Is the Bell-Curve shifting to the left?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-03-2013, 11:29 AM (This post was last modified: 16-03-2013 11:44 AM by Zat.)
RE: Is the Bell-Curve shifting to the left?
Best example:

The son of one of my neighbors (grade 7) came over to pick something up for his father.

I asked him how school was.

He said fine but math sucks big time.

So I asked him what the problem was.

He said: the teacher was picking on him because she refused to accept his answer to the question of how much seven times eight was: "I told her that it was about 59 and after that I checked with my calculator and I was very close".

There we are: we are raising the "about 59" generation. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
16-03-2013, 06:54 PM
(16-03-2013 11:29 AM)Zat Wrote:  Best example:

The son of one of my neighbors (grade 7) came over to pick something up for his father.

I asked him how school was.

He said fine but math sucks big time.

So I asked him what the problem was.

He said: the teacher was picking on him because she refused to accept his answer to the question of how much seven times eight was: "I told her that it was about 59 and after that I checked with my calculator and I was very close".

There we are: we are raising the "about 59" generation. Sad

Yep…the little son-of-a-bitch doesn’t even realize he’s amoron. I don’t remember any of my
classmates having not memorized the basic multiplication table (up to 12x12) bythe time we left third (3) grade.

So…here’s “Little Johnny” in Grade 7. He’ already 3-4 years behind and so stupidhe can’t even realize he’s stupid. He’sunable to sit down quietly and read a novel or a text book, make his own studynotes or study on his own, or anything necessary to learn the skills he
needs. As a result, he will forever beunable to catch up…not ever – and he will forever blame his ignorance on histeachers, or the school system or…whatever. And so will his fuckin’ parents: the people who should have been beating“Little Johnny’s” ass when he refused to do his work and insisted upondisrupting the class. And so it goes.
16-03-2013, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 17-03-2013 05:02 AM by Zat.)
Human history is like an n-dimensional rope-pulling contest. Everything is connected to everything else.

There are cause-and-effect chains but the chains are also connected and one chain can trigger the start of another.

In a way, we are all responsible and, in another way, we are all victims.

On the micro level, with one child blown around like a leaf in history's wind, it is a question of luck: who your parents are, what their social circumstances are, did you get an inspiring teacher, did you have breakfast before going to school?

On the macro level you can see trends and that is what this thread is about.

The trend, unfortunately, is undeniable.

What good is knowing about the trend?

If you know, then you may take precautions, isolate yourself and your family from the negative effects as much as you can, rid yourself of a lot of anger and frustration when you realize it is not personally against you (or even about you) but history dealt you your your cards and it is up to you to play them with skill.

It is one thing to deny reality, and another dealing with it without debilitating anger and frustration.

In a way, it is our only choice.
16-03-2013, 10:34 PM
Actually the ability to estimate is an important and dying art in the calculator generation. Nowadays kids can be out by a factor of 10 and not notice . He should be encouraged.
[+] 1 user Likes sandman's post
16-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Is the Bell-Curve shifting to the left?
Zat, what country are you having these experiences in?
17-03-2013, 04:45 AM (This post was last modified: 19-03-2013 11:09 AM by Zat.)
North America
26-03-2013, 03:04 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2013 03:15 PM by Zat.)
I just got a new confirmation for my theory of the shifting Bell Curve.

If you compare the quality of responses I received 2 years ago with what I received today, on the very same threads (see the "Nature of Money"), you will see what I mean.! Big Grin
28-03-2013, 12:12 PM
If you look at what Zat is now using as evidence to support his claims (some post content on a tiny dynamicaly changing internet community) this also supports the theory.

Big Grin

We are so screwed! Tongue

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
28-03-2013, 01:12 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2013 01:39 PM by TrainWreck.)
Check this out. A PhD in political science published an argument about the GOP's new token black guy, Dr. Ben Carson:

Carson said, “People don’t want to talk about God…let’s let everybody believe what they want to believe.” Actually, the basis of the free exercise clause of the First Amendment is the freedom to believe. It is one of the few absolute protections that the Constitution provides. There is a big difference between belief and practice. If Carson understood the Constitution he would know that.
http://www.kulturekritic.com/2013/03/new...ollective/

He is arguing that the Constitution is the source for the comparison description of belief and practice - sounds like a good atheist doesn't it?

And I think there is a circular logic error, when we recognize the similarities of practice and "free exercise."

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
28-03-2013, 01:25 PM
I don't know about the Bell curve, but the Gov't keeps trying to level the playing field. They even make a downhill slant for the mentally crippled to try and help them keep up, but it is survival of the fittest regardless. Lead, follow, or get run over.