Is the art independent of the artist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2010, 07:40 PM
RE: Is the art independent of the artist?
(22-12-2010 06:43 PM)BnW Wrote:  I think the art is separate from the artist but I won't patronize certain things because of who the artist is. For example, Woody Allen, Mel Gibson and Roman Polanski will never, ever see a penny of my money, I don't care how artistic or good the film may be. All 3 can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.

I have to disagree with you here. Firstly, because Allen, Polanski and Gibson have all made some of my favorite movies. And secondly because when we go into the grocery, we don't know that the man who owns the shop is not molesting his daughter. We don't know that our postman is not a raging bigot when we give him his holiday tip. We don't know that that the baker doesn't have a dead body in his basement when we order our scones.

I have a personal problem with infidelity. I will not sit in the same room with someone who I know has cheated on a spouse. I won't accept a drink from the guy or girl who flirts with my girlfriend. Still, I have to acknowledge enjoying the films of both Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. I think Katherine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy were brilliant together on screen. If I was to meet Meg Ryan in a social setting, I'd ignore her and walk away if she struck up a conversation, but I think Joe vs the Volcano was a stellar performance by her. And if she was to stop acting and open a book store in my neighborhood, I'd shop there because the closest bookstore is forty miles away and I want somebody - anybody - to open one closer to my house. Even if Hitler was to resurrect and build it, I'd shop there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-12-2010, 09:22 AM
RE: Is the art independent of the artist?
Well, life is often about choices and I chose to act differently. I can't make decisions about things I don't know, like what the man who owns my local super market does with his daughter. If I have those facts, then I can make decisions accordingly.

As for Woody Allen, Mel Gibson and Roman Polanski, you are of course free to hand over to them as much of you money as you wish. I am also free to hand over none of mine, which is the choice I've made.

I used to have a list of companies that I would not deal with too because of certain things they had done. I did not expect anything to come from it, but it was my own private protest. Unfortunately, the ethics in the corporate world have gotten so incredibly bad that it's now impossible to draw lines like that because I'll end up having to live a 5,000 B.C. lifestyle, and I'm really not prepared to do that.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply