Is the Pen mightier than the Sword?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-07-2013, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2013 12:22 PM by Julius.)
Is the Pen mightier than the Sword?
Ever heard the quote that "The Pen is mightier than the Sword?"

Is this true, and does history bear it out?

Here is the quote in context from the play "Richelieu; Or the Conspiracy":

True, This! —
Beneath the rule of men entirely great
The pen is mightier than the sword. Behold
The arch-enchanters wand! — itself is nothing! —
But taking sorcery from the master-hand
To paralyse the Cæsars, and to strike
The loud earth breathless! — Take away the sword —
States can be saved without it!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-07-2013, 12:20 PM
RE: Is the Pen mightier than the Sword?
Wars were not started and sustained because of weapons alone.

Look at the Cold War. A so-called war because of the dick-wagging contest of who had the biggest nuke. The sword never shed a drop of blood in that war, because both sides kept their pens at bay.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
09-07-2013, 12:25 PM
(09-07-2013 12:20 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Wars were not started and sustained because of weapons alone.

Look at the Cold War. A so-called war because of the dick-wagging contest of who had the biggest nuke. The sword never shed a drop of blood in that war, because both sides kept their pens at bay.

Well...there was Korea and Vietnam: Americans fought there believing they were thwarting a communist conspiracy.
09-07-2013, 12:29 PM
(09-07-2013 12:25 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 12:20 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Wars were not started and sustained because of weapons alone.

Well...there was Korea and Vietnam: Americans fought there believing they were thwarting a communist conspiracy.

Because someone convinced them of that with words. The point of "the pen is mightier than the sword" is more than just saying that you can do damage with the words, but you can start wars with the words. Which means that because of the pen, people pick their swords up.

Evolve

Smartass
09-07-2013, 12:33 PM
(09-07-2013 12:29 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 12:25 PM)Julius Wrote:  Well...there was Korea and Vietnam: Americans fought there believing they were thwarting a communist conspiracy.

Because someone convinced them of that with words. The point of "the pen is mightier than the sword" is more than just saying that you can do damage with the words, but you can start wars with the words. Which means that because of the pen, people pick their swords up.

Well...that is all true, but did you carefully read the quote...because I think it says a lot more, too?
09-07-2013, 12:37 PM
(09-07-2013 12:33 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 12:29 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Because someone convinced them of that with words. The point of "the pen is mightier than the sword" is more than just saying that you can do damage with the words, but you can start wars with the words. Which means that because of the pen, people pick their swords up.

Well...that is all true, but did you carefully read the quote...because I think it says a lot more, too?

I wasn't really addressing the quote specifically, but I agree with it.

It implies at the end that there is no need for the sword to save the state. That is certainly true. It comes down to the matter of which is the greater threat to the state: foreign threats or domestic ones? I think the former might have been true before the advance of our technology for spreading information, but domestic and economic issues rule the roost now. And you don't solve those problems with a weapon, you solve them with the keystroke.

Evolve

Smartass
09-07-2013, 02:00 PM
"The Pen is mightier than the Sword, if you fire it out of a gun."
-Stephen Colbert

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
09-07-2013, 02:02 PM
I love how Colbert always finds a subtle way to parody the absurd.

Evolve

Smartass
09-07-2013, 02:35 PM
"They say the pen is mightier than the sword... I say FUCK THE PEN, 'cause you can Die by the Sword"
- Tom Araya

[Image: 9f6.gif]
09-07-2013, 03:46 PM
(09-07-2013 02:35 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  "They say the pen is mightier than the sword... I say FUCK THE PEN, 'cause you can Die by the Sword"
- Tom Araya

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]