Is the belief in heaven always bad?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-09-2012, 10:09 AM
RE: Is the belief in heaven always bad?
I believe I once met a stripper named Heaven. That wasn't so bad.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
21-09-2012, 10:18 AM
(21-09-2012 09:34 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It is a coping mechanism on par with reincarnation. Sure it seems to be helpful in dealing with death and morality, but no more so than believing in Santa makes you look forward to Christmas. ....

I'm sure you meant "mortality" instead of "morality".
If not, I don't understand the relation between "death" and "morality" in this context.

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-09-2012, 10:31 AM
Mortality, yes

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
21-09-2012, 10:33 AM
(21-09-2012 10:18 AM)KVron Wrote:  
(21-09-2012 09:34 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It is a coping mechanism on par with reincarnation. Sure it seems to be helpful in dealing with death and morality, but no more so than believing in Santa makes you look forward to Christmas. ....

I'm sure you meant "mortality" instead of "morality".
If not, I don't understand the relation between "death" and "morality" in this context.

He's referring to Hellbound's stripper. Maybe he found (im)morality in Heaven?

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
21-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Not if you believe it's here and now. ... so's hell.

"Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

Never understood why everyone just assumes Christ meant close in time instead of close in space, i.e. within reach.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
21-09-2012, 12:47 PM
When not a single faith monk can agree on its very property, yes it's always bad.

Leviticus does not justify stupidity, but it is more than enough to define corruption of the human mind.

[Image: 24851795.jpg]
21-09-2012, 01:30 PM
There are rules to get into "heaven" that you have to follow........ rules that control you and generally fuck up all the people who dont transcribe to them.

So as long as there are no rules to get into this place.... as much of a false hope like chas mentioned previously it is.... then I see no problem with believing what you want.

As much as I enjoy life..... I look forward to the time when I eventually will croak it and experience nothing anymore..... that will be bliss Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
27-09-2012, 12:31 AM
(21-09-2012 09:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider

Is a belief in Santa always bad?

I have to say yes it it. My mom was able to use santa not coming if I didn't behave as a way to get me to do what she wanted. Just as heaven and hell are used for the religious.
27-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Heaven is a coping mechanism for those who need it, and nothing more. I must admit, for a few years of my life, I myself found the notion of heaven comfortable when dealing with deaths of Great X relatives and much loved pets. After attending a few funerals with my parents, I quickly came to the conclusion that that people need it, not believe it.

I'll keep my opinions of those who need it to myself, for now at least...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
27-09-2012, 11:24 AM
Is the OP assuming you can strip heaven from all the other Christian mythology and asking is it OK for someone to believe in heaven just so long as they don't believe in any of the rest of the baggage?

If so, I am not sure that's really possible; at least, I've never met anyone who cherry picks their Christianity (or any other belief system) to that extreme.

So, since (at least in my experience) believing in heaven also means believing in all or at least most of the other junk that comes along with it, then my answer is Yes, the belief in heaven seems to always be bad because it comes with an indoctrination that mandates gullibility, snobbery, and disenfranchisement, none of which is really healthy for mankind in general.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post