Is the Pen mightier than the Sword?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2013, 11:59 AM
RE: Is the Pen mightier than the Sword?
(10-07-2013 11:55 AM)I and I Wrote:  
(10-07-2013 10:08 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I included one from Russia so your point is invalid. As to the number discrepancy it has to do with census and accounting problems from that era and when you stop counting deaths being attributed to Stalin, people he sent to gulags but died after his possible assassination or people that had been sentenced before he rose to power but were executed under his term. Also some of the larger figures include WW2 figures based on his horrible handling of the army and his officer purges. Either way my original statement of Millions was a far more conservative estimate than the consensus data.

Boom!

Again, your hypocrisy is getting to be like a bad comedy show.
You don't like RT reporting because you say they are biased yet you accept capitalist/western reporting on the Soviet Union. That is called hypocrisy

MOTHA FUCKIN BOOM

You cited the international business times. Of course is going to be anti-communist.

Wikipedia-not accepted when I use it and it's not accepted when you use it.

The distributed republic states that it is a liberal website. Liberals have always hated communism.

Stanford. A school where all the richest capitalists get to learn. Anti-communist.

Historyofrussia.org from the U.S. - Anti-communist.

You are a stupid mother fucking hypocrite.

Aren't you just adorable, and when is it that we say your wiki posts don't count, oh thats right when they have been removed several times for false content. Also RT is not automatically dismissed because they are RT but when they show their bias. So go ahead and link 1 source that doesn't credit Stalin with at least 3 million deaths. Oh and you never responded in the Mussolini thread where is your evidence I am waiting.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Yeah. I think Revenant's figures were a little on the high side, but that's not particularly the point.

Stalin was one stone cold blooded motherfucker. Come on. Seriously?

... this is my signature!
10-07-2013, 09:08 PM
(10-07-2013 12:13 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Yeah. I think Revenant's figures were a little on the high side, but that's not particularly the point.

Stalin was one stone cold blooded motherfucker. Come on. Seriously?

"Stone cold blooded motherfucker". What leader hasn't or can't be called that?
10-07-2013, 09:13 PM
(10-07-2013 11:59 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(10-07-2013 11:55 AM)I and I Wrote:  Again, your hypocrisy is getting to be like a bad comedy show.
You don't like RT reporting because you say they are biased yet you accept capitalist/western reporting on the Soviet Union. That is called hypocrisy

MOTHA FUCKIN BOOM

You cited the international business times. Of course is going to be anti-communist.

Wikipedia-not accepted when I use it and it's not accepted when you use it.

The distributed republic states that it is a liberal website. Liberals have always hated communism.

Stanford. A school where all the richest capitalists get to learn. Anti-communist.

Historyofrussia.org from the U.S. - Anti-communist.

You are a stupid mother fucking hypocrite.

Aren't you just adorable, and when is it that we say your wiki posts don't count, oh thats right when they have been removed several times for false content. Also RT is not automatically dismissed because they are RT but when they show their bias. So go ahead and link 1 source that doesn't credit Stalin with at least 3 million deaths. Oh and you never responded in the Mussolini thread where is your evidence I am waiting.

You made a claim and you have to provide evidence fitting with Th standards you place on others as to what evidence is.

So Wikipedia is accepted now as evidence? Yet when I post a pic of McCain with Alqaeda terrorists, along with news reports of his meeting and discussing logistics of providing more support, along with his admitting that he met with the guys in the pic......somehow STILL isn't enough evidence that the U.S. funds Alqaeda. That means you are an idiot that would never accept any evidence if it went against your belief.
10-07-2013, 09:21 PM
(07-07-2013 09:20 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(07-07-2013 12:39 AM)I and I Wrote:  http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/05/31...yria-VIDEO

He met with terrorists and discussed logistics of sending more help

Cnn reported on his visit as well, now of course in the CNN piece they are called rebels. http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=l0hmzusIY...0hmzusIYys

Then later it's revealed that some in the meeting are leaders of terrorist groups.
http://on.aol.com/video/mccains-unfortun...-517799117

the claim was first reported in places like press tv but of course they can't be true, the story picks up steam in the west then the excuses start rolling out of that old fucks diaper.

Ok thats a good start, actual news pieces about what you are claiming. Now, since all the stuff you link has the official story what is your proof that he actually helped arm them counter to his claims that he was never made aware of them in the meetings. At this point I have not made a judgement on which is true, because the claim that they just snuck in for a photo shoot without him being aware of who they are does stretch credibility.

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
28-09-2013, 08:48 PM
(09-07-2013 12:18 PM)Julius Wrote:  Ever heard the quote that "The Pen is mightier than the Sword?"

Is this true, and does history bear it out?

Here is the quote in context from the play "Richelieu; Or the Conspiracy":

True, This! —
Beneath the rule of men entirely great
The pen is mightier than the sword. Behold
The arch-enchanters wand! — itself is nothing! —
But taking sorcery from the master-hand
To paralyse the Cæsars, and to strike
The loud earth breathless! — Take away the sword —
States can be saved without it!

This quote is about diplomacy. He's saying the pen represents peaceful dealings with other nations to stop or prevent wars and the sword IS war. So saying "Take away the sword States can be saved without it" means that there is an alternative to war which is peace. Diplomatic documents are drawn up with the pen to promote peace between nations to prevent war. Being mighty means to have great power and that doesn't necessarily mean to have great military power. Well, thats my interpretation anyway.
28-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Or to put it another way...

I and I

The pen is.

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-09-2013, 02:25 AM
There is some truth in the statement, but it is also worth noting that the pen would be powerless without the sword. Not saying we should do away with swords, mind you. A Roman Proverb you may be familiar with is "Arms Keep Peace" which also has some truth in it. The problem with getting rid of your means to attack is that the other guy won't, and he will be all to happy to take what is yours. We're humans. We like power. 'Things' represent power. Humans generally crave power. The math says it can't work without changing another variable.