selfishness is great.
It makes absolute sense to take actions in your own best interests.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2015, 01:42 PM
It's not selfish - from my own experience of this, suicide to the person in question is a logical conclusion and often seen as beneficial to the people left behind, in terms of lifting away a burden.

This is how I experienced it - I realise the flaws in this line of thinking, but I recoil when people call it selfish in the negative sense - if anything it is closer to selfless...

"Name me a moral statement made or moral action performed that could not have been made or done, by a non-believer..." - Christopher Hitchens

My youtube musings: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfFoxbz...UVi1pf4B5g
29-01-2015, 01:53 PM
(29-01-2015 12:55 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(29-01-2015 10:36 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I've always held a more Socratic view and to me it's an insult to others and consciousness but not so much a selfish act.

Is running off to be a hermit and study in some lonely cave or temple selfish? I think if someone in a spot of that manner killed themselves, who would be affected? There wouldn't really be someone around to for it to have an impact.

It's more of a product of consciousness rather than an insult to it. Though I do understand your point.

That's just the Socrates argument about it, that because there is always knowledge to be had, that it insults the person to stop seeking by ending their life. It's not really selfish action but disregard of what the self can do. That's at least a dumbed down to my level understanding.

I reglanced at this thread and it read like, is sushi shellfish to me.. rather absurd right? Made me think of the other absurdist ways to judge suicide. We all have an element of being that we find in ourselves. To rob it from ourselfs intentionally isn't quite selfish as much as it could be seen as a strike against oneself.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-01-2015, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2015 02:12 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
I dunno. But it's painless..
You're up Girly.
[+] 2 users Like Drunkin Druid's post
29-01-2015, 02:23 PM
(29-01-2015 02:07 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I dunno. But it's painless..
You're up Girly.

Girly will wrestle you for not referencing! Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
29-01-2015, 02:30 PM
(29-01-2015 07:46 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(29-01-2015 07:42 AM)gofish! Wrote:  In my poorly educated view, I equate "selfishness" as the opposite of "duty", so for me, it depends on how you define your duty.

I have considered suicide in the past. What is interesting is that today, I'd consider it against a duty I feel I have for my son to be with him as he becomes a man.

I suspect the answer for others will be different, even depending on where they are in their life journey.

Variation of perspectives is a point of mine. You cannot wholly say "suicide is selfish" (In the bad sense of selfishness).

You presume I'm asserting that suicide is selfish. I am not.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
29-01-2015, 03:38 PM
Suicide is an answer, a solution.
If somebody wants to end the suffering that they feel in there life either emotionaly or physically then I dont blame them, I have been there and empathise completlely. Whilst I defined suicide as an answer and a solution that does not mean it is the only answer, nor the only solution. Unless you are terminally ill then you may have little options, but for people who have no real reason to die, who may be perfectly physically fit, then they are momentarilly blinded and see it as the only solution.

People who want to die, didnt ask for that feeling or to be put into that situation. They didnt ask to leave their loved ones behind, even though they may be fully aware of how devastating their consequences maybe.

Suicide is not selfish...... and unless you can relate, I cant see how you could understand.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
29-01-2015, 03:44 PM
(29-01-2015 02:30 PM)gofish! Wrote:  
(29-01-2015 07:46 AM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  Variation of perspectives is a point of mine. You cannot wholly say "suicide is selfish" (In the bad sense of selfishness).

You presume I'm asserting that suicide is selfish. I am not.

Sorry, I didn't mean "you" when I said "you cannot wholly say". A generalising figure of speech. I mean "nobody can wholly say". Is it just people where I'm from that say "you" like that?

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
29-01-2015, 03:45 PM
(29-01-2015 03:38 PM)bemore Wrote:  Suicide is an answer, a solution.
If somebody wants to end the suffering that they feel in there life either emotionaly or physically then I dont blame them, I have been there and empathise completlely. Whilst I defined suicide as an answer and a solution that does not mean it is the only answer, nor the only solution. Unless you are terminally ill then you may have little options, but for people who have no real reason to die, who may be perfectly physically fit, then they are momentarilly blinded and see it as the only solution.

People who want to die, didnt ask for that feeling or to be put into that situation. They didnt ask to leave their loved ones behind, even though they may be fully aware of how devastating their consequences maybe.

Suicide is not selfish...... and unless you can relate, I cant see how you could understand.

Thank you for putting how I feel about this subject so well.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
29-01-2015, 03:57 PM
(29-01-2015 03:44 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(29-01-2015 02:30 PM)gofish! Wrote:  You presume I'm asserting that suicide is selfish. I am not.

Sorry, I didn't mean "you" when I said "you cannot wholly say". A generalising figure of speech. I mean "nobody can wholly say". Is it just people where I'm from that say "you" like that?

No offence taken so no apology needed. It was just ambiguous).

My point was about selfishness, not suicide. Suicide is just an act and a choice.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.