Is technology making Theism more plausible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2015, 08:04 PM
RE: Is technology making Theism more plausible?
Do magic tricks make magic more plausible ?

No

Technology can allow people to lie to other people on a scale like never before and that you can equate to religion.

Churches can produce high quality video of fake miracles to show their flock and pass them off as
"This really happened. Praise jesus."

Technology doesn't make theism plausible. It can however be used to make the lie more believable to the crowd who is more gullible.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
02-04-2015, 08:09 PM
(02-04-2015 07:57 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Movies and television that stretch the imagination in areas of science (ie Jurassic Park) should not be relegated to the shows and movies that presuppose God, angels, demons or any such ilk exist.

I don't disagree, and that wasn't my intent. I just wanted to show the difference in special effects technology. Jurassic Park (1993) is by far my favorite movie, and simply the first to come to mind. Excellent books too. I own everything Michael Crichton ever wrote.

And I thought there were people who believe dinosaurs "never existed"?

My wife studied geology in college and has some interesting stories of the more religious of her classmates. Telling her it's not a real science and other such statements.

The essence of life is statistical improbability on a colossal scale.
02-04-2015, 08:22 PM
(02-04-2015 08:09 PM)Spooky Wrote:  And I thought there were people who believe dinosaurs "never existed"?

My wife studied geology in college and has some interesting stories of the more religious of her classmates. Telling her it's not a real science and other such statements.

There are idiots who believe that unfortunately.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
02-04-2015, 11:48 PM
The question is not formed in a manner I can accurately understand.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-04-2015, 06:38 AM
(02-04-2015 03:48 PM)Spooky Wrote:  Name a live action show and you can often see plausibility being presented:
'Dr. Who' - Time Travel
'Dead like me' - Afterlife
'Xmen' - Human mutation (above and beyond webbed toes)
'Jurassic park' - Extinct animal Resurrection.
'Constantine' (the one with Keanu Reeves) - Afterlife/Angels/Demons
'Supernatural' - God/Angels/Demons/Vampires/Etc/etc...
Et Cetera...

So my question. As technology improves, and our eyes are deceived with more and more success-do you believe that damages the credibility of Atheism and it's (general) claim of such supernatural possibilities being completely without merit?

Atheism doesn't say anything except one thing - a a lack of belief in a god.

Atheists can and probably do span the spectrum as to whether time travel is possible. We may see dinosaurs resurrected (by scientists!!) in the not too distant future. Induced evolution may also be a possibility (the desirability of this is, of course, very much up for dispute). But if any or all of these come about, it will be due to advances in science and technology.

The other items you listed (afterlife/demons/vampires etc) should not have been mixed with the others - yeah, I saw what you done there. These are fantasies and despite them being thousands of years old, the evidence we have for any of them could be written in large letters on the back of a stamp and you'd still have room to spare.

Again, belief in these has nothing to do with atheism. I suppose that some atheists do believe in an afterlife. After all, an afterlife does not require a god. Maybe there is a "soul" that hangs around after someone has shuffled off this mortal coil. I've seen no proof that there is. If you do have some, there's still plenty of room on that postage stamp.

Does technology make these things more "believeable"? I can and do watch a good movie featuring wizards and witches, dragons and knights, ghosts and spirits, and oxford commas. We humans have the ability to suspend disbelief and watch a movie (or read a book) as if every situation or event is entirely plausible, and, at the end, revert to normality. I've seen all eight Harry Potter films and am not a millimeter closer to believing in witches than I was before the first film was made.

As technology improves and spreads, it actually gives non-believers a chance examine religious beliefs. One good example was HBO's Going Clear special on scientology.
03-04-2015, 07:29 AM
Um no, I think technology makes it harder for bad logic and crappy claims to hide.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
03-04-2015, 08:10 AM
[Image: grumpy-cat-no-1.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
03-04-2015, 08:26 AM
I will only say it is used to spread crappy claims sure, but as long as skeptics have the same access, technology always seems to help social progress long term. Bullshit claims fall apart the more sunlight is put on them.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
03-04-2015, 10:39 PM
(02-04-2015 05:21 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Suspension of disbelief is not the same as belief. At least not for most people.

You could say people's disbeliefs are left......dangling. Cool

[Image: giphy.gif]
04-04-2015, 06:14 PM
How would we be able to confirm that something is or isn't a god? If Jesus appear before us, how would we confirm that it was Jesus and not a rare case of natural mass hallucination or even a supernatural mass hallucination cause by a trickster being?

Dodgy