Is technology making Theism more plausible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2015, 01:05 AM
RE: Is technology making Theism more plausible?
(04-04-2015 06:14 PM)Skeptical Skeptic Wrote:  How would we be able to confirm that something is or isn't a god? If Jesus appear before us, how would we confirm that it was Jesus and not a rare case of natural mass hallucination or even a supernatural mass hallucination cause by a trickster being?

As technology improves the possibility that an apparent supernatural event was naturally staged only increases. Even if a "god" came down from the heavens right now and showed off his powers I'm not sure how we would determine that it wasn't a human prank or an alien invader.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2015, 01:36 AM
(02-04-2015 08:04 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Do magic tricks make magic more plausible ?

No

Technology can allow people to lie to other people on a scale like never before and that you can equate to religion.

Churches can produce high quality video of fake miracles to show their flock and pass them off as
"This really happened. Praise jesus."

Technology doesn't make theism plausible. It can however be used to make the lie more believable to the crowd who is more gullible.

Rahn müsste schießen, Rahn schießt, Tooor!

In other words - I fully agree.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
05-04-2015, 06:28 AM
(05-04-2015 01:05 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(04-04-2015 06:14 PM)Skeptical Skeptic Wrote:  How would we be able to confirm that something is or isn't a god? If Jesus appear before us, how would we confirm that it was Jesus and not a rare case of natural mass hallucination or even a supernatural mass hallucination cause by a trickster being?

As technology improves the possibility that an apparent supernatural event was naturally staged only increases. Even if a "god" came down from the heavens right now and showed off his powers I'm not sure how we would determine that it wasn't a human prank or an alien invader.

I've always thought that if god wanted to prove himself he'd have to do something we simply can't manage. My favorite here would be showing up on every running camera all around the world simultaneously and saying some message in the local language. The sheer scale of the event would be such, and there would be evidence after the fact. Could that be an alien invader? Possibly, but from our perspective they may as well be gods (as Stargate demonstrates effectively enough).
05-04-2015, 06:53 AM
If anything, technology is making it easier to lie and mislead. A friend of mine likes to post so many illuminati videos claiming they're all proof of it because of all the different celebrities talking about it and to me, it's very obvious that some of the videos have people talking but the audio does not match it whatsoever. Could be a "lag" or whatever sure, but that just makes any lie much more believable. Or even when people manage to fit completely different words in a person's mouth seamlessly.

Example:
[Image: C4BXIzP.gif]

Smartass

We are eternal beings. Endings are not in our destiny.
[+] 1 user Likes kristenkjordan's post
09-04-2015, 09:33 PM
Is technology making Theism more plausible?
I think technology does the opposite actually because everything is searchable on the internet and both sides are expressed, whereas without tech, all you have is people's word and the library which is a pain in the ass.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
09-04-2015, 10:02 PM
I don't see it at all. Better technology = better science and that means God gets pushed further away.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes AFTT47's post
09-04-2015, 11:57 PM
I don't know about entertainment making theism more plausible, but a few months reading through LessWrong had me thinking A.I. was going to spawn some cruel god-like being. The only thing missing was the creation story, and I'm sure the folks over there could spin some logical thread explaining that the computer would make a simulation where it did create everything, and that simulation would be close enough to call it the real thing.

I don't know how that place is now, but they had some weird crisis go down where just being aware that the computer could someday exist obligates any and all to do everything in their power to help it come about. Refusing or neglecting to give everything you had to the cause would result in the A.I. making an exactly replicated simulation of you and torturing it forever. Then, they about had a melt down when they realized that anybody who reads that article was doomed. I thought the whole thing was a new aged attempt ar an Orsen Welles War of the Worlds hoax, but they're pretty serious.
10-04-2015, 06:48 AM
I think the OP has a point - that I have noted before.

My grandmother grew up in a sod shack in Lithuania - and didn't see electricity until she traveled to Vilnius to emigrate the the USA.

Her level of technological sophistication was quite low. She saw pretty much everything as unknowable - borderline on magic.

Even after 40 years living in the USA - she still had a hard time with some stuff -- for instance - she watched "Big Time Wrestling" on TV and thought it was real. (1960's)

If she had seen the movie "Jurassic Park" - she'd have shit her pants, grabbed a shotgun and barricaded herself in the basement "before the dinosaurs come"...

Point -- those thrust into technology beyond their reasoning can be made to believe the unbelievable.

People today who grew up with such stuff???

Nope. They know "It's just a movie".

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post