Is that same meaning?(about racism)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2011, 05:29 PM

Is that same meaning?(about racism)
I have a friend who is an Asian and I am an Asian too. but we are from different countries.

My friend sent a msg that he uploaded a video with his language. Then, one American guy commented his video that 'shut up and only speak English.' So, he was mad and he said 'fucking American.'

and I said 'Don't prejudge all Americans.'

but he said 'I said American, I didn't say American's'.'

I think it is same meaning between 'fucking American' and 'fucking Americans,' so I told him.

but my friend said 'I explained specific situation, so it is totally different.'

Is it true?
Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2011, 06:03 PM

RE: Is that same meaning?(about racism)
As an American I take your friends comment as specifying his contempt for one American only. Not all American's would leave that comment on your friends You Tube video, nor did they. Your friend was speaking to one, not all.
The commentators remark commanding "English only", implied he was American and intolerant of a video that doesn't have to subscribe to English language only. So your friends remark in protest was relative to one American believing they had a right to demand their native tongue be spoken only.
It's not racism, as I see it. It's just being pissed off back at someone who was pissed off first.
20-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I just moved this thread because I want to keep the 'Issues Suggestions and Comments' forum dedicated to topics about running this site.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-05-2011, 05:00 AM
By using American in singular form he is correct that he is being situation specific, but he is still using American as a derogatory word. Think about it this way: If he had said "fucking jerk" he would have implied that it is a bad thing to be a jerk. "fucking American" implies that being an American is a bad thing. That makes is racist.

It's fascinating that a country can be composed almost exclusively of immigrants, and still have a problem with racism.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
21-05-2011, 06:27 PM
Would that not be the same as differentiating "fucking Asian " from "fucking Asians"?
21-05-2011, 06:29 PM

(21-05-2011 06:27 PM)J-Hova Wrote:  Would that not be the same as differentiating "fucking Asian " from "fucking Asians"?

The first sounds racist. The second makes me horny. Dodgy
22-05-2011, 11:45 AM
I find the statement valid in either respect. The singular usage of course does mean they are discussing the specific commenter, but also the connotation that being American is bad can be right as well. This is not full on racism but a stereotype. Due to overwhelming amounts of Americans demanding that things be posted in English one can assume that this demand is always made by Americans which is almost true. So as a derogatory slur against America in respects to this sort of limited view reaction the stereotyping is in a way justified.

Of course I do feel that American is a bad word =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
23-05-2011, 02:13 AM
(22-05-2011 11:45 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  This is not full on racism but a stereotype.

Racist stereotype?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
23-05-2011, 11:15 AM
There is a saying here; Americans are dick heads, but an American is a good person.

Though that may have been limited to my town, or maybe just my estate xD

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
23-05-2011, 10:20 PM
My statement to separate the two norseman is the fact that full on racism is a serious mindset whereas just stereotyping does not demand a mindset. A nationalist who despises other nations would generally discuss their hatred for these other nations. Mentioning a stereotype is not a big deal. If someone makes a joke about a black guys huge dick, or the fact they can't compete with the Asian in class on the first day, it's not generally seen as racist. It is stereotyping though.

On a side note Asians really do get a lot more crap than most because people don't realize the amount of belittling they do with random jokes and opinions. But generally people making these joke aren't angry or upset towards Asians they just don't realize how disrespectful these things are, because Asian jokes are so common place.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.