Is the 42% thing accurate?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-07-2014, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2014 01:49 AM by Providential.)
RE: Is the 42% thing accurate?
(16-07-2014 02:20 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  In America we have the religious hucksters like Ken Ham and Ray Comfort that profit off of the ignorance of Christians. I don't know if any other countries suffer from this quite like we do.

In Greece we have Liakopoulos to suffer, he deals with Nephilim & Elohim Sadcryface2

My English are better from God Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-07-2014, 01:46 AM
I started public school in California, 1960 and finished in 1972: no--never any prayer in my schools (attended 21 schools in Cali.), no corporal punishment, evolution was taught from early on. Later on, when I became a Christian for 12 years, I believed Adam and Eve's early beginnings were as little furries that evolved into humans over a long period of time.

I agree that 42% claim to be creationists; however, I'm willing to bet that many people proclaiming themselves "creationists" are simply making a shallow claim for God only--no back-up convictions, inactive.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
17-07-2014, 04:51 PM
(16-07-2014 10:26 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 05:55 PM)natachan Wrote:  Education is a state issue. Where I went to Hugh school biology was required for graduation, and evolution was a staple of that course. Meaning in order to graduate in the state of TN you had to at least understand the basics about evolution.

Biology is still a standard for every state, just depends on how harsh the standards are, and there is always exceptions in situation.

Even through normal science courses all my education, evolution was never something directly focused in depth it. Of course it forms the base of biology but you can accept and pass these classes ignoring it and accepting whatever nonsense you like. I had a college biology course recently with a girl in my group that openly didn't believe in evolution as she held her Muslim ideals.

I think the numbers are sadly accurate.

Nope! Biology is NOT a standard in every state. Otherwise I would had been required to have it OR seen it required for graduation. The Standard is 2 science credits and it varies into higher areas from state to state.

No one I knew ever took Biology except maybe in Jr. High. If it was required that I take it, I am sure I would had noticed it or known more people who took it regardless of the fact that I was a "special ed" student.

The Schools in America has fallen quite a lot in many years and it was pretty bad when I was in school in 03. I am sure that every state must require every school to have a biology class but not everyone is required to take it because it requires math and science that todays kids and the kids when I went to school with are not always mentally capable of learning.

That is why creationism exists. Because of retards like me. I am just lucky enough to have a few brain cells more then a creationist or I would actually believe that stupid crap.

Psalm 14:1 - There is NO God!
18-07-2014, 10:49 PM
(16-07-2014 02:20 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  In America we have the religious hucksters like Ken Ham and Ray Comfort that profit off of the ignorance of Christians. I don't know if any other countries suffer from this quite like we do.

What we have in Indonesia maybe worse, there some kinda Church Organization, It is kinda branched out religion from christianity, we called them here "Bethany"....
Why i say it worse, their slogan are YHS "Yakin Hidup Sukses" in english mean - "Believe For Successful Life", success as in wealth - why i say wealth because they always called out to the stage one of few of their wealthy followers to tell their story of their wealthy lives and (supposedly) how his god guide-helped him to became who they are (wealthy).

They make some kinda rule that make their follower gave 10% of their monthly income to the Church every month.

You can check their website http://www.yhs.net , and see the building they used as churches, i think all of them could be used for hollywood class singer to perform (They have lightning and audio system that better than most of the live performance club i have seen in Indonesia). Even one of their churches in Surabaya City, are said to be the largest churches in Indonesia.

I remembered the first time they open branch on my hometown, sometime around 20 years ago, they started off renting a small place, that doesnt even have walls. Now one of the churches three branches on my hometown are sitting on land and property value at least USD 2 Million.
18-07-2014, 11:52 PM
(16-07-2014 02:15 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 01:31 PM)Stevil Wrote:  46% with Creationist view, 32% think god guides evolution.
It seems to me that although evolution is being taught in USA schools that either it isn't being taught well, or in general USA people are un-teachable, or in general USA people are closeminded to evidence contrary to their current beliefs.

Actually, according to my experience. There is no school that teaches evolution in America. At least not unless your able to pass an algebra I class and are not one of the stupid kids like me and can get into Biology class or some other higher science class.

Kids that can't get into Biology at my school are tossed into environmental science, and even then, it doesn't count towards their life science credits and they'll need to take Biology at a later date anyways. From my experience, in the 6th grade, when human evolution was taught as a part of ancient history, it's more that people reject it because, well "That's stupid! Humans didn't come from monkeys!"

I was one of a small handful of students that understood and accepted it, and this wasn't in the Bible Belt, this was in a small suburb in California. A lot of Americans reject the idea completely because humans are a part of it.

[Image: 8ffeae9d.jpg]
Credit to Atothetheist
19-07-2014, 02:45 AM
This modern American view is precisely the reason we, as atheist and free thinkers must "come out of the closet. It saddens me to think that kids actually look at evolution as silly or ridiculous because we "come from monkeys." Unfortunately we are currently the ones with attached stigma of being immoral for not believing when the truth is that creationism is embarassing, and I actually feel embarrassed when I hear people whole heartedly cling to it. A quote from my 13 year old nephew..."when I grow up I want to be a scientist so I can disprove evolution." How do we change this? I guess we do what they do and get the word out. Fortunately, we wont need to resort to oppression and violent atrocities to accomlish this. We can let scientific evidence stand for itself and over time hopefully religion will reside as an interesting area in the study of human history.
22-07-2014, 07:35 AM
(16-07-2014 01:31 PM)Stevil Wrote:  46% with Creationist view, 32% think god guides evolution.
It seems to me that although evolution is being taught in USA schools that either it isn't being taught well, or in general USA people are un-teachable, or in general USA people are closeminded to evidence contrary to their current beliefs.

It's the second one. Bear in mind that your average American has been exposed either to a high-school level understanding of evolution (so, maybe a week or two worth of it in Biology) at best, and likely has only been spoon fed a strawman version of it.

You can tell this, because most people who get into discussion on evolution either end up complaining about things that are not true, or they simply pipe up and say they don't believe it without any reason. Your most "educated" creationists are the ones who've memorized the stock apologia from AiG the best. They'll at least avoid some of the strawman arguments, but will then proceed to hold evolution to a far higher bar than they hold their own creationist beliefs.