Is technology making Theism more plausible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Is technology making Theism more plausible?
Just a thought I had today. An example:

Godzilla King of Monsters-

Even a somewhat sane person would realize that the above is fantasy. The "Stop/Go" animation is just barely above cartoon. How would anybody consider this remotely logical.

Then we have, Jurassic Park-

Suddenly 'Dinosaurs' don't sound quite so insane. Heck, otherwise completely cognizant adults could admit the plausibility. All due to huge advances in technology. Mostly visual technology and CGI. However we also have huge advances in back stories/origins/etc.

The above is simply an example.

Name a live action show and you can often see plausibility being presented:
'Dr. Who' - Time Travel
'Dead like me' - Afterlife
'Xmen' - Human mutation (above and beyond webbed toes)
'Jurassic park' - Extinct animal Resurrection.
'Constantine' (the one with Keanu Reeves) - Afterlife/Angels/Demons
'Supernatural' - God/Angels/Demons/Vampires/Etc/etc...
Et Cetera...

So my question. As technology improves, and our eyes are deceived with more and more success-do you believe that damages the credibility of Atheism and it's (general) claim of such supernatural possibilities being completely without merit?

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-04-2015, 03:59 PM
RE: Is technology making Theism more plausible?
Are you in a time zone where it's still april first? Big Grin

I see no connection whatsoever, really. Maybe I'm missing the point though.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 5 users Like Alex K's post
02-04-2015, 05:21 PM
(02-04-2015 03:48 PM)Spooky Wrote:  Just a thought I had today. An example:

Even a somewhat sane person would realize that the above is fantasy. The "Stop/Go" animation is just barely above cartoon. How would anybody consider this remotely logical.

Suddenly 'Dinosaurs' don't sound quite so insane. Heck, otherwise completely cognizant adults could admit the plausibility. All due to huge advances in technology. Mostly visual technology and CGI. However we also have huge advances in back stories/origins/etc.

'Dr. Who' - Time Travel
Et Cetera...

So my question. As technology improves, and our eyes are deceived with more and more success-do you believe that damages the credibility of Atheism and it's (general) claim of such supernatural possibilities being completely without merit?

Suspension of disbelief is not the same as belief. At least not for most people.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-04-2015, 05:36 PM
Just because our eyes can be decieved, does not mean our technology can be. The technology you just spoke of does not decieve us in any way. It creates images and those images have become more advaneced over time.

We can use our technology to detect and enhance and improve just about anything. As it advances, our ability to detect, monitor and study that which our bodies cannot is increased.

That is why we can see, and study Atoms and other even much much much MUCH smaller particles. The increase of technology and the furtherment of our knowledge closes the gaps that god hides in. This is where the god of the gaps argument that your using comes from. The more we are able to find and study, the LESS likely gods existence is.

4000 years ago, god lived on a mountain top and chatted with Moses. 2000 years ago, he lived in the clouds and heaven was white puffy clouds with naked bird people!

1000 years ago, he lived in space.

Until less than 50 years ago, he moved to the beginning of the big bang.

10-20 years ago he moved outside of time and space.

Where do you think he will be in ten to a hundred years from now?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 4 users Like Shadow Fox's post
02-04-2015, 05:36 PM
(02-04-2015 03:59 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Are you in a time zone where it's still april first? Big Grin

I see no connection whatsoever, really. Maybe I'm missing the point though.

Well, no Unsure

Angels, Demons...God.

People believe in these things anyway. Suppose you have a child growing up in a religious home. They watch themselves some tv that involves these characters. I feel as if media, and the technology making it better and more believable, is simply reinforcing these these beliefs. What might be considered myth or parable (bible/random religious text) could suddenly seem that much more real.

02-04-2015, 05:37 PM
(02-04-2015 05:36 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Just because our eyes can be decieved, does not mean our technology can be. The technology you just spoke of does not decieve us in any way. It creates images and those images have become more advaneced over time.

We can use our technology to detect and enhance and improve just about anything. As it advances, our ability to detect, monitor and study that which our bodies cannot is increased.

That is why we can see, and study Atoms and other even much much much MUCH smaller particles. The increase of technology and the furtherment of our knowledge closes the gaps that god hides in. This is where the god of the gaps argument that your using comes from. The more we are able to find and study, the LESS likely gods existence is.

4000 years ago, god lived on a mountain top and chatted with Moses. 2000 years ago, he lived in the clouds and heaven was white puffy clouds with naked bird people!

1000 years ago, he lived in space.

Until less than 50 years ago, he moved to the beginning of the big bang.

10-20 years ago he moved outside of time and space.

Where do you think he will be in ten to a hundred years from now?

Hopefully dead in somebody's trophy room.

02-04-2015, 07:19 PM

'Dr. Who' - Time Travel
Et Cetera...

I wouldn't think so, we built Tesla coils that can generate lightning. That didn't exactly help the God of Thunder myth.
Maybe we'll figure out a way to view past history without being able to affect anything in the past, that's not going to help myth-based beliefs at all.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
02-04-2015, 07:35 PM
(02-04-2015 07:19 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  

'Dr. Who' - Time Travel
Et Cetera...

I wouldn't think so, we built Tesla coils that can generate lightning. That didn't exactly help the God of Thunder myth.
Maybe we'll figure out a way to view past history without being able to affect anything in the past, that's not going to help myth-based beliefs at all.

It probably works both ways.
Holding a strong atheism may encourage some to go for broke unwisely in the pursuit of hedonistic pleasure, ignoring responsibilities, a fear response.
Technological advancements too, along with quantum mechanics, a sense of awe, may stimulate innate spiritual tendencies.
02-04-2015, 07:57 PM
Movies and television that stretch the imagination in areas of science (ie Jurassic Park) should not be relegated to the shows and movies that presuppose God, angels, demons or any such ilk exist.
02-04-2015, 07:58 PM
Thing is dinosaurs existed so why would that sound insane or be supernatural? or are you talking about the resurrection of dinosaurs? That may not be in the realm of possibility now but it's not really supernatural. Last month scientists were able to insert Woolly Mammoth DNA into Elephant Cells. Also what we are able to imagine does not change reality unless what we imagine is something we can create ourselves. Putting a unicorn in a movie will never make unicorns exist unless we specifically create a unicorn. If you ask me, it's the opposite. With technology we can explore space, with technology we can understand better the world we live in.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze