Is the Pope Catholic?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2015, 11:18 AM
Is the Pope Catholic?
I donno. He's turning into an Episcopalian or an Anglican or something. Easing annulment and abortion forgiveness, might as well take up residence with the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
08-09-2015, 11:26 AM
RE: Is the Pope Catholic?
He's sure making a lot of old school Catholics uncomfortable. As far as I can see, the Pope isn't really changing Catholic doctrine, he's just expressing it in a less assholish way than previous popes have.

I bet at some point, there will be an attempt at a coup.
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
08-09-2015, 11:28 AM
Agreed. I haven't heard anything from the Irish Catholic side of my family yet--but some are pretty conservative--so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
08-09-2015, 11:29 AM
Better not mean that bears are coming to shit in my house. Undecided

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like houseofcantor's post
08-09-2015, 12:17 PM
The wackos over at Suscipe Domine (http://www.suscipedomine.com) must be wailing and gnashing their teeth. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
08-09-2015, 01:19 PM
rhe abortion forgiveness is only for a few months that priests have that particular authority.

The annulment issue.. It's still hard to get one, but if you go through the process it's more likely to be approved if you meet the criteria (like not married in the church). All that's different now is it doesn't need to go back and forth between the archbishop and the parish priest.

I think they've also dropped the fees for it.

Die hard Catholics have had issues with that for years. Technically they are barred from any sacrament Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-09-2015, 01:23 PM
(08-09-2015 11:26 AM)julep Wrote:  He's sure making a lot of old school Catholics uncomfortable. As far as I can see, the Pope isn't really changing Catholic doctrine, he's just expressing it in a less assholish way than previous popes have.

I bet at some point, there will be an attempt at a coup.

Yes this. In the case of annulment he's streamlined the process a little.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-09-2015, 01:31 PM
(08-09-2015 01:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  rhe abortion forgiveness is only for a few months that priests have that particular authority.

The annulment issue.. It's still hard to get one, but if you go through the process it's more likely to be approved if you meet the criteria (like not married in the church). All that's different now is it doesn't need to go back and forth between the archbishop and the parish priest.

I think they've also dropped the fees for it.

Die hard Catholics have had issues with that for years. Technically they are barred from any sacrament Drinking Beverage

I don't think they've actually done anything just yet. I think these are some of the latest proposals PF is laying out for discussion. At least that's how I'm understanding it.

As for annulment fees ... he wants to make it free! A tad ballsy, in my opinion. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
08-09-2015, 01:56 PM
I don't get how the abortion issue works with Catholics. Do women confess this anonymously in the confessional booth or is did the confessional booth go the same way as the phone booth and they tell the priest face to face? If face to face confession is the case I wouldn't think many women would say anything about it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
08-09-2015, 02:18 PM
In my rather uncharitable opinion, whether consciously or not, he's just making the necessary reforms so that the Catholic church can continue to cash in and not be seen as the outmoded medieval remnant that it is. He's a good poster boy, but that's *why* they call them poster boys. Or altar boys Laughat

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post