Is the Pope Catholic?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-09-2015, 02:25 PM
RE: Is the Pope Catholic?
(08-09-2015 01:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't get how the abortion issue works with Catholics. Do women confess this anonymously in the confessional booth or is did the confessional booth go the same way as the phone booth and they tell the priest face to face? If face to face confession is the case I wouldn't think many women would say anything about it.

It's done in confession. Murder is one of those things they aren't supposed to absolve on their own (the priest) its got to come from higher.

You have to show a lot of contrition. What the pope is saying if a woman goes to confession and shows that she's truly sorry; there's no reason that the priest can't absolve her during the jubilee.

This way the woman can participate in the sacrament of communion. Technically she shouldn't, until she's looked for forgiveness from the church.

Drinking Beverage

ETA also confession is rarely anonymous. If your a member of the Parrish and go to confession there the priest knows who you are.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-09-2015, 02:28 PM
(08-09-2015 02:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 01:56 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I don't get how the abortion issue works with Catholics. Do women confess this anonymously in the confessional booth or is did the confessional booth go the same way as the phone booth and they tell the priest face to face? If face to face confession is the case I wouldn't think many women would say anything about it.

It's done in confession. Murder is one of those things they aren't supposed to absolve on their own (the priest) its got to come from higher.

You have to show a lot of contrition. What the pope is saying if a woman goes to confession and shows that she's truly sorry; there's no reason that the priest can't absolve her during the jubilee.

This way the woman can participate in the sacrament of communion. Technically she shouldn't, until she's looked for forgiveness from the church.

Drinking Beverage

She gotta acknowledge that she's a dirty sinner though Angry And only Jesus can clean her.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-09-2015, 02:34 PM
(08-09-2015 02:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 02:25 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's done in confession. Murder is one of those things they aren't supposed to absolve on their own (the priest) its got to come from higher.

Drinking Beverage

She gotta acknowledge that she's a dirty sinner though Angry And only Jesus can clean her.

This is why when I was a real card carrying Catholic, I only went to confession once. I found the idea really stupid.

However one of our friends recently started going and said that she finds it comforting.

I'd rather tell you guys the twisted stuff I do Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-09-2015, 02:40 PM
(08-09-2015 02:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'd rather tell you guys the twisted stuff I do Tongue

Whispered throatily in the back of a smoke-filled jazz lounge, for preference.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
08-09-2015, 02:41 PM
(08-09-2015 02:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 02:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  She gotta acknowledge that she's a dirty sinner though Angry And only Jesus can clean her.

This is why when I was a real card carrying Catholic, I only went to confession once. I found the idea really stupid.

However one of our friends recently started going and said that she finds it comforting.

I'm listening......

Shocking

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
08-09-2015, 03:02 PM
(08-09-2015 01:19 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The annulment issue.. It's still hard to get one, but if you go through the process it's more likely to be approved if you meet the criteria (like not married in the church). All that's different now is it doesn't need to go back and forth between the archbishop and the parish priest.

I think they've also dropped the fees for it.

Die hard Catholics have had issues with that for years. Technically they are barred from any sacrament Drinking Beverage

Yabut, if they were True Catholics®, they wouldn't be getting divorced in the first place. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-09-2015, 03:24 PM
(08-09-2015 02:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(08-09-2015 02:28 PM)morondog Wrote:  She gotta acknowledge that she's a dirty sinner though Angry And only Jesus can clean her.

Quote: rather tell you guys the twisted stuff I do Tongue

And we'd rather hear it! Evil_monster

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
08-09-2015, 05:14 PM
Okay, long-ish but true story here: I had a friend who IMO was just very slightly retarded. He was a devout Catholic and was a really nice guy. He came to visit me when I was living in Mexico and it was nice to see an old friend who I had not seen in a couple of years. Now, my friend went to confession religiously. I mean, if he missed confession once he was extremely agitated. And though he knew enough Spanish to order a beer or visit a ramera, he did not know enough Spanish to confess. And having visited several rameras on his way to visit me, he felt very much in need of confession. So, to help him out I went around to a bunch of churches in the neighborhood looking for one that had an English-speaking priest. I found one, and found out what time the priest was available for confession, and I walked my friend to the church and I went about my business, since my friend could easily enough find his way back to my place when he was done.

That afternoon I was at home and my friend showed up, looking disturbed. I asked him if he'd done his confession, and he said yes. So I asked him what was wrong, since it was obvious something was. It turns out that (as Catholics will know, but I did not) there are very specific words the priest speaks to absolve the penitent of his sins, and the Mexican priest didn't use the exact words normally used in English confessions. Instead, he expressed the idea, using his own translation from the Spanish formula.

My friend felt on a visceral level, that his absolution didn't "take" because the "correct" words were not spoken. I asked him if he really thought that God had not forgiven him, just because the priest altered the words of the absolution. My friend would not say that he really thought God cared about the form, but it was clear that without the exact words, he did not FEEL forgiven.

He really was a good guy, just not very bright. I had met him when he started working at the homeless shelter where I worked. The most unpleasant job there was cleaning the bathrooms, and that job belonged to whichever staff member did the breakfast shift. His second or third day there he pulled the breakfast shift, and I told him that meant it was his turn to clean the bathrooms. I already had his number. One or two days and I knew him through and through. So when he balked at cleaning the bathrooms, I just told him to "pray on it," and I walked away. An hour or two later I noticed that he was cleaning the bathrooms. A good guy, just not very bright. I would not have told him anything I didn't want his priest to hear about.

"El mar se mide por olas,
el cielo por alas,
nosotros por lágrimas."
-- Jaime Sabines
[+] 1 user Likes daniel1948's post
08-09-2015, 10:40 PM
(08-09-2015 02:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'd rather tell you guys the twisted stuff I do Tongue

Hehe Blush Although... I imagine the ol' priest would have to lie down after hearing your confession Big Grin Half tempted to dare you to Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
08-09-2015, 10:47 PM
(08-09-2015 02:18 PM)morondog Wrote:  In my rather uncharitable opinion, whether consciously or not, he's just making the necessary reforms so that the Catholic church can continue to cash in and not be seen as the outmoded medieval remnant that it is. He's a good poster boy, but that's *why* they call them poster boys. Or altar boys Laughat

I too agree that's it's mostly cynical ploy.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post